1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

UK Teen Banned from US for Life

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by NOG (No Other Gods), Sep 14, 2010.

1. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Don't class us all as 'you guys' please dear. It was ONE guy who was attempting (very poorly) to wind you up. However, you are BOTH being childish.
    Barmy, calling somebody silly because they have a larger vocabulary than you is really dumb.
    Chandos, yous attitude of 'My President is bigger than yours' is also ridiculous

The pair of you should pack it in and grow up!

2. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    I'm messing about you big wally. Don't take yourself so seriously!

3. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    You talking to me or CHandos? Because either way you were going too far and behaving like a tit

4. Barmy Army

Media:
    Wow, someone has had an argument with the other half or a bad day! I was winding the guy up, as he was obviously a stiff. I think you need to calm down and stop throwing abuse around. Crikey girl, go and get yourself a glass of wine!

5. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    Silvery's discipline is getting me excited.:smash: ;)

6. Barmy Army

Media:
    Ooooh, suit you sir! (one for the Fast Show fans there)

7. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

In England they just arrested 5 guys because those fellows looked like they were going to do some harm to the Pope. That's security working the way it should. In cases where there's even the whiff of danger, it is better to ere on the side of caution.

That's why there is, AFAIK, a zero tolerance policy on jokes or comments about bombs and hijackers in airports. Sure, the guy is probably blowing hot air -- 999/1000 times that's all the guy is doing. But do you want to be the person who let the 1 / 1000 through to kill hundreds of people? Not likely.

This stupid teenage twit lipped off. The Americans decided to make an example of him. I wonder what would happen if this kid had sent such a letter to the Russian Premier. I would bet my left nut that they would do an investigation, and then say . . . nothing. But 40 years down the road if the guy tried to enter Russia, he'd have his name on the no-fly list, and be mystified. When it comes to uttering threats, be warned that not everyone is going to share your sense of humor.

Which reminds me of an issue -- the names escaped me but one BOM member threatened another. Tal, being someone who shares my attitude about this sort of thing, took immediate steps (perhaps he can weigh in on this with more data). The odds of the threatener actually being able to carry out the threat were negligible, but a point had to be made and a clear message sent about that sort of stuff. Exactly the same situation here. Message sent, smart mouth teen faces consequence for douchebag behaviour. I wish we saw that sort of thing more often.

8. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    is it feeling a little tight for you sir?

I dont think an example has been made, because that would imply that some kind of punishment has been dealt out, not being able to go to the US is not what I would consider punishment, more of a good excuse for the future:

"daddy can we go to disney world??"
    "no son, Im banned from America"

Last edited: Sep 17, 2010
  9. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    I didn't mean [or think] to include you in that comment.

I certainly didn't mean go imply that. I apologize if it sounded that way.

Not yet. Mrs. Chandos is at work today. :grin:

You know I love ya, Barmy, but "my president it still bigger than yours." :p

10. Barmy Army

Media:
    Haha, class. I was actually talking about Gayer (is that the right pronunciation? :D) but is was worth the misunderstanding for that response. :cool:

11. Silvery

Media:
    That's better, everyone is playing nice :D

(still think you're a tit though Barms :lol:)

12. Barmy Army

Media:
    Cheers flower, I love you too.

13. Silvery

Media:
    Too right, I'm effin' fabulous :lol:

Back to the point: Investigate = good, ban the kid = mental

14. Déise

Déise Both happy and miserable, without the happy part!

How many bombings do you think have actually been stopped by asking airport travellers "do you have a bomb in your luggage?" Actual terrorists aren't so nice as to let you know. American authorities don't have a different sense of humour, they have no sense of humour.

15. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
  16. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

deise, I'm talking about people who make jokes at the runway, not the questions asked during checkin. Some people have a weird sense of humor, true, but vigilence is necessary and when you are dealing with the lives of hundreds of people (and, sorry to be mercenary, equipment costing millions of dollars) then you simply have to look into every comment and take what some might consider draconic measures, even if it's only for optics.

Paris Hilton is disgusting. I'd bet that the Japanese have been looking for an excuse to ban her plastic hiney from the country for a long time. She shoulda thought of the consequences before she made her decisions. This is a relatively minor consequence, to be sure. As I said before, I wish there were more consequences levied for lousy choices, especially from those who are in the limelight.

17. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    George Carlin is laughing in his grave

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.