1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

URGENT, Oh boy I think this is bad

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Gehn, Sep 4, 2004.

1. Gehn Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Ok, I got an e-mail a few minutes ago from "webmaster", it said:

We recently reviewed your account, and suspect that your Suntrust Internet Banking account may have been accessed by an unauthorized third party. Protecting the security of your account and of the Suntrust network is our primary concern. Therefore, as a preventative measure, we have temporarily limited access to sensitive account features.

To restore your account access, please take the following steps to ensure that your account has not been compromised:

1. Login to your Suntrust Internet Banking account. In case you are not enrolled for Internet Banking, you will have to use your Social Security Number as both your Personal ID and Password and fill in all the required information, including your name and your account number.

2. Review your recent account history for any unauthorized withdrawals or deposits, and check your account profile to make sure not changes have been made. If any unauthorized activity has taken place on your account, report this to Suntrust Bank staff immediately.

To get started, please click the link below:

Now, I have never heard of this "suntrust", But it looks pretty official and serious. So, what do I do? Heeelp.

[ September 04, 2004, 21:50: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. Wildfire Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Ignore it.

If you haven't heard of Suntrust, clearly you don't have an account with them, and even if you did, almost all of emails like these are scams.

3. Gehn Gems: 7/31

Are you absolutely sure? I just checked out their site, its all proffessional. Also it says that to restore my account I need to do all the stuff it says.

4. Wildfire Gems: 23/31

Veteran

Do you have an account with them to restore in the first place?

5. Gehn Gems: 7/31

Well that's why I thought I'd post here. Like I said, I've never heard of them, but perhaps I do, so i'm really not sure. Perhaps they were a feature in my internet banking that came with my account when I set it up.

6. Wildfire Gems: 23/31

Veteran

Definitely just ignore it, then. There are millions of emails like this sent out to random people to try and get their account details and so on.

7. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

Ask your bank. This is most likely a scam though. And "professional-looking" websites mean nothing, i could come up with one in a hour.

8. Chimera Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

9. Gehn Gems: 7/31

Chimera, you rule! Thanks very much everyone else too, I appreciate the help. Ah well, crisis over. Thanks.

10. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    Yeah, all information entered would then go into their database. Dont do anything with the link provided.

11. Erebus Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Email the b*st*rd back to them, thats what I'd do.

12. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

...And yet another hapless scam-victim saved... :shake:

@ Erebus

That will only mean that you will be permanently added to their spam-lists -it's all automatic so you just end up harming yourself. ;)

13. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Scam. I've been receiving account-related e-mails from Citibank the same way, although I don't have any account with them. Impostors or someone springing the automated procedure of sending mails. Don't know. But some kind of scam at any rate.

14. teekc Gems: 23/31

i received one from U.S. Bank impostor and i really have an usbank account! It was a well designed email with usbank logo and everything. How i nearly got cheated. i clicked on the link, already keyed in half page and realized that the page was not under usbank.com domain!

15. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Never, ever give away private information about bank accounts etc. unless you are the person to initiate the transaction.

Never click on a link from an email that purports to take you to a place where you can log in with your information. If you have such logins, you already know what the correct site is.

16. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] That's the easiest way to check whether something is legit or not - check the domain of the url (what actually comes up in your browser, not what's written in the mail). If the domain's not right, it's a fraud.

17. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I can't believe how many of these scams are floating around at the moment. I get several of them a week. It's a bit of a nightmare. On a related note, someone did get hold of my account details recently and has been using them to incur over a $1,000 of expenses before I froze my account. Now I have to deal with my bank to prove them that it wasn't me and try and get my money back. Grrrrr!! Criminals! :mad:

18. Darkthrone Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

You've got to be careful with giving that advice. It is only valid if the destination site doesn't use frames. It is possible to do "phishing" in a single frame of an otherwise legit URL. The only way of being certain that you are where you expect to be would be following what Blackthorne TA advises: never follow a link, always go to the desired URL by manually typing it into the address field.

19. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

As far as I know, any bank won't ask you for your information as they will already have it. No bank has a right to demand you give them information becuase the money in your bank account is YOUR money.

20. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Never ever respond to these types of emails. Generally, a legitimate company will not ask for online line verification of sensitive information. If you get such an email, phone them and ask whether it is legitimate (and obviously don’t use a phone number in the email, if one is provided).

This particular one sounds like an attempt at identity theft.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.