1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

United States of Earth

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Arctic Daishi, Mar 16, 2013.

?

Which countries do you think are the best candidates?

1. Albania & Former Yugoslav States

25.0%
  2. Australia & New Zealand

75.0%
  3. Belgium & Netherlands

25.0%
  4. Canada

50.0%
  5. Central America & Caribbean

50.0%
  6. Czech Republic & Slovakia

25.0%
  7. Finland, Iceland, Norway, Sweden

25.0%
  8. Ghana

25.0%
  9. Israel

50.0%
  10. Japan

25.0%
  11. Korea

50.0%
  12. Singapore

50.0%
  13. Switzerland

50.0%
  14. Taiwan

25.0%
  15. United Kingdom

25.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
  2. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

I think it's based on a internet poll conducted by some German newspaper if I read it correctly. I doubt any real polling exists.

3. Arctic Daishi Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Media:
    I never said she was my "enemy" or a "bad person." I didn't make any personal attacks at all in that post. I was only pointing out the hypocrisy in her "we need to ban free speech, guns, anti-government demonstrations, and opposition parties because they might do the same to us."

Comparing UKIP to the French National Front is utterly ridiculous. I think Daniel Hannan put it best when describing people like you: http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/d...or-the-unprogressive-undemocratic-elitist-eu/

Not only is it in the article, but I quoted it a few posts above yours.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
  4. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Do you mean an Internet poll where anyone could vote no matter where they lived? No matter what age, nationality, or residency?

5. Arctic Daishi Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Media:
    According to Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, internet polls are "the most reliable."

6. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Why don't we let Aldeth make that statement himself....

7. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    I'm sorry AD, but that post was ... ill-advised. Unfortunately this thread is no longer going to be about anything except you and your perceived bad behavior. That's just the way it goes, and the lesson to be learned is one of diplomacy. Most here were beginning to play nice, and then you turned it back around, quite unnecessarily. So whether you were right or wrong before, you're Officially Wrong now, and you've given everyone the ammo they need to pat themselves on the back and say you were wrong all along.

Always take the high road. You may feel that there were no direct insults made, but your tone said otherwise, very strongly. Best to always keep that in check.

Montresor likes this.
  8. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

Yes.

Well Aldeth does love his online polls, which makes him a very biased assessor of polling reliability. :p

EDIT:

Not true! Right now we're having a very frank and serious discussion about the expansionist ambitions of Switzerland and the secessionist majority of Baden Würtemberg who will leave the shackles of tyranny in Germany to join the free Swiss Confederation in the near future. ;)

Caradhras and Nakia like this.
  9. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    AD - I am sorry, but I need to disagree with you. In your post, you wrote to Nakia:

That right there is a personal attack. You need to stop it and the time to stop it is now, only because I can't make you stop it any earlier.

Seriously, knock off the personal attacks already.

10. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Don't the Swiss have armed guards at the Vatican? I think they've been in a long standing plot to take over the Catholic church and, by sheer numbers, ... take over the world [said in my best Brain voice]. Now granted, they've been plotting this for over 500 years now but that delay was obviously only to get the pope ... and then the next pope ... and the next ... and the next ... (this could go on for a while) ... to drop his guard. And the BAM ... when you least expect it THE SPANISH INQUISITION! NOBODY EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION! Especially not when talking about the Swiss! See! It might work!

:p

11. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    That would explain a lot... So a bunch of people want to protest against the EU on the internet and some newspaper tries to make a big deal about it presumably to sell more newspapers. That's the story. Then someone in America reads about the story and takes for granted the "fact" that Switzerland is a beacon of hope and justice for the downtrodden and unwashed European masses.

It's almost poetic. The only problem with this picture is that Switzerland has only been a haven for tax evaders and rich Europeans who wanted to go skiing in Gstaad.

Someone has to be pretty gullible to believe that the Swiss would take over Europe. :rolleyes:

Just to give you an idea, I'd like to point out that the French region I live in is roughly as big as Switzerland and almost as populated.

France is not a big country but it's still more than 16 times bigger than Switzerland. That's basic math. Can you possibly imagine that we would give away our land to a much smaller country?

That would go against the very idea of a sovereign nation.

Oh yes, we did allow the Swiss to expand Geneva International Airport on French territory and in exchange we have a special entrance that we can access without crossing any border. That's what neighbours do, they work together especially when they can both benefit from such arrangements.

As far as Switzerland and the EU are concerned I'd like to point out that despite the fact that Switzerland isn't a member there are more than 200 treaties binding the country with the EU especially when it comes to trade and the circulation of people from the EU. As a matter of fact Switzerland is part of the Schengen Area.

Sure despite being so chummy with the EU the Swiss are still using the Swiss franc but I can tell you for a fact that you can go to Switzerland and buy anything you want with euros. You'll get your change in Swiss francs and it goes without saying that they'll be making a profit on the exchange rate but still they really make it easy for people from the EU we have to give them that. ;)

We have moved on from the US taking over the world to Switzerland taking over Western Europe. :D

12. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    OOOh, a conspiracy theory. I love those but I thought Tal was going to take over the world. There is only one country between Slovakia and Switzerland if I am looking at the map correctly. The subject becomes much more complex and interesting than before. Hmm, me thinks there may be more to all this than at first perceived. ;)

edit: I have a question I have been dying to ask and now that we are on conspiracy theories I will. I heard a humour that Canada whose economy is better than ours, the USA, is buy up land here. Does anyone know if this is true? If so I have another conspiracy theory to offer. :evil:

13. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Well, at least the latter would be more palatable (or less unpalatable) for most earthlings.

14. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    At least with the Swiss we wouldn't have to drink Budweiser, shoot guns for fun and eat hamburgers. :p

Of course we could have some Jack Daniel's, visit some strip clubs and eat some Thanksgiving dinner instead. ;)

15. Nakia

Media:
    We actually have some very good hamburger places at least in New York City. You don't need to drink Bud we import beer from Germany and you are already nearby. We can also offer you Tex-Mex food. It comes in three mild (hardly worth calling Tex-Mex) medium, which i eat now, and hot, the real thing. We also have ice. :cool: Lots of ice. After extensive studies and much hashing about I have concluded that we have an ice culture here.

16. T2Bruno

Media:
    Wait ... I thought we had a gun culture ... I was wondering how all those ice cubes got holes in them.

17. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Bloody hell. And you put quotes around it, meaning you think that's a direct quote from me? Can you link me to that, because if I said that, it was a major typo on my part. What I think you are more likely refering to is the respect I hold for 538. Yes, 538 is only available online, and does poll analysis. But an online poll analysis is vastly different than an online poll. In fact, 538 doesn't conduct polls themselves.

The polls Nate Silver analyses are among the most respected polls in the nation. We're talking about things like Gallup, AP, and Rasmussen just to name a few. NO ONLINE POLLS ARE USED IN 538's ANALYSIS, simply because they are so unreliable. You have no way of knowing what area you are sampling, whether the perosn clicking the button is registered to vote, or even is of age to vote, or how many times an individual has voted on a poll. (Most of the time, just by refershing your browser or erasing your cookies you can vote in an online poll as many times as you want.)

So if you want to quote me on something, quote this:

ONLINE POLLS ARE AMONG THE LEAST RELIABLE.

Where are they from? As has been previouly noted, the average gun ownership rate in the US is around 40%, but there is a huge amount of geographic variance. The percentage is nearly double in Alaska, and only about a quarter of that in many metro areas. So if the 17 Americans you know are living in major cities, or other cosmopolitan areas, 2 of 17 doesn't seem odd at all.

While you love to accuse anyone who dares disagree with you as, essentially, un-American. Pot, meet kettle.

That ship sailed more than a decade ago with the passage of the Patriot Act. Who knew that George W. Bush, and the Republican controlled House and Senate who drafted and passed that law were a bunch of "leftists". (And yes, the Democrats supported it too, and it's still in effect and being used today, but the fact remains that if Bush or the Republican controlled Congress were against it (the Dems didn't win control of Congress until 2006), it never would have passed.)

T2Bruno likes this.
  18. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Hang on... didn't a certain member of the boards get accused of racism via PM? :rolleyes:

I am someone who supports British and English independence and self sufficiency. I will not support UKIP or the BNP, the former throughout their standing members have expressed racist, homophobic and ignorant rhetoric along with having poor policies reflecting their short sighted view for the UK. The latter are led by an openly racist man who has been recorded stating about other races being inferior! Do I think that is racist? Yes. Yes I do. They're now fighting to pull away from their racist image, along with the previous holocaust denial. They also oppose gay marriage and civil partnerships, they want to discourage inter-racial marriages, have discussed implementing a ban Muslims flying into and out of the country. Heavily against (some only recently won) freedoms.

A member of my family was forced to step down as a council member after she was responsible for the first twinning of towns with an Islamic nation. The BNP published her address inviting people to send hate mail to her for being a part of the process which allowed an Arab nation to be twinned with a UK town.

So yeah, they're not exactly subtle that way.

Barmy Army likes this.
  19. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I'd like some acknowledgement for the restraint I've shown in not jumping into this thread and womping some ass.

Not a lot. Just a little.

20. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Get involved DR. Hopefully weight of numbers might be enough for this guy to go 'actually, is it possible I might be wrong here?' Or is that too much to hope for?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.