1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Undead Template and Age Modifiers

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by Ilmater's Suffering, Apr 4, 2006.

1. Ilmater's Suffering Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

When a humanoid or other creature which suffers from aging and is already middle aged or greater becames a member of the undead, does the undead character just stop aging, or does he stop aging and loose his age modifiers?

Thanks in advance.

2. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

He would just stop aging.

3. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

What kuemper said. The age modifiers are to represent getting wiser (and slower) in your old age. When you become undead your wisdom doesn't suddenly decrease.

4. Ilmater's Suffering Gems: 21/31

I just found it a little odd that a member of the undead would take the str and dex modifiers of old age. It just seems like the undeath "vigor" would sort of do away with that part.

Why would a venerable Liche suffer from a -6 str modifier and a -6 dex modifier when he no longer has any muscles?

5. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Undead don't age. Period. Whatever their stats are when they become undead become the basis for the template. Example of an old bard who got nipped by a vamp:

Human Bard
    Initial stats:
    Str 12 (-1 for age becomes 11)
    Dex 16 (-1 for age becomes 15)
    Con 12 (-1 for age becomes 11)
    Int 16 (+1 for age becomes 17)
    Wis 10 (+1 for age becomes 11)
    Cha 14 (+1 for age becomes 15)

Now, he gets bitten by a vampire and takes the vampire spawn template. Stats now are:
    Str 11 (+2 for vamp spawn; is now 13)
    Dex 15 (same)
    Con 11 (has no Con score)
    Int 17 (same)
    Wis 11 (same)
    Cha 15 (+2 for vamp spawn; is now 17)

All this comes from the PHB and Libris Mortis. :book:

6. Ilmater's Suffering Gems: 21/31

Libris Mortis you say, I might have to look into that. My DMHB, PHB, MM and Slayer's Guide to the Undead did not seem to tell me how to deal with an aged character turning into a member of the undead. The no ability drain had me kind of wondering if certain aspects of aging could even apply. Well at least I can alway use Wish to offset venerable.

7. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Well, I don't think age would be a problem physically... and most psychological changes related to abilities seem to be motivated by physical changes (except perhaps the wis and int increase)... For the sake of simplicity, I would suppose it's best to just stop characters from aging any further, although it is possible that they could be set to the initial age category.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.