1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

USA on the Rest of the World

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Barmy Army, Jan 28, 2007.

1. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    It doesn't matter how easy it is to learn; what matters is "need". Most people do not need to know any geography or history to get along just fine in their normal lives, so they don't bother. If one is curious about something in geography or history, it is easy to look it up. If one is not interested, it wouldn't matter whether it was learned as a child or not; it has likely been forgotten.

Physical education trains people in habits and knowledge good for the body. The more out-of-shape one gets, the harder it is to recover, so learning and conditioning at an early age is important. Poor physical conditioning has many negative effects on a person's health.

2. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Good point BTA. In the last time I have seen a couple of kids who were clearly obese, at the age of 13. Horror. They will never be healthy, and not even with sport. And I don't even want to think of what they go through at the hands of the other pupils. Kids are amoral.

It is remarkable, that schools are increasingly tasked with compensating for family shortcomings, like making kids do sport, or teaching them what to eat and what to avoid, basic things in life.

3. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I don't know why you think you should have to choose between PE or Geography. We somehow managed to do both (gasp!) when I was at school. And maths and science and reading as well! We must have had time machines to fit so much in because it is clearly impossible now.

4. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Harborboy,
    I had time for both, too. Point is, that if you're a fat immobile slug you'll live a miserable life, no matter how well you know the world map.

My neigbour weighs in at 300+ pd, and I witness his suffering daily, when he torments himself up two stairs to his flat. I pray I'll never be like that, never. Well, and I run and try to eat sensibly. And I have favourable genes I guess. But still. A quote from iirc Sindbad: Trust in Allah, but mind tethering your horse.

Without wanting to prioritise PE over geography, the consequences of ignorance in geography are merely embarassing, not unhealthy.

5. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

I don't think physical eduaction prevents anyone from becoming obese. If you are in shape when you start with physical education you're likely to remain that way and the same goes for those out of shape. Unless you start using some serious military tactics you aren't going to change anything,and I for one think that military tactics in schools is a bad thing and just help to create an hostile enviorment for those who allready have trouble with PE.

6. Baronius

Baronius Mental harmony dispels the darkness ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

This is the best way to produce an uneducated population of dumbs, who know jack of the world, know jack of their nation's history, and believe all rubbish that comes from the television.
    Of course the many dates of history (except the really important ones) and other much lexical stuff can be forgotten (in fact, they really shouldn't be learned too seriously), but not knowing where New Zealand, Luxemburg or Czechoslovakia is located should be a shame for every person who believes himself/herself to be an intelligent being, regardless of his or her profession.

On the other hand, I can second your words about PE. The health of children (and thus their life) is at stake. Additionally, regarding its relationship with studying/research/job: there is no efficient, productive intellectual work without proper physical condition. The harmony of body and mind.

Just like Harbourboy, I see no reason why there would be a need to choose between them. Both are possible (or should be made possible).

7. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Thats true. Its annoying having to answer stupid questions about my country - "is it true that Irish people drink warm beer?", or "do you have Chinese restaurants over there?".

8. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Oh, I completely agree, and didn't mean to imply otherwise.

9. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

Well the confusion concerning Czechoslovakia would be quite understandable considering that there's no such country anymore, but I assume that it was only a slip of thought. ;)

10. Baronius

Baronius Mental harmony dispels the darkness ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Nice catch! (It was intentional ;) )

11. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    That's a valid counterarguement. Afterall, we are talking about introductory courses here, and as such, you really aren't taking them with the idea of having complete understanding. However, I think that physics is a special case. Afterall, Newtonian physics was developed as a direct result of calculus, a study of mathematics that also happened to be pioneered by Newton. That having been said, if you aren't interested in showing proofs of Newton's equations, you can do basic physics provided you have had basic algebra, which is taught long before high school.

12. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Sorry, BTA - I thought you were being ironic. But I could not disagree more regarding your views on PE and "good habits." What good habits are you referring to? There is a difference between being healthy and being fit. We had a seperate class, which was devoted to health that had nothing to do with PE and it dealt with nutrition and those kinds of issues. But I really don't get all this rhetoric that people don't learn any of this through the media or that it is so difficult - Have you seen the array of info-mercials with fitness junk? I wish someone here could be specific on why PE is so great, instead of speaking in such broad generalities.

13. Late-Night Thinker Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

PE is great because playing Bombardment rules! Volleyball is fun! Chicks is gym shorts...yes! Dude, c'mon...

The word you are forgetting is 'fun'.

14. Chandos the Red

Media:
    LNT - Yes, I agree that it is fun. I never took PE in high school, I was in marching band and drum and bugle corp instead. But I fail to see how PE is more useful than history or geography, regarding education.

15. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    I'm not saying PE as it stands IS better. In fact I said given the obesity reports I hear, it is in fact NOT better :)

What I am saying is that "Physical Education" in the early years IMO is more important than geography or history. Note I'm saying physical education - teaching the children about physical fitness. How it is important to your health to be fit, why it is bad not to be fit, how to get fit and maintain fitness, get them into the habit of doing and enjoying a certain amount of physical activity every day, etc.

As I said - The more you are out of shape, the harder it is for you to recover, so the less likely it will be for you to recover. Which is why I say it is more important in the early years than history or geography.

That doesn't mean everybody who learns about physical education and gets in the habit of being fit will continue to do so, but there are plenty of people who smoke when they know it's bad for them.

How exactly is history and geography so much better?
    Yes, but being fit is a necessary ingredient for longterm health.

16. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    On Wednesday I attended a lecture by Dr. Kyle Pruett, a child psychologist at Yale, researcher, author, and consultant to the preschool we use. He pointed out that there is an overwhelming amount of research that supports the idea that physical exercise - particularly activity that focuses on mastery of a skill - improves children's ability to learn, and their interest in learning about the world around them. Conversely, there is NO (nada, zip, zilch, zero) research that supports the "earlier, faster, better" approach.

Yet another problem with NCLB is that it forces schools to teach to the test, and doesn't leave time for PE, even when the authorities all say that PE is necessary.

17. Chandos the Red

Media:
    BTA - Why is it important for your health to be fit? If your activity is equal to your calorie intake, than why is it important? If you get some physical activity, like walking or running around the neighborhood a bit, eating enough of the right foods and getting enough rest, (in another words, staying healhty) who needs to be "fit?" It sounds like just another money-making scheme, especially by fitness clubs, workout equipment companies and overpaid coaches.

18. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    If you do as you say, you are "fit" - and that's what should be taught IMO. When I say fit I don't mean going to a health club and getting big muscles, flat stomach, "sexy core" and all that nonsense. I mean you get regular moderate exercise, are not too overweight and don't start wheezing when you climb a couple of stairs.

19. Sir Fink Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

To be attractive to the opposite sex. Plus it helps when you're confronted by three or four goons in some dark alley and you've got to open a can of whoop-ass.

20. Chandos the Red

Media:
    Well, OK. But it seems silly to me, at least, that what I put into one sentence needs to be taught almost every day for 12 years. I mean if they want to just let a bunch a students run around the track a couple times, a few days a week, than I suppose that's fine. It just doesn't seem like education, or something that needs to be taught. I had to take 2 semesters of PE in college to get my degree. And that's what we did - it was my last class of the day and we walked over to the stadium, ran around the field a few times, then I got in my car and drove home. Then I had to study for my real classes. :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.