1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Uni and You

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Deathmage, Jul 21, 2008.

?

Your (planned) Major in University

1. Commerce (Economics, Accounting, Marketing)

6 vote(s)
    13.3%
  2. Biology

3 vote(s)
    6.7%
  3. Physics

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  4. Mathematics

3 vote(s)
    6.7%
  5. Chemistry

2 vote(s)
    4.4%
  6. History (Classics)

2 vote(s)
    4.4%
  7. Languages (Any, or Linguistics)

5 vote(s)
    11.1%
  8. Teaching

2 vote(s)
    4.4%
  9. Fine Arts (Graphical Design, Arts - basically drawing)

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  10. Law

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Engineering

3 vote(s)
    6.7%
  12. Sociology (Anthropology, Cultural Studies, Political Science, Mass Communication)

6 vote(s)
    13.3%
  13. Psychology (Therapy)

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  14. Education

2 vote(s)
    4.4%
  15. Computer Science/IT

8 vote(s)
    17.8%
  16. Management

3 vote(s)
    6.7%
  17. Philosophy

3 vote(s)
    6.7%
  18. Other

8 vote(s)
    17.8%
  19. Didn't go

2 vote(s)
    4.4%
  20. Dropped out

3 vote(s)
    6.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Just kind of question on what everyone here majored in/plan to major in, and who dropped out, that kinda stuff. :)

Based the list off my Uni (University of Canterbury) course list. The stuff in brackets is not really indicative, it's just subjects that may fall under the catergory.

I am well aware that I may not have covered many courses out there - I'm sorry, but there's not enough spaces.

I'm going to be majoring in two or maybe even three of the following: History, English (Creative Writing), Classical Studies, Japanese. Yeah, I'm going to get real rich. :rolleyes:

2. Proteus_za

Proteus_za

I've got a BSc in Computer Science, and I'm strongly thinking about starting to study a BSc Economics via correspondence because I dont think I want to be a programmer for the rest of my life.

3. TrueBlueAussie Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Im currently doing a new and shiny course called corporate systems management. IT and management basically. We are looking to become the people who know enough of the tech lingo to communicate with the programmers and also know how to dumb it down for heads of department and higher authorities.
    Really good course so far (just over half way through) and should make me very rich should I pursue business analysis or open my own bisuness.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2008
  4. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Doing Management, overseas, in Australia.

5. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

Economics. Not much to say about that really. My leaning is slightly more in macroeconomy and analyzing montary and financial policy than microeconomy which I really don't like. I'm also taking courses in Political Sciences, Public Adminstration, Accounting, German and Russian. As one might guess my carere target would be somewhere within the civil service.

EDIT: I'm not sure which bracket to pick really, I'm not sure if the commerece really fits but then sociology is not quite right either. Still economics is as clean as economy goes so I guess commerece is close enough.

6. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Political Science. Already graduated with a good enough score. Still without a job. Well, without a real job.

7. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

No thanks, I'll stick to my PSDs.

8. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Computer Science/Other

Starting a Computer Games Development four year course in September of this year after a year of Computer Science at Bournemouth University.

Leftafter my course path was cancelled due to a retarded Dean and a series of unfortunate staff.

By the end of the year I was only attending when my friends asked if I wanted to meet up. Still haven't passed the first year because they've misplaced my very first Web Application Design coursework.

9. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Biology all the way! Did my undergraduate, then an MS, now a PhD... yeah it's turned into some kind of obsession.

10. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Just finished my International Business and Management Studies. Currently working as an account manager at a direct mail company.

11. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    I've got to choose whether to drop either Latin, Philosophy or Maths for next year. Chances are that I'll drop Latin and do a joint degree in Philosophy and Maths.

12. Loreseeker

Loreseeker A believer in knowledge Veteran

Media:
    (Organic) Chemistry. :)

Planing to push it all the way to a PhD, but we'll see how it goes.

I'm studying pharmacy, actually, but the good folks at the organic chemistry institute on my faculty let me hang out there with them most of the time.

P.S. Lucky are you who get to pick which courses (subjects) to take in a year. All of my ones are predetermined.

13. Vhailor

Vhailor Justice is not blind, for I am her eyes Veteran

I think about doing either psyc or sociology major maybe double. I am going into my 2nd year of college. I was thinking of taking up Philosophy but you can't make any money with it.

14. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Ditto for me.

I graduated with a degree in BS Applied Economics. Currently halfway through my gap year right now though, taking Spanish in Europe and traveling. Planning to try and find work in the U.S first quarter of next year.

15. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Geez, I thought there'd be a lot more lawyers. Where's our mod team?

Seems to be a large focus on Computer Science, which I guess is to be expected, really.

16. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Deathmage, why do you want to do those subjects?

17. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Because I'm interested in them. I know that I probably won't make any money out of them, but I'd probably regret it if I didn't do them. OTOH, if you ask me in four years I might regret that I didn't take something more economic, like, say, Economics, or Management, or something.

tbh, it's the stuff I'm good at. No good at Law, Science, Maths, Engineering, Marketing...what else can I do?

18. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    Bah!

19. Boy at a busstop Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

The coming year I will be graduating from my Uni of Applied Siences, as a Bachelor of Human Resource Management.

There wasn't really a suitable bracket for it, so I picked teaching, sociology, management and other. With HRM I can go in a lot of direction, I could research companies, advise mangement, regular HR work, become a trainer/teacher, a school dean etc.

20. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    I'm thinking about doing bachelor in philosophy and a master in computer science when I start uni in a year or two.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.