1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

UK to ban Swords

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Dalveen, Mar 2, 2007.

1. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I feel for my UK friends. Your nation is slowly turning into the ultimate nanny state. Pretty soon you won't be able to do anything without permission. It almost makes me wonder if someone saw "V for Vendetta" and thought "This is the way things should be".

It is truly sad.

2. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Snook, perhaps they saw the V and realized how dangerous blades are if they are wielded by genetically enchanted anarchistic lunatics :D

3. Warrior of the World

Warrior of the World Questing through space

Why?

4. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

Surely this is Scotland only?

5. The Magister Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Ban swords? Who the hell came up with that?

A sword is a long sharp blade, and so are some knives. Why not ban all sharp objects? I'm sure that will solve the problem of those dangerous knight muggers.

Note: This post is dripping with sarcasm :p

6. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

*chuckles* Knight muggers.

Seems odd too since the sword is pretty much a symbol of the UK - as in the standard crusader 'cross' design. I'd dare call them cultural icons.

If in New Zealand we tried to ban traditional Maori weapons (usually greenstone axes sharpened beyond belief and "bloody strong" wooden spears) there'd be a great cultural uproar. Despite the fact that they're very dangerous weapons.

7. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    Wait, didn't their murder-by-guns rate triple when they banned fire-arms? Maybe they're trying to look good by lowering their gun-murder statistic at the cost of their sword-murder statistic. You brits are all nuts, you know that. :p

8. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Actually, afaik murder rates fell. Gun crimes increased, but if possession without registration is a crime :) ...

9. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31

The mainland UK police got tougher on gun crime, so thats why there had been more arrests, so the ban was successful. The story is twisted by gun lovin' conservatives in the US.

Some cities in the US have more gun related deaths than the combined populations of N and S Ireland, and we have terrorists FFS.

10. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

Even a blunted piece of steel hurts when you get hit with it. And when swung for the puirpose of hurting someone, it's really going to hurt. I say don't ban the weapon, come down harder on the criminals that use them. You commit any kind of crime with a weapon, make the sentence a hell of a lot longer. It at least cuts down the repeat offenders...

11. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Found at http://nyhederne.tv2.dk/article.php/id-6320567.html

See? Sword crime is rampant, we simply need anti-sword legislation. :rolleyes:

12. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    So museum carrying olde mediaeval weapon will be illegal? :lol:

What a waste of time! ANY object can be a weapon IMO. If I took one of my dad's club golf and swing it in your hear it will cause serious damage, so should they ban golf club? The same applies to baseball bat, Hockey stick, fencing épée, polo stick, cricket's bat etc. etc. This is just stupid.

13. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Screw the collectors, and outside of fencing, there is no need for anybody to own a sword in the UK. Of course, I doubt very much if any new legistation will affect avid collectors, or fencers.

With the state of crime in America, I'm surprised they dare even utter a word here. I mean, there are other places I'd rather be in the world, but I know that I'm a ****load safer over here than I would be in America, that's a fact...

14. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

In fact, if someone does some research, you'll find that it's not ALL swords. Only cheap katana knock offs.

We're all quite safe

Perhaps the hysteria can end now, and I can go back to LARPing, and hitting people with a sword?

15. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31

I don't know why people are obsessed with tacky imitation and movie swords.

I agree with Sarevok. Some cities in the US with just under 2 million have more gun crime than the whole of Ireland during the bad old days of terrorism in the 1980's. The average person doesn't need a gun or sword for 'protection'. Frankly I cannot respect a person that is scared to leave their house without carrying a handgun.

16. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    Let me just say, America isn't as dangerous as many people portray it. New York, maybe. Chicago, probably. LA... Only crazy people live in LA. And there are SO many reasons for me to say that.

Here in Virginia Beach, though, a major city, and part of the Hampton Roads metropolis, crime isn't so major. Sure, we get shootings and stabbings and robbery and the like, but not often. Honestly, I'm more worried about internet scams than gun crime in my area, and I don't live in one of the best neighborhoods.

17. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Hey. I'm not crazy. :)

18. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Yes you are. ;)

19. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Well, I live in an Adult Community on New Jersey's South Central Shore. By no means a metropolitan area and we have to worry about crime here. Er, maybe it is because an Adult Community. Criminals like to pick on the elderly. Gads, do I hate that word...I am not elderly just vintage mature.

20. The Shaman Gems: 28/31

A well-developed individual :p . Still, I wonder what kind of a person would rob a full-grown adult with a sword. I can understand it among fanboy/girls, but stopping a, say, retiree at sword point is more than a bit absurd.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.