1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Utilizing the power of a druid

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Zahir, Sep 5, 2006.

1. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

I recommend dualing at level 9 instead.
    The extra half attack (2.5 instead of 2 attacks per round) you get for level 13 is useful (you won't gain better thac0 or HP compared to dualing at level 9 however), but you loose at least 2 druid levels + HLAs and you will only benefit only a short time from dualing. You'll spend a longer part of the game playing a pure berserker than a druid with HLAs.

If you want to try out the druidic skills don't waste too much time for gaining fighter levels else you'll be more than 1,000,000 behind a normal druid regarding XP.

2. Mordokai Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I see where you're aiming, but the main reason I want to dual at level 12(13) is an extra rage, which imo will be very useful, and GM in one weapon(probably spear, because of Impaler), which I believe can't be achieved before level 12(do correct me I'm wrong, I never played figher or any of the kits before). Besides, thac0 and extra hp are good too.

Druids gets the biggest boost on level 15, and I believe that I can reach three millions of exp quite easily. I'll also have a party to back me up, so I don't have to worry about been slashed to pieces. It's true, HLA could be a problem, but I think I'll manage somehow :)

Thanks for an advice thou, you never know, maybe I'll take it.

3. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

You can get GM in one weapon at the start of the game. You get 6 * to put where you like.

4. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    True, unless you are playing the proficiencies properly as if you had picked them going through BG. If this is the case, you would only achieve 4* in the chosen weapon.

5. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

You don't get more HP for dualing at level 12 instead of level 9.
    You gain 3 HP if you reach level 10-12 as fighter first, but you'll be about 1.5 druid levels (3 HP) behind near the end of the game. Temporary you'll even be 5 levels behind (10 HP).

You won't gain better thac0 either. Druid thac0 progression stops at 6 at level 22, the level12 fighter thac0 is worse (9).
    You'll even reach the optimal thac0 earlier if you dual earlier. Even dualing right away at level 7 is enough to reach grandmastery.

So one additional rage per day is the only remaining advantadge.
    If you compare the disadvantadges (having to spend time to enable it, AC penalty, winded state) with the little +2 attack/damage bonus it's only worth it if you need the immunities.
    But do you need them that often between two rests, especially since there are protection spells and you'll have to rest for refreshing your spells and other abilities anyway ?
    Only the extra half attack you get at level 13 might be worth waiting longer than level 9.

When dualing at level 9 I'd take 5 points in quarterstaffs (or spears) and 2 in 2-handed weapons as fighter.
    When dualing at level 13 I'd take 5 points in quarterstaffs and 3 in spears.

But there are many ways to have fun ... :)

6. Proteus_za

Proteus_za

I'm planning on using BG1Tutu to play through BG1 soon, then carrying on in BG2ToB.

If I start my character in BG1Tutu, will I still have less weapon proficiencies? Or will the new ruleset let me get the right amount?

7. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

What? Why do you think you're getting fewer weapon proficiencies than you should? And what does this have to do with druids?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.