1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Upgrading AMD 939 Computer - Upgraded to 780G Mobo and AMD Phenom 8450

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Munchkin Blender, Jul 10, 2008.

1. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Seeing how I can get super discount on software I always try to spend less than $50. In fact I can get Vista Business 32bit for $24.95 plus $8.95 shipping.

The updates I have made to my computer is for the short term. Hopefully next year around tax season I will finish my upgrade (video card, new monitor, SATA HD, etc) or build a whole new system.

2. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

When I got home I checked the verison of XP I have and it is a OEM; that said it looks like my father in law will have my old Media Center XP on his update computer.

I just ordered Vista Business for my new setup. I am now thinking about ordering the 3450 for $40 to increase the performance of my GPU but part of me says not too as it would be a waste given that I can get a 3850 for $100 with shipping.

3. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    If you can spent it, go for the 3850. It is not a highend card, but you can game good whit it. it also is suited for digital video.

4. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

I was reading an article online about how to use the IGP with 3650 dedicated GPU; by overclocking the IGP speed it matched to 3650 and it improved the performance of the dedicated GPU by 5-10%. That would be more in line with what I'm looking for.

I hope the Vista through my school is the 64 bit verison as it would allow me to have full access to all of my RAM if I do upgrade the video card. If not, I believe Microsoft charges a small fee to upgrade Vista from 32 bit to a 64. I may go that route.

5. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

So dude, what are your thoughts on the triple-core Phenom so far?

6. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

For what I paid I can't complain, it has done a great job so far. Vista performance ranking ranks the CPU at 5.5. I don't know if that with my overclocking or just the stock setting.

I was able to run a stable overclock of the CPU with the stock fan up to 2.5GHz. When the CPU was running at this speed the CPU temperature went from 40C to 50+C. I prefer to keep the CPU tempature down as the North Bridge shipset tends to run a little hot.

If NewEgg still has there offer for $20off a AMD Phenom when buying a G Skill RAM I recommend buying the 8450 or any of the higher end Phenoms.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.