1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Vecna

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by jesper898, Nov 22, 2001.

1. jesper898 Guest

ok we have been discussing Vecna at the Planescape Torment board so im posting a topic here.
    Who is Vecna? lets hear what you know:)

2. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Apparently a lich. That's what I got from the Robe of Vecna that's with the cheat merchant in BG2

Ara
    (Playing BG2 as a lawful evil assassin... can we say Wannabe? Thank the Force, not a freestyler...)

3. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

I raed somewhere that he was a lich that become so powerful that he actually ascended to deity-hood, or what you wanna call it :)

4. ArchAngel Guest

[​IMG] From our beloved master David "Zeb" Cook.

AT last. Sheesh. I must be getting slower than an android with a bad dust contamination. Here you can trace Vecna's biography from his youth. Scroll down to year 1747. Read and enjoy :)

[This message has been edited by ArchAngel (edited November 22, 2001).]

5. Tasohan Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

I've read in the 3rd edition rulebooks that Vecna was an evil arch-lich who lost his hand and eye in a battle with his liutenant Kas.
    Kas died but Vecna did'nt and Vecna became the god of secrets some time after that.

6. ArchAngel Guest

[​IMG] So the information in my link is wrong Tasohan?

There both Kas and Vecna dies. Vecna was weakened from his long fight with the Elven High king "Galitholian Glitterhelm". The only remains of Vecna is his hand and eyes. Oh well. No big deal.

[This message has been edited by ArchAngel (edited November 22, 2001).]

7. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Nobleman, please, leave it alone. I tried to explain the same thing to them that Vecna died, but in d&d books the lich remains alive. Like d&d is something untouchable.
    This is getting nowhere.

Instead of posting here, move your butt to chatroom already!

8. Vormaerin Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Extremist, I know your idiom is to be a PITA 75% of the time and disperse helpful info the remainder, but could you give it a rest? You might have noticed that these fora cover BOTH CRPGs and pnp stuff, so people are perfectly within their rights to ask about D&D material. You had a point that the topic probably didn't belong in the PST area, but that's about it.

Its especially silly for you to have a hissy fit over the 'sacredness' of D&D material in regards to a topic like this. After all, Vecna is purely a D&D creation. He exists solely in the works of TSR and those they authorize to use it. I'm sorry you think a short paragraph sketch in PST is more relevant than the 20+ years of this popular villian's pnp existance. That's your perogative, though. But you out to just stay out of topics that don't interest you, rather than harass the people for which it is of interest.

As to the question at hand, in the original Greyhawk materials (done by Gygax) Vecna was slain by Kas and the Hand and Eye were the only surviving things. Something of Vecna's personality lingered in them and attempted to possess anyone foolish enough to use them. But that's about it. Much, much later, the adventure my Mr. Cook was written to capitalize on Vecna's popularity among D*D players. In it, Vecna turns out not to be quite so dead, but rather seeks to possess the bearer of his artifacts in truth. Somehow this ends up with him being a god instead (not sure how, never bought the adventure). So the link was probably accurate when written, but affected by later revisionism. Or you could argue that Vecna was "resurrected" by the fool who was stupid enough to use the Hand and the Eye together.

Aloha
    Vormaerin

[This message has been edited by Vormaerin (edited November 23, 2001).]

9. ArchAngel Guest

[​IMG] Yep. That about covers what my quote by David "Zeb" Cook and my link tell. Except that Cook says both Vecna and Kas dies. Ok?

The August 1998 release "Vecna lives" by Monte Cook doesn't really feature Vecna and the players will face him only if his soul has been relesed in the plane. He is caugt in a prison in a demiplane, after beeing killed by Kas. (the Cook release)

The June 2000 release "Die, Vecna, Die" He has found a way to actually leave the prison and at the same time roam as a god. You meet lady of pain too(from PST, look Extremist :D ). Ok I'll keep it short. This Scenario is WORTH playing. It is great. Characterlevel 10-13. I would rate it a bit higher. But that is me, never friendly to my players ;).

Who said I was an obsessed DM? *Hides under his hood and looks around in anxiety*

PS. Vormaerin don't be rude to Extremist, he is just protective of PST. that is all. Vecna does die after all. :)

PS: My only concern is that I haven't the 3rd edition rules. So I can't read what stuff they put in it.

[This message has been edited by ArchAngel (edited November 23, 2001).]

10. Vormaerin Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Well, I have no interest in being rude to anyone, but even less interest in others being rude to me or those I'm talking to. :(

I didn't realize there were two Vecna modules (I didn't play much, if any, D&D during the 2e era). Still, it just sounds like a basic definitional problem. Vecna was a lich, so he was already "dead" in a biological sense when he fought Kas. The battle with Kas did not permanently destroy him, so did it make him more "dead" or not? :p

I don't have the 3e Greyhawk campaign book, so I don't know what it says there. All it says in the PH is that Vecna is the god of secrets.

Aloha
    Vormaerin

11. ArchAngel Guest

[​IMG] Yeah, I can settle with that. :)

Vecna envied the Elves for having long lives. So he altered himself to be a lich. I guess that already makes him dead. His body was destroyed by Kas (except hand and eye of course) and his soul trapped in a planar prison. I guess that doesn't rule him as completely dead. heh.

[This message has been edited by ArchAngel (edited November 23, 2001).]

12. Azardu Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

The info given in the Living Greyhawk Gazetteer:
    Vecna was a terrifying and evil Flan lich-king who gained a foothold on godhood thousands of years ago. Betrayed by his lieutenant Kas, the Whispered One disappeared from Oerth, leaving behind his legend and two great artifacts, the Eye and Hand of Vecna. He recently became a lesser god after freeing himself from an extraplanar prison and now plots the destruction of all other gods so that he may take Oerth for himself. He has great hatred for Iuz and is hated and feared by other deities. His symbol is a left hand clutching a human eye.

13. Lixer Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Just so you know the "planer prison" has a name: RAVENLOFT!. If you read Vecna's information in Domains of Dread it explains that when people started worshiping Vecna he became a demigod. He then forged a link to Oerth in an atempt to become Over-god. This allowed the Mists to take him. I asume he ascended from demigod to lesser god when he escaped.

PS. Does anyone know what plane he lives on?

14. Azardu Gems: 9/31

Speaking of Ravenloft, has anyone checked out the new third edition Ravenloft book?
    Comments and thoughts on this one would be appreciated. Someone please check if it has anything to say about Vecna as well...

15. Lixer Gems: 1/31

Neither R3E or SotDR(the 2 3E Ravenloft Books)mention Vecna

16. Azardu Gems: 9/31

I should have guessed.
    Seeing as both Vecna and Soth originally belong in other settings, WotC probably didn't want to give the people doing Ravenloft 3E any sort of control over them. And Vecna probably escaped that place anyway before he came back to Oerth as a god.
    But straying a bit off topic, how did Soth escape Ravenloft?

17. Black Rose Guest

All I know 'bout Vecna is that he is connected to three very powerful artifacts (2E Book of Artifacts, I believe by that same Zeb Cook)

- The hand of Vecna
    - The eye of Vecna
    - The sword of Kas (yes, Vecna's general)

18. Lixer Gems: 1/31

Soth escaped Ravenloft in the novel Spectre of the Black Rose.

19. void Guest

Does Vecna exist/has he ever existed in the forgotten realms?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.