1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Useless Information

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Aikanaro, Mar 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cross Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

It wasn't actually the whole boat, just the curving bow (as in "front of the boat") which was carved to look like a dragon's head to frighten both enemies and sea monsters. There were also three dragons, I think, in Norse mythology. The only one whose name I can remember was Nidhogg (translation: killing blow) who lived at (and gnawed at) the roots of the world tree.

2. Volsung Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Yes, I know Nidhogg. The son of Loki and a giantess(forgot her name).The World Serpent that gnaws the roots of Ygdrassil. I think Thor (or his sons) is going to kill Nidhogg in Ragnarok.

But I say that there is no word in Old Norse that stands for "dragon". I looked it up in many dictionaries but never found the word I was looking for.

3. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

At Alexander the Great

You're search may be in vain. Dragon comes from the middle east through greece. Therefore it is quite possible, that the animal came together with the word to the north. Or in other words, you might be seeking for a greek animal with a greek name that made to the Germanic tribes, when they came to Europe.

But you might try:"Lindwurm" or "Tatzewurm".

4. Baezlebub Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

I love the old norse mythology. Especially the one when Thor goes to visit the house of the giants. He is asked to compete with the giants, but they trick him (alot of tricking about back then). First they tell him to open the door, and that all teh giant children can do it. Thor can't. Then they tell him to pick up the cat, and that all the giant children can do it. Thor can't. Then they tell him to drink a horn of mead with them, but Thor can't. Then they reveal to him that the door was part of the castle, that the cat was actually the giant dragon at the bottom of the sea and that the mead was actually the ocean, and he had drained most of it. Well, Thor was pissed, so he handed out some smack down upon those giants. They didn't try and mess with HIM again.

5. Volsung Gems: 14/31

Hey, Beezlebub, we have a common interest. I love old norse mythology too :) .

6. LittleJimmy Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

[​IMG] @ Alexander The Great:

The serpent that was wrapped around the world was actually called Jormungand (or the Midgard Serpent), and was the son of Loki and Angrboda (the frost giantess).

Anyway, let's have some useless info:

There was once a French king (Louis the something) who believed that he was made entirely of glass. He ordered iron rods to be sewn into his clothes to prevent him from falling over and shattering. Nice.

7. Baezlebub Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Please, don't relate me to the prince of darkness because our names are similar. I HATE it when that happens ;) . Baezlebub for a reason.

Yes, the midgard serpent was it's name. My little bro has a book on serpents etc. The norse people are consistent with the chinese in that they beleive that serpents had manes. Maybe there WERE such things as serpents.

8. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Dragons = snakes -> Another German word for Dragon is "Lindwurm" -> worm (wyrm) -> Wurm is used for worm and (in swiss) for little snakes.

Or "Tatzelwurm" -> Serpent with claws.

If there would be a word in the old germanic languages for "dragon", it would be in the modern Germanic languages, like English and German, exist too. But there is none, because the word and Idea "dragon" comes from the Middle-East. Like in the slavic name "Dracula", which means "little Dragon" (or something similar).

Other useless information: The German Emperor William the second was the favourite grandson of the British Empress Victoria and the houses she lived in are full of pictures of him, which still may be visited. Funny.

9. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

I want more useless information. This is funny.
    So people write some more please.
    Me.... useless information?
    Oh yes i have some useless information.
    Right at this very moment in time and space i can't think of any useless information at all.
    Which is really amazing if u ask anyone that knows me.
    O i've thought of some.
    just remember that your standing on a planet thats evolving. Revolving at 900 miles an hour. Its orbting at 90 miles a second so its recond the sun that is the sorce of all our power. The sun and you and me and all the stars that we can see are moving at 1000000 miles a day. In an outer spirl arm of a galixy we call the milxy way.
    Our galixy its self contains a hundered billion stars. Its a 100,000 light years side to side. It buldges in the middle 30 000 light years thick. But out by us its just 3000 light years wide. We're 20 000 light years from galaxitc central point. We go round every 400 million years. And our galixy is only one of millions of billions in the amazing and expanding universe.

The universe itself keeps on expanding and expanding in all of the derections it can wizz. As fast as it can go, thats the speed of light you know, 12 million miles a second and thats the fastest thing there is. So remember when your feeling very small and insecure how amazingly unlikly is your birth. And pray that there intelegent life some where up in space coz there bugger all down here on earth.

Well thats a song i found (well a song i know) with an amazing amount of useless information.
    I know for a fact that the speed of light thing isn't right. Incase your wondering (which i'm sure your not) its called galixy by Monty Python and if off the movie the meaning of life.

10. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Oh and don´t become an organdonor :D

- We come to take your organs
    - But I´m not dead yet!
    - Oh, we will take care of that

11. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Antigravity and antimatter have apparently been invented.

12. Volsung Gems: 14/31

So if Jormungand was the Midgard serpent then who was Nidhogg?

Useless information?
    I just ate spaghetti. :p

This thread and random babbling post are the best. :)

13. Oxymore Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Some time ago, a bunch of scientists assembled the first anti-atom, ie made from anti-electrons, anti-protons... the names of the people who joined in the effort were listed alphabetically on the report, the first name was ... Antipov. :D

14. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] The thief patch doesn't work in Odessy, so I had to reinstall thief losing all my games. I am going to play through it all on Expert level wish me luck!

Also on Thief, if you do the training on Expert level when you fight your live opponent grab the stuff off the table and run after him. Follow him down the corridor, there is a wall (Gone now) and through it isa door, use the key and you get into basketball court where there is a bedroll with the quotes from the team. They are funny :grin:

on Tomb raider 2, first time through, I have managed to get all three secrets on the first three levels, I will be on level four shortly.

15. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The 100-years-war lasted 116 years.

16. SoCo Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

The first TV show ever to be put into reruns was "The Lone Ranger"

17. Icingdeath45 Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

I like cheese. @LittleJimmy: you said the name of the serpant was the Midgard snake. In FFVII there was snake if I remember correctly called something like the Midgar snake. it was very large. o you think that they tok the name from that Midgard serpant?

18. Hephaestus Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Nidhogg was a rat or something that chewed on the roots of the big tree.(I think)

Greek is my specialty, not Norse.

19. Volsung Gems: 14/31

So your speciallity is Greek, aye?

20. Hephaestus Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I know more about it than any other type of mythology, so yes, it is my specialty.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.