1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

U.S. Fingerprinting of all visitors - NEWS

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Death Rabbit, Jan 5, 2004.

1. Mithrantir Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I have read about this and furthermore i have read that Greece is the only one country from the EU that will not be excluded from this process. I had been planning to visit USA someday in the not so distant future but now after this insult of human rights and personal rights, i think i don't want to even for a reward.
    I wonder how all the US citizens here who defend their country so blindly and justify any choice their goverment makes, would feel if another country started treating US tourists like this. Showing them with actions that they are unwanted. I bet that you could spent years flaming that unfortunate goverment.
    I can't understand though what makes the USA administration thinks that they are entitled to do whatever they imagine in order to avoid something that cannot be avoided. Do you honestly believe that you can really stop a terrorist plan? Only by accident this happens or treason.
    Osama Bin Laden is publicing every now and then a small video or audio message and then watches you getting panicked and i bet he has laughed a lot. He enjoys seeing USA in panic and the US administration provides him with many reasons to stay happy.
    And a last thought why don't USA closes down the borders entirelly shutting off the evils of this world and protecting the US citizens, in a golden prison? No way in, no way out. Think of it, it looks like a perfect solution to avoid anything foreign therefore evil

2. Laches Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I kind of think people may be over reacting. I listened to NPR the day this program came out:

http://www.npr.org/features/feature.php?wfId=1583356

I'd recommend the NPR link.

Also, I'd point out that this is adding biometric requirement to enter the nation. The exempted nations are required to have biometric id by 10/26/04. US citizens are also going to be required to have biometric id though I'm not certain of the date. I don't think this has been pointed out.

Joacqin mentioned that he'd guess that most citizens come from the exempt nations. That's true. It is apparently intentional. They want to start smaller to test the program. Then expand to land crossings. Then expand biometrics to all nations.

I have mixed emotions on the subject but I think some people may be over stating the horridness of it all.

And I have to ask in a somewhat unrelated manner:

Manus, you have said there is no such thing as evil. If something isn't wrong/evil/bad (because there is no such thing) then how is it immoral?

3. Manus Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Right and wrong, morals priciples and ideals, are different to good and evil.

Ok, that doesn't make much sense, let me explain...

Theologically, the idea of evil, as a presence seperate and distinct from that which is good, or a thing or people or god-like being existing on it's own, or a series of events that can lead to misfortune, to me do not exist.

Good and evil, two sides of the same thing. Good is what exists, the essense of the absolute diffused, evil it's absense, therefore non-existence; Satan, the Devil, misinterpretations. Lux, the bright lord of the morning, the first son of the manvantaric dawn? He isn't evil. Other things, non-human, supercede (or subcede) our own definitions, yet actions can be classified the same as ours, which I shall return to shortly.

Oh, evil is sometiumes spoken of when reffering to matter as well, but this is a pun of sorts- that is, matter an illusion between us and the true reality, and of the form seperated from the spirit, matter-spirit being the beggining of differentiation of the absolute- but here it is talking about the absence of spirit, the absence of the 'true' existence, not anything substantial on its own.

What I say is ultimately, you cannot do evil, Every action, even those actions which in the short term bring pain or discomfort, ultimately serve good from the eventual changes propogated by their existence.

BUT.... This doesn't mean that we should not observe our actions, that we should not live by our morals. The point is (theologically) that we are supposed to be learning from every life, an eventual purification and evolutionary process. Wrong, immoral, 'evil' deeds even, are what works against this, going in the opposite direction (temporarily at least). So not Evil, but still evil, or in other words selfish; unprincipled; immoral; wrong; as concerns us in our own existance, and frankly, as I am sure you will agree, this is all that truly concerns us. Here and Now. The fact is, I don't like the term evil, as it insinuates a malicious or malevolent force, something stronger than humanity. From my point of view, those who do 'evil' simply do not truly know any better, or else they would not be able to act in such a way. This does not mean that they shouldn't know better, everyone would if they chose to follow that path, morals are something almost forced upon you by it. We are all responcible for our own actions, but again, this does not mean that we are evil.

Hope I've cleared that up, I know that I can be confusing sometimes. It can be hard to believe both the yes and no to almost every question simultaneously. ;)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.