1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

USB DSO: The Beginning

Discussion in 'BoM Blogs' started by Blackthorne TA, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I suppose some of you are wondering just what the heck you were looking at in my first blog post. Briefly - for now - it is the schematic for the back end of a Universal Serial Bus Digital Storage Oscilloscope that I designed and built.

USB most of you must be familiar with, having computers and all to visit this site. An Oscilloscope for those unfamiliar with the world of electronic diagnostics is a tool used to capture and display voltage waveforms over time. The "digital storage" part just means that it digitizes the analog voltages and stores the captured data in memory where it can be displayed and manipulated. Typically it also means it does not display the voltage waveforms in real-time; a finite amount of data is captured and subsequently displayed afterwards.

Why would I do such a thing?

Some time ago I was reflecting on how much things had changed since my University days. Data sheets for electronic parts are on every manufacturer's website making it easy to search and discover what's available and what they can do. SoCs like those from Cypress can do a whole host of things for you for a couple of dollars apiece and they provide development tools for free. PCB Fab in a Box sells a system where you can create your own high-quality single and dual sided PCBs with a laser printer, laminator and their special paper. Product companies like DipTrace and Microsoft offer their extremely high-quality development products in limited free versions for hobbyists to use. And I hadn't programmed for Windows since Borland C++ and Windows 95.

So I thought it would be nice to learn a few of these new things and make something somewhat useful at the same time. I had run across USB DSOs for sale for upwards of a couple hundred dollars, and I thought I could make something much cheaper that certainly wouldn't be as good, but would be good enough to be useful, and I would be able to learn a lot about current hardware, firmware and Windows programming (including .NET 4 and C#).

And that was the beginning.

2. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    This is great Blackthorne. I still don't really understand it but it makes me curious enough to try and learn more. I wish I had the skills you have to make things like that.

3. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Well hopefully my further adventures in blogging about my experience with this project will bring enlightenment :) Glad you are enjoying it so far.

Oh, and if anyone has questions, don't hesitate to ask. I'll be happy to answer them in comments or in a future blog post :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.