1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

U.S. Credit Downgrade - Who is to blame?

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by The Great Snook, Aug 8, 2011.

1. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    The SS change is forward looking - for all those baby boomers who are going to be retiring in droves starting a few years from now. You're right that SS isn't a big problem now, but it will be five years from now. As the current economic problems show us, waiting until the problem has arrived is not the best time to deal with it.

I agree with you on some professions being able to continue working longer than others. However, even in the current system, the amount you get is based on how old you are when you start collecting benefits. With SS, you can start collecting as early as 62 - but you get considerably less than if you wait until you are older. It caps at age 70, and AFAIK, they don't take what you're profession is into account.

It is true that it would keep workers in the workforce for a few more years, which may mean it would be harder for younger people entering the workforce to find work - but it a way, that's exactly the point of it. By making people work for a few more years it makes them be on SS for a few years less. All told, I think it would be a temporary problem. The baby boomers are going to start to retire in droves in the next decade, and that's going to happen whether the retirement age is 65 or 70. There will be demand for workers to fill those positions one way or the other.

SS really wasn't reformed in the 80s. They fiddled with how much you had to pay into the system, and the percentages you got back, but the basic structure with the age 62 minimum and age 70 maximum was in place prior to any of the reform done then. And you also always got more per year if you waited longer to start receiving benefits. That's why I think that making people wait until they are 70 isn't a huge deal on the workforce. The government is already incentivizing you work until you're 70 by giving you more if you wait.

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I think I've mentioned this in some other thread in the past, but I always find these kind of statements hilarious. To me they boil down to this: "We need more taxes! (As long as it's not me paying them)". :)

T2Bruno likes this.
  3. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    We don't have a revenue problem we have a spending problem. I've been hearing about a guy on CNBC who has been saying something like this (I haven't actually heard it yet, so I'm paraphrasing what others are saying about it).

"If my wife goes out and starts spending 30% more than she did last year, it isn't my responsibility to go out and get a part time job. It is her responsibility to stop spending more than I make".

---------- Added 0 hours, 1 minutes and 45 seconds later... ----------

Didn't someone once say that the downfall of Democracy will be when people realize they can vote for what they want and force others to pay for it?

4. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    All this is just avoidance. So is all this talk about who should pay and who should not. The rich benefit greatly from government spending and they should pay their share. When they have a great portion of the wealth of the nation and only pay 15 percent in taxes, then something is very wrong. Really, it's not rocket science.

For all those war mongers who love our huge military and overseas operations, let's start cutting spending right there. How about it? Let's end the war on drugs and all the other bull, including immigration enforcement, that costs tax payers so much that they can't afford to educate their children.

Ok, let the excuses start rolling in now. :)

5. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    It wasn't the fact that we failed to do "enough" that caused our downgrade -- if that were really the case, the S&P would have been swayed (or at least shamed into backing down) after it was pointed out that they made a $2 trillion error in their accounting. After all is said and done, we were downgraded because we seriously considered defaulting on US debt. Was it the democrats or mainstream republicans seriously entertaining default as an option? No. It was the Tea Party, which is why they are to blame for the downgrade.

6. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

It's an often-said phrase (I think politicians on the right love it) but I'd say it's partially wrong, not to mention misleading. Normally, spending and revenue "problems" are two sides of the same coin - you don't earn enough to pay for your expenses. You can either earn more (which a state does by taxation) or spend less. It becomes an issue of which is more beneficial, or rather, less harmful.

Do note, however, that normally revenue increases slightly as the economy and the population (thus taxable base) both grow. Yet in the last several years, this was very much not the case: in the 2008 US budget, revenue was estimated at 2.7 Trillion USD. Three years later, in the 2011 one, it wass estimated at 2.17 Trillion USD - a fall of some 25%. That is a problem, and a big one. In fact, that's about the same ratio by which spending has grown - from around 3 Trillion to 3.7 Trillion USD. A lot of the change in both can be explained with the 2008 economic downturn - but to say that neither is a problem is almost laughable. Just what kind of business, or family, or anything would consider a 25% decrease of earnings "not a problem?"

By the way, the revenue is also falling with respect to the GDP. At present the revenues as percentage of the GDP are at just under 15% - a rate notably lower than anything since the 1970s.

It's a bit worrying, when you look at, say, the CBO table. Budget revenues more than doubled in the 70s and almost doubled in the 80s and 90s. The last 10 years certainly have been quite the outlier.

7. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Well, here's the thing. If you're going to increase the amount of money collected in taxes, it makes sense to increase taxes on people who, you know, actually have money.

Blades of Vanatar likes this.
  8. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    And while our politicians continue to place their heads in their asses playing the blame game, it appears that a further downgrade may be on the horizon:

link

9. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    The article I linked above references exactly that point, and it's as much a function of how the S&P does it's ratings. The short version is this when it comes to their ratings - past performance does influence future results. Once you get downgraded the next chance is far more likely to send you lower rather than higher. The reverse is also true - when you get upgraded, the next change is far more likely to send you higher than lower.

10. Chandos the Red

Media:
    How can they "create jobs" if they have to pay taxes? :rolleyes:

11. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Hehe. It always makes sense when it's not you. Everybody wants somethng for nothing.

Harbourboy likes this.
  12. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Interesting article:

http://www.startribune.com/opinion/otherviews/126863123.html

I have no idea who the "Tax Foundation" is so really can't verify the accuracy of their claims. By the way, the "15% in taxes" is only for capital gains. Income tax is quite high at the top of the food chain.

I also found this interesting ... although I don't know who the National Taxpayers Union is or really how "unbiased" they are.

http://www.ntu.org/tax-basics/who-pays-income-taxes.html

But the page does show that the top 1% of the wage earners payed 38% of the overall tax income for 2008 -- which is pretty much on par with what I remember reading before.

13. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Around here I think the really big earners pay up to 70-80% in tax. It still leaves them very comfortable. If you have three cows and give away one you only have two cows left to feed your family, if you have 3000 cows and give away 2000 you still have a thousand cows left, that is a whole lot more than two even if you gave away both a larger number and a larger share.

Oh and Snook, what if the wife spends the money on diapers, food and medicine for your sick child? Isn't it about time you get an extra job then?

14. Chandos the Red

Media:
  15. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Of course they do. Who wouldn't take something for nothing if that were a choice? I sure would.

EDIT
    Oh, and in case anyone is taking what I've said here as derisive or mocking: Not at all. I find it amusing not because I find the position ludicrous, but because I find that aspect of human nature amusing.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
  16. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I love Satirewire.com

Link

17. Chandos the Red

Media:
    I could not help but think of BTA's comment when I read this:

http://www.salon.com/news/politics/war_room/2011/08/09/scarborough_column/index.html

18. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Ironically, the greater the income disparity is, the better it is for the government revenue stream because each dollar given to that CEO is taxed at a higher average rate than if it were given to the minimum wage earning janitor.

I don't understand why this would be counterintuitive. Is the implication that only CEOs get bonuses and they are independent of company performance? I can tell you that's not the way it is at the company I work for; I get various bonuses based on my performance and everyone gets a bonus based on overall performance on company goals. Oh, and I'm not a CEO or any other kind of O. :)

19. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Not necessarily.

20. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    It's true for regular income which is what salaries and bonuses are. It is also true that other kinds of income are taxed at lower rates like capital gains. One can argue that capital gains should be taxed at a higher rate, but I wouldn't agree.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.