1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Valygar?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Buddas Hand, May 3, 2002.

1. Vormaerin Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

err, Insect plague? I don't recall him being able to cast level 5 druid spells. Are you sure about that?

2. Gonzago Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I think he means the other one...the one that only affects a single target.

3. Turandil Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

About the armor, I think that valygars armor rock. And rangers should not have any damn platemail, if so the only advantages he has over fighters is charm animal and some low druid spells, and he suffers grandmastery in weapons. Rangers shall have studded so they can stealth. Never play characvters because they are bether.

4. Bateluer Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Valygar's Katana is nice because of the poison/bleeding damage it does, I forget which it is. It can take out a troll after then have collapsed. :)

5. Vukodlak Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Veteran

[​IMG] :aaa:

Yup, sorry I meant summon insects - affects only one person but still useful.

6. Bombur

Bombur I'm always last and I don't like it

I happen to like Valygar a lot. For one thing, he's the only black male in the game. For another, he doesn't cow to the PC like that brown-noser Mazzy.

For another, his backstabbing ability kicks butt over a thief's because of his much lower THACO. I think the much better chance to hit is a great trade-off for the slightly reduced damage multiplier at lower levels. With a good strength enhancer, his backstab is truly devastating.

He got great stealth too (better than Yoshimo), so he's very good at reconnaisance. Better yet, since he doesn't have to use an invisibility spell or potion, he can take out lone enemies and keep going on recon.

And he does talk about things, like disliking magic, wondering about Lavok's redeemability, asking about family, etc.

His armor is also great because it provides resistance to so many things, including charm-based spells. That frees him up to wear something other than a helmet of charm protection on his head.

I prefer letting him learn long sword as he levels up so that he can backstab with a hefty weapon (for some reason only Yoshimo seems to be able to backstab with a katana, plus there are some great long swords in the game).

His spells are really useful too, if you remember to use them. I like to give him spells that are not level-dependent for their results, since he doesn't cast as a high-level caster. he can be the one to memorize minor spells you always want to have around, like slow poison.

[This message has been edited by Bombur (edited May 07, 2002).]

7. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Just a lil' correction here.

Any class who normally can backstab, also can backstab with katana that is useable by pure thief. This means backstabbing is available even with Celestial Fury for any backstabbing class (except cleric/thief because this class cannot use C. Fury at all).

The inability to backstab with Valygar's katana is something else. It is a bug. That katana (Corthala Family Blade) is set on not to be useable by "thief", and as such can't be used for backstabbing.

[This message has been edited by Extremist (edited May 07, 2002).]

8. Bombur

Bombur I'm always last and I don't like it

Really? Cool! Guess I just gave up on the katana too soon.

9. Vukodlak Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Veteran

While we're still on backstabbing. Can one backstab with a staff? I know you can't backstab with the staff of the magi (again I guess not usable by a tief) but what about other staffs?

(And please I am asking about in the game, not for opinions on whether it is logical to 'stab' someone with a two-meter stick).

One more good thing about Valygar: his racial enemy is the golem - of which there are many in the game. Helpful.

10. Extremist Gems: 31/31

Not many golems?
    Have you ever visited Windspear Hills, etc etc? [Edited in: Sorry, I totally sc**wed this one, I misread your post. Slim, thanks for notice. I'm probably too sleepy... :(]

Fo backstabbing you may use ANY melee weapon that pure thief class can use. Weapons available to DC or MC thief, but not to pure thief can't be used for backstabbing. Staffs that thieves may use can also be a backstabbing weapon.

[This message has been edited by Extremist (edited May 08, 2002).]

11. SlimShogun Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] No, no. He said there are many golems in the game.

12. Errol Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

notice how Ex said "he sc***ed this post". IE.made a mistake.

13. Extremist Gems: 31/31

[​IMG] There is nothing wrong to admit you were wrong about something. Even when it comes to posting. At least I think that. If I was wrong, well, I'll say I was wrong. I'm not keeping the point even after it's obvious the point was uncorrect.

Now, back to the topic, ok? ;)

14. aldekeuk Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Here's my dilemna - wondering who I should keep in my party when I get to leave Chapter 2. Valygar or Keldorn?

Rest of my party is Minsc, Jaheira, Yoshimo, Aerie, and myself - a cavalier (albeit one without proficiency in two handed sword (for the Holy Avenger when I get the guts to go get it))

I've played with Keldorn for a while and he seems pretty strong and just got Valygar to go do the Planar Sphere.

Any recommendations? Thanks :roll:

15. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

I'd say dump Yoshimo, and get both Keldorn and Valygar. Yoshimo is my Anomen :)

16. Zakar Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Drop Keldorn. Keldorn chews A**.

only 17 str and 09 Dex. 09 dex?

(Ramble On)
    Plus he is so damn annoying. I am sick of those Order Freaks. Him an Anomen. (Who also incidently has low Dex. Maybe that is a prerequisite of joining the order of the bleeding heart. You have to be a goofy uncordinated annoying little B****.)

I have Amonen in my party. Oh it hurts me so. Dumping as soon as i can get good fighter guy from TOB. (Who I may or may not be allowed to mention here)
    When I cleared out the guarded compound (which IMNSHO, is the 3rd hardest battle in the game), he started bragging about how boring our battles are, and how many damn giants he slaughtered. If he didn't have over 2.5 million xp already I would have my Dust Memphit slowly eat him alive.

(/Ramble)

17. aldekeuk Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I'm only keeping Yoshimo till I can get Imoen back...

Valygar only has 17 strength too, and keldorn's 9 dex can be upgraded with the gauntlets of dexterity...

I guess the question is what "better/necessary" abilities does one provide over the other for the long haul... given the current makeup of my party

18. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

The Dexterity of Keldorn is easily increased with the Gloves of Dexterity, and with the amount of Strength increasing belts in the game, I doubt that's much of a problem either.

It's very simple really. Don't like Anomen? Don't take him into your party. It's not like he's forced on you or something.

On the Keldorn chewing A**, I think everyone should be allowed to eat whatever they want. To judge someone on his food is discrimination in my opinion. :p

19. Zakar Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

The thing was, I didn't realise how annoying Amonen was when I got him in my party. Now it is too late.

Keldorn is phycotic anyway. He has his wife arrested and kills his wifes lover. Id take Valygars boringness over Keldorns or Amonens bleeding hearts anyway. I play as an assaisin, and almost everytime I spoke to a fellow shadow theives, he starts whining about how much he hates associating with theives. He never complained once when we sold out soulfuren, phaere, the matron mother and the silver dragon. Or when I killed Drizzit. He just really doesn't like those theives.

Drives me insane it does.

20. Vormaerin Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Zakar,

I think the Keldorn doesn't suit your personality. You'd be much happier with Korgan. :) Anyway, Keldorn only goes crazy like that if you egg him on. He never does that in my games. As for the drow situation, why should he care if you doublecross a bunch of demon worshippers? He's an INQUISITOR. He hunts down diabolists for a living. Saving the world and general do-goodying is just a hobby.

Anyway, to answer the original poster:

In general, Keldorn is more effective if that is what you are asking. Both will do a good job as fighters. Valygar has some minor spellcasting ability and is very good at stealth. Keldorn has the super Dispel and True Sight. He can also use Carsomyr, though you can as well if you want to get the proficiency.

So it depends on your playstyle. If you want to do a lot of scouting via stealth, you probably want Valygar since he is appreciably better at it than the rest of your party. You could use Minsc or Imoen for that if you really wanted to. They just wouldn't be quite as good at it. If you aren't concerned about stealth issues, your party will be stronger with Keldorn than with Valygar.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.