1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

UK to ban Swords

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Dalveen, Mar 2, 2007.

1. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

Considering that the Finnish army is most of the male population of the country I seriously doubt the military could manage a coup unless the men went out to overthrow the tyranny of women. :lol:

Yes and I'd rather not have it nor need it, which I think is exactly where I am right now. ;)

2. Shadow Assassin Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Well we'd never agree on any of this. I'm a military minded USMC veteran and you're much more pascifistic.

3. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

I would not call myself very pascifistic. Of course if there's a simple choice between war and peace I'll naturally choose peace but these things never come so easily. I'm ready to defend my country against outside invaders (If I weren't I would not have gone to the military) and to be quite frank they are the only ones I see as a threat to my personal freedom. As long as democracy works the threat is nonexistent, and unless there's an outside force providing the army the government will have tough time going totalitarian. ;)

As far as personal protection goes, I'm more likely to be run over by a drunk driver than be killed by some psycho breaking in to my house. So really I figure unless you live in a hostile enviorment owning a gun for protection is paranoid to say the least. However I do think it's your right to own one, if a gun under your pillow helps you sleep better then it's fine with me.

4. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    As Benjamin Franklin said, Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

Which is why politicians and other power-holders don't like their lambs being able to contest the "will of the majority".

Remember that America won its liberty from the best democracy in Europe at that time. It's just that the English thought they could vote themselves to America's money without America needing to have a say in the affair.

5. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I've lived in America btw, in LA, so, trust me, I "truly know". I dispise you people coming here with that "ohh, nanny state Britain, soon they won't be able to breathe" type attitude, and I can't believe your audacity, just look at gun crime in your own country. Allowing citzens to carry guns simply doesn't work, if it did, I'd be all for it, but it doesn't. Your crime facts and figures prove that. Gun crime here in the UK is almost non-exsistent in comparison. Allowing people to own these stupid samurai swords is even more ridiculous, and I am all in favour of any legistation which helps to deter people from buying them.

Now, before you get all defensive and start ranting and raving, I don't have much of anything bad to say about you or your country, I am just a little more than surprised at some of your attitudes in this thread.

6. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

This reminds me of a passage from Terry Pratchett's Nightwatch. I can't quote it from memory, but I believe it refers to the banning of weapons by the city ruler to curb crime. This resulted in the happy development of the citizens being unable to defend themselves while the criminals couldn't believe their luck!! And of course, being a criminal means you DONT follow the law...

Or something like that. I'd like to know what the good folks up in Parliament were smoking when they came up with this...

Edit: After reading Sarevok's post, I'd just like to add that I am not against the banning of swords as a representation of curbing citizens' rights in the UK. I'm just against devoting time and money to enforce such dumb laws when there's so many other more worthwhile causes they could focus on.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.