1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Under and Overwhelming ME3 Videos

Discussion in 'Mass Effect Series' started by Taluntain, Feb 11, 2011.

1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Ok, this is the official one:

Zzzzz...

Now check this fan-made one, which is a compilation of several ME3 videos and some VO from the earlier games:

BioWare should hire this guy. :shake:

Last edited: Sep 19, 2015
  2. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    I really do feel like I should love Mass Effect. I love Bioware games and lately i've been really digging Scifi (Thanks mainly to Firefly), but somehow I just can't quite get into it.

Maybe i'll give it ANOTHER chance.

3. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    You should. It is a nice game, with nice visuals. Very entertaining to play. I genuinely enjoyed it, repeatedly and at some considerable length.

I look forward to ME3. Unless there are some horror reports, I will pre-order, just like I pre-ordered ME2 (and wasn't disappointed).

4. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    I love Mass Effect. Can't wait for the next one

5. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Maybe I'm missing some kind of backstory from the first two games or previous trailers, but why are they putting all the hope of the entire planet on this one guy's shoulders? Is he so amazing that he'll singlehandedly will defeat the alien baddies (presumably with the help of an assortment of NPCs), is he bringing some amazing technology/magic item that will save the earth, or is he bringing back an entire fleet of some description with which to defeat these aliens?

I agree that the fan made trailer looks a lot better than the original, though it might make people think that they'd be able to play as the aliens invading the earth. Which would be awesome, too.

6. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    In a word: Yes.

That's why Shepard was brought back from the dead in ME2. Because Reapers crap in their pants in awe of so tough a hero.

7. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    That's... amazing.
    That's also my suspension of disbelief shot out of the nearest airlock, then blown to smithereens by a heat seeking missile.

Unless he did something really amazing in the first game to warrant this, like chew through an alien spaceship to get to the control centre without losing any of the shine from his sparkly white teeth, then use his giant cohones to pummel the alien boss into submission from 30 ft away and through an armored door, I hope there is something more of a justification.

I'm not quite sure, but wasn't ME2 also famed (like its predecessor) for having a good story? Because if the above is true, it may well be a very well written story, but I won't believe it was actually a good story.

I'm probably sounding overly negative here, so I would at least like to note that I don't think that any of this means that I think the game isn't going to be good. I mean, I always thought that Doom was a good game too.
    Plus I'm having a little fun with hyperbole here ;)

8. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    he's got a way of making things happen, he rally's others around despite the imminance of their deaths and they as a team can pull off the impossible.

in the words of Miranda "Shepherd's an icon"

9. henkie

Media:
    Still don't really see how that would explain his presence being the one factor that would repel this alien invasion, as clearly everything humanity had in terms of defensive firepower was not nearly enough to do the same. And that defensive firepower now presumably reduced to any number of smoking craters, he can rally his team and remaining pockets of humans all he wants, sticks and stones are not going to bring down the alien spaceships and tanks and such.

I'm probably thinking too much about it, though. It's just that the presentation in the trailer is putting a bit too much emphasis on the fact that apparently only the PC can safe the earth, which just triggers all sorts of sceptism in me.

In the original Doom the Doom Guy also singlehandedly defeats the hordes from hell and this doesn't even bother me that much. Except that in Doom the story is practically non-existant, and at least they don't say in the very beginning that you're Earth's one and only hope (well, maybe a little bit in Doom 2).

10. Shoshino

Media:
    its not all about firepower, in the first game, his team thwarted the reaper invasion by preventing Sovereign from opening the gate for his buddies and thus the reaper is overwhelmed by the combined fleet. in the second his team learns and aquires the ability to fly their ship where no other ship has gone before, the defenses there were pretty weak as this is impossible, they then board the collector base, and take out a new reaper before it is completed, it is suggested that they aquired information about the reapers while there.

The trailer gives me the idea that they are waiting on shepherd because he's got something which is needed to defeat the reapers.

11. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Reapers are aliens but unlike most aliens we think of they are larger massive space ships that are highly technical. The reason why Sheppard is needed is his leadership ability and what he has done the last few years. If you played the cards rights in ME1 and ME2, Sheppard would have the respect of other alien races, and could form a fleet to help defend earth from an invasion of the Reapers.

As other have stated, his ability to lead is why he is feared. Not only that; he has brought down, not one but three Reapers now. The undeveloped Reaper at the end of ME2, the old Reaper that was caught in a sun burst in ME2, and Soverign from ME1. Sheppard ability to survive those battle, keep his companions alive and build relationships with other races will impact ME3 and who support his cause to save the Earth.

One last thing to note; if Sheppard fails at saving Earth from the Reapers, the rest of civilization will fall shortly after from the Reapers.

12. henkie

Media:
    I have since watched a Let's Play of Mass Effect, and it still seems a rather weak justification for why Shepard would be the final hope of Earth.

It takes an entire fleet to bring down the reaper in the first game and still they might've failed if the AI of the ship hadn't for some reason decided to make itself vulnerable by inhabiting the corpse of the big bad boss. (Why did he felt the need to do that? Couldn't it have controlled the corpse by remote instead of apparently transferring itself to the space zombie?)
    With just Munchkin's description of the events in ME2 to go by, I deduce that it was, in order, luck and the equivalent of killing a baby in the cradle. So that doesn't really prove to me that the current civilizations are in any shape to defeat a fully functional reaper. Assuming there's only one of course. (And why are these reapers coming out in ones and twos only if so?)

Also, why are the reapers dropping ground forces on Earth? If they're out to destroy all technologically advanced life in the galaxy, why aren't they doing an orbital bombardment? That seems a much more efficient way to wipe everything out.

Anyway, for all my bashing at ME's story, I wouldn't necessarily hold it against the game. After all, I do the same for most movies, and it's not like they don't have lots of plotholes too. And they can still be perfectly enjoyable in spite of this.

13. Shoshino

Media:
    Sovereign didnt inhabit Saren, the ship controlled anyone who spent too much time aboard it throught a process called indoctrination. The fleet took heavy casualties but ultimately one ship verses the combined fleets of the citadel and the alliance wasnt going to win, that is why Sovereign needed to open the mass relay to dark space so that the other reapers could come through.

it was luck, but lets face it a team of 10 people aren't the equivilent of the fleets of civilised space. The human reaper was killed as an unfinished entity, and the second reaper was derelict when shepherd boarded it.

the game seems to suggest that the reapers always travel alone until once every 50.000 years they perform a mass invasion of civilised space. even in mass effect 2 you dont see Harbinger, he is operating through the collectors, I would suggest that it takes a long time to travel from the reapers native dark space to the terminus systems.

they arent actually out to destroy all life, the protheans for example were genetically converted into the collectors, after ME1 the humans have become the new target for genetic modification, thats why they were coisen to make the new reaper, even in its incomplete infantile state the human reaper had been infused with the genetic material of hundreds of thousands of humans, how many more would be required to complete it? They dont want to destroy all of the humans on earth.

14. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I played the first game twice. That has only happened with BG2, duke nukem 3d Kotor/1/2 dungeon keeper and NWN(sou/hotu).

I was not able to finis the second. I am about half way in, But I just cannot.

15. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    ME & ME2 are awesome. I love all the lore they've put into it, and have spent hours reading through/listening to the codex. They really didn't have to do that, as most players probably don't even use it, 'it's boring' blah blah. It just really fills the game out and gives it a sense of scale and an epic feel.

16. henkie

Media:
    It's an old post, but I wanted to reply to it anyway, because I don't think that's how it's portrayed in the game. Once Saren is killed, he becomes a space-zombie that introduces itself as "I am Sovereign! And this station is MINE!"

This could still be considered as Sovereign just remotely controlling the space-zombie, were it not for the fact that once you defeat it, Sovereign immediately seems to lose control, drifts away and loses shields. That is why I say it inhibited Saren, otherwise this would make no sense at all. I suppose one could say that Sovereign had sustained too many hits to continue fighting, but there is a huge implication that Saren-space-zombie's demise caused this.

17. Shoshino

Media:
    From the cut scene, it looks more to me like one of 2 things;

1: Sovereign has suffered severe damage, and attempts to withdraw? / Sovereign knows that its/his plan has failed as Saren is dead and the Citadel is open allowing the enemy fleet to attack it/him at will and attempts to withdraw.

2: Sovereign is attempting to move into a better tactical position, knowing that being attached to the mass relay makes it/him? a very easy stationary target - the fight isnt going to plan, Saren has failed and the citadel is open allowing the enemy fleets freedom to attack Sovereign at will.

18. omnigodly Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Veteran

Play them and try the demo for the third game. You'll understand everything. No reason for everyone to try and explain it to you, since any one explanation doesn't cover the well over 100 hours of story that was told in the first two games.

Regardless of anything else, wasn't this thread about trailers?

I like biowares version, the second video started out pretty solid, but in the end it was just random images that didn't completely follow the narration by Sovereign. The narration should've been cut short and replaced by dialogue from Anderson about humanities last hope in the final moments too I think. The games are all about persistence and hope.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.