1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Uni and You

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Deathmage, Jul 21, 2008.

?

Your (planned) Major in University

1. Commerce (Economics, Accounting, Marketing)

6 vote(s)
    13.3%
  2. Biology

3 vote(s)
    6.7%
  3. Physics

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  4. Mathematics

3 vote(s)
    6.7%
  5. Chemistry

2 vote(s)
    4.4%
  6. History (Classics)

2 vote(s)
    4.4%
  7. Languages (Any, or Linguistics)

5 vote(s)
    11.1%
  8. Teaching

2 vote(s)
    4.4%
  9. Fine Arts (Graphical Design, Arts - basically drawing)

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  10. Law

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Engineering

3 vote(s)
    6.7%
  12. Sociology (Anthropology, Cultural Studies, Political Science, Mass Communication)

6 vote(s)
    13.3%
  13. Psychology (Therapy)

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  14. Education

2 vote(s)
    4.4%
  15. Computer Science/IT

8 vote(s)
    17.8%
  16. Management

3 vote(s)
    6.7%
  17. Philosophy

3 vote(s)
    6.7%
  18. Other

8 vote(s)
    17.8%
  19. Didn't go

2 vote(s)
    4.4%
  20. Dropped out

3 vote(s)
    6.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Err... what? Does bachelor and master in Holland mean thte same thing as minor and major in the US?

If it doesn't, I imagine you'd need a whole lot of prerequisite coursework to complete from a bachelor's degree in Philosophy to start a Master's degree in CS.

2. Proteus_za

Proteus_za

I think a Bachelors generally refers to a 3 or 4 year undergraduate degree, while masters is the first component of postgraduate study, usually involving a research project.

In South Africa, we never had minors, only majors. You generally took 2-3 majors, which were 3rd year subjects.

He could do a Bachelors in philosophy and computer science, then masters in computer science.

3. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    I'm in the process of getting my Bachelor's Degree in Electronics Engineering...however, it's not from a formal university. Once I get it however, I might transfer over to the University of Utah to either get a second Bachelor's Degree in EE specializing in automation and robotics...or if I can overcome advanced calculus, I might get a Master's Degree in EE...but robotics sounds like it would be more fun. :borg: :rolling:

4. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    @Blackthorne TA
    I'm in the process of completing a Bachelor in "Technical Computer Science" (Technische Informatica). I didn't mention that because I'm not following mentioned course at a university, but at a college.

5. Alavin

Alavin If I wanted your view, I'd read your entrails Veteran

Dropped out of Computer Science after two years. Have since forgotten everything I learned. :D Good use of time and money there.

6. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    I majored in Computer Science, with minor subject in Physics.

A Danish "Candidate Degree" (major subject) corresponds to something between a Master's and a Ph.D (IMO a good Master's but a very poor Ph.D.). A minor subject is also called a Bachelor's Degree but I think it is a low-grade Bachelor.

7. Dinsdale Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

Media:
    Bachelor of Arts in English. I hope to go back and get my Masters someday but I'm not so sure that will ever happen.

8. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I'm doing an IT and multimedia double degree, majoring in software engineering and interactive entertainment (basically intended as a games-type major, but has a broad variety of relevant stuff in it).

Software engineering is made of fail, but interactive entertainment major is rather awesome. Well, except for the odd course that fails so hard that I end up failing it, but, well :hahaerr:

9. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    I quit theology and biology.

Probably going to study informatics a bit and a bit social psychology. Maybe. No rush though.

10. Boy at a busstop Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

To make it even more confusing, a dutch college (Hogeschool) is considered a "university of applied sciences" these days. I'm pretty sure I don't study science, but whatever.

It makes a bit of sense though, a dutch college is, as far as I know, a higher level of education than an american college.

We basically do one major at a time, which will become our bachelor degree after about 4 years. You can than do a postgraduate master, which takes 2 years. Uni works a bit differently, you get your bachelor after 3 years.

Besides the major we also have to do 2 minors, which are basically mix-ins of different majors or subjects.

I believe they are adapting this format throughout the whole of Europe, not sure though.

11. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

Yes, the nefarious Bologna process which last year had most senior students desperately trying to complete their studies before the new exam system became mandatory for all students. Does not affect me all that much though. We also have the system with universities and universities of applied sciences. Universities of applied sciences are generally more focused in training for various professions (nurses, engineers, social workers etc.) while universities teach more theoretical subjects which don't generally don't directly train you to any specific profession and are more theoretical in nature (economics, law, medicine, history, philosophy etc.).

12. Loreseeker

Loreseeker A believer in knowledge Veteran

Media:
    Same thing here... the Bologna thing has been in operation for two years now, however it's still in tuning, not quite the real Bologna,imho (old proffesors like their old ways, I guess).

On my faculty, mine is the last generation studying by the good old programme :).
    The dinosaurs, and proud of it :p.

The place certainly got a bit crowded now, since many of the subjects are now taught to two different years, and there is only one set of labs for those subjects... (twice more people to arrange lab time for, but same time amount)

13. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Well, I first majored in the third-last poll option, but a Bachelor of Other degree ended up being rather limited vis-a-vis employability, so I then went for accounting.

:p

14. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

Funny, here was I thinking you'd sooner major in the last option. :p

15. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Looks like I'm the only Historian here...sob, sob.

I thought we had a lot more lawyers, though - where's Beren and chevy, anyways?

16. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

[​IMG] Wah?! I'm the only physicist! Does that mean I'm ... special? :p :xx:

17. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    You mean special in the same way as "Special Olympics"? ;)

18. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

[​IMG] @BTA: Actually, considering my all-round athletic inability, I think even the "Special" Olympics would be beyond me! Unless Halo becomes an Olympic sport, that is.

19. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Math for me. I am now a software engineer.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.