1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Turkey and EU

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by BOC, Dec 16, 2004.

1. BOC

BOC Let the wild run free Veteran

Tommorow the leaders of the nations of the EU will decide if they set a date for accession talks with Turkey in order to become a member of EU in 15 years. There is a lot of skepticism among the european goverments and citizens about this. The majority of the citizens and many governments seem to be negative to the idea of a full turkish membership. They base their negative opinion on many reasons like that Turkey is not a european country, that there are many cultural differences, that the economic cost will be to high, that the balances in EU will change etc. So what do you think? Should Turkey become a member of EU or not?

2. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

I think they should be granted a fair chance despite the fact that I'm highly skeptical of muslims (a.k.a "Blow-me-up-dolls") and Turkey isn't exactly that developed country. Of course, every european always thinks that HIS country is the most developed one, so that really isn't a reason to say 'no.' Before voting, I would ask how they would guard their borders against illegal immigrants that come from the poor countries? How they are going to deal with the religiously zealous people? Human rights? Economy?

If those all were okay, why not? Expanding the union will mean that there will be more trade and perhaps in the future one more country to participate to the coming EU-forces (there will be one, that's for sure). So to answer your question: if Turkey meets those demands, I would vote yes.

3. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I dont support a set date but a continuance of the talks and perhaps a gradual entrance into the various agreement would be an idea. I am all for a bigger, stronger and more tightly knit EU. Borders and nationalities are so yesterday.

4. Darkthrone Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

"Bob, are we going to get married or not?"
    "Yeah, well, of course we are, baby! I don't support a set date but a continuance of the talks and perhaps a gradual entrance into the various agreement would be an idea."

:D :D :D

I say: let them in, make a commitment. Offer them something so they have any reason do follow the wise path of Finland Wirhe proposed. ;)

5. Dendri Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Absolutely not.
    And why would we want for them to join us?!
    So, some of them have that urge. The USA wants them a part of the EU, too.

Not much of an argument there. Nor is this an opportunity to care for the wishes of others, rather to have our own interests and future in mind.

There are many reasons to deny them membership. Too many. BOC listed them.

One I would like to add.
    They blackmail us.
    "Deny us and there could be outrage and unrest among the Turks in your countries" "Deny us and 'democratic' developements in Turkey may be in danger" The nerve! :)
    For these rhetorics alone we should kiss them goodbye for they show clearly what fakes they are. They lack the grown political culture and insight needed to be a part of Europe - which they are not anyway.
    It strikes me that democracy isnt a value in itself for Turkey but something to barter with. Nor are the reforms the EU *forced* on them. Reforms hastily implemented which have not grown out of a social/political need and understanding. Reforms that dont mirror their values, thus are not a part of their lifes. Reforms that are nothing but means to an end. Meaningless reforms.

Sorry, but I am not convinced by their so called progress.
    Let a non-european country (in more ways than one) join, a country that will soon have the largest population in the EU - and deal the EU a crippling blow.

6. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Turkey doesn't belong in Europe...period.

Different people, different culture, different religeon, different view on human rights, etc...

If they allow the Turks, you might just as well invite the Japanese, the Australians, the Papuas of New Guinee, hell...why not ask everyone to join and become one big cheesy family.

7. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Actually, inviting Asia wouldn't be that bad idea either. It IS one of the growing economies of this world and if Turkey would join; they probably could get their engines started too. More trade = more wealth = higher living-standards for us all. Simply rejecting them because they live a bit differently is no reason at all. Turkey is just one country and every country in the union will take influence from the others at least in some degree. If you are afraid of their religion, ask yourself; how long it can hold on in a quickly modernized country? Not for long, as religion is a thing of past, thus THEY should actually fear the union more than us. :D

Cultures should not be feared: they will not suddenly "jump" at you. ;)

8. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

I'd rather be jumped by a long legged blonde female if it's all the same with you. :D

9. Carcaroth

Carcaroth I call on the priests, saints and dancin' girls ★ SPS Account Holder

Are not adequate reasons for preventing people entering the EU in any way. The same could be said of most of the countries. (Even religion if you seperate Protestant and Catholic). However I agree their history on human rights, especially the Kurds, should give a reason for pause.

Economically, their inclusion will likely strengthen the EU. There is a huge amount of money going into infrastructure and construction which is generally a good indication of economic growth.

10. Dendri Gems: 20/31

Then I dont see why we call it European Union.
    In my opinion the borders of Europe are defined by geography AND values.
    Different people/cultures obviously dont share these values... or else they wouldnt be called different.
    Someone can start a Global Union if they feel like beginning a hopless political process. I wish for the EU to succeed.

Plus we can do trade and all that with Turkey as it is. No need to let them join for economic reasons.

11. Shadowdrinker Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Although i cant believe what i read about Turkey here in this forum,i know we as Turks usually have a bad image in Europe.But that is so because we cant explain ourselves rightly.I suggest people,who have bad ideas about Turkey,just to come visit a city in Turkey once and meet some modern turkish people.You can also read some history of this country and see it has been a secular and democratic regime for over 80 years.People tend to believe Turkey is just like any other middle-eastern country like Iran and Syria it is deffinetly not true.Europeans accuse us of being non-democratic.but you must see that democracy is a neverending process. and today we can see non-democratic devolopments in the so-called "modern and civilized" european countries as an example lately it has been proven that the english government has put many people in jail without having a trial just because he thinks they are terrorist (i dont say they are not but you know everyone is innocent until proven guilty),and what about Berlusconi the prime minister of Italy,he has many accusations against him and somehow he keeps on escaping from them.There are many more examples of such non-democratic developments in europe.I gave them not to say you are like us and you are putting double standards but to explain that democracy is a process.I also want to clear out the thing that was said about the situation with the Kurds.We have had kurdish parlimentarians and even prime ministers in Turkey.I ask you if we really hated kurds,would we have elected them?

12. Darkthrone Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Right you are, Shadowdrinker!

Shame on you others, though! What have you got in your hands?

a) Economics. Ha! If that was anything to measure EU member wannabes by, then we'd embrace Turkey wholeheartedly and rather reject Poland or the Czech Republic. Or Germany, if it comes ot that ;) .
    b) Different Cultures. Cf. Carcoroth's statement.
    c) Turkey is not part of Europe. What? Of course it is. Ever been to Istanbul? There's Europe inside, I tell you! Even historically Turkey has always been among the big players in Europe.
    d) Religion. Yeah, sure. So all of a sudden, Chechenya or Kazakhstan are not Europe any more as well?

Best part is

Sorry, Dendri. You'd be happier if they still had death penalty just so you'd feel the changes would be more gradual and organic? Bollocks!

13. toughluck Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Darkthrone - the traditional definition of Europe included only what lay to the Bosfor, and to Ural. So, no, Kazakhstan and Chechnya have NEVER been considered part of Europe. Same for Turkey, which is part of Asia Minor (still not Middle East, mind you).

14. Shadowdrinker Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Is it really important where you come from?Ural mountains are in Asia so europeans are also asians.so who is a real european?the world is becoming smaller with each passing day.I also would like to say that Geography doesnt draw the borderlines but people do.

15. Dendri Gems: 20/31

Too bad that Turkey is a wee bit larger than Istanbul, Darkthrone. No zoning out of archaic Anatolia, please. I will not accept a nation that might soon have 100 million citizens for the sake of one (admittetly impressive) city.

Deathpenalty? Okay, they got rid of it. Then you will consider it a major progress that there is no longer systematic use of torture, too.
    Doing one step away from the dark ages doesnt make Turkey a nation that upholds european standards of human rights.

16. Carcaroth

Carcaroth I call on the priests, saints and dancin' girls ★ SPS Account Holder

As it happens Shadowdrinker, I have Turkish relatives on both sides of my family. I don't think they are in any way a non-democratic country. I am also disgusted with the way that the British government is acting on the "war on terror" by locking people up without trial. And also how the Italian premier would appear to be a complete crook. (Although the Italian system is probably not as corrupt now as it was made out to be 20-odd years ago).
    I also didn't state you hated Kurds, but some of the reporting by the BBC (I have nothing else to go on) does question how human rights are being abused. I have included a couple of examples.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/3370079.stm
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/3203016.stm

Having said that, the European Comission now states:

I can not really see any reasons for Turkey not joining the EU, depending on what their response is to the Cypress question.

Dendri
    I think I'm right in saying that at least part of Turkey is within Europe, as the divide between Europe and Asia is the Bosphorus, Turkey (and Istanbul) is on both sides. French Guiana in South America is included as being part of France, that's a wee bit further afield.

The EU (or EC as it was then) was created after WW2 to provide economic links between countires to prevent the chance of was between them. I don't understand why you think the EU fail by including another country? The only reason I can see the EU failing is for economic reasons, but you say there's no reason to let them join for economic reasons, therefore it also shouldn't be a barrier to entry. The EU has it's set of values laid out which Turkey will need to show compliance to in order to attain membership. I think the chances of them throwing out those values having gained membership are fairly slim.
    Refusing entry because of ethnic differences smacks of racism. As far as I'm aware, the EU is not supposed to be a "club" to give us an economic advantage over other people.

17. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I don't see anything none-European about Turkey. If Turkey isn't European, what about Finland, Hungary, Ireland, Serbia, Albania, Greece, Spain, Malta, Iceland, Italy (the south of it). All this countries can hardly be called European, can't they.

Santa Claus is a Turk. Fair enough to consider Turkey European. I have more doubts about Russia.

And for the state of the Turkish political system. Wouldn't be the first that has to go a long way from rather questionable beginnings. Italy, Spain, Portugal and Germany seized their chance, why shouldn't the Turks ?

And the one and only classic and true definition of Europe is, that Asia begins at the Landstrasse.

18. toughluck Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

We can always argue that a European country is one that lies in the Old World and has adopted either Roman or Greek law system.

As for Turkeys: I don't think turkeys should have any special rights in the EU. If people want to eat them, I think they should. I don't think turkeys should become EU citizens, mainly because they are of different species. ;)

19. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    If they are allowed an entry in the Eurovision song contest, then they are a part of Europe for me. :banana:

Same goes for the other two great European nations: Russia and Isreal.

20. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

As long as Turkish authtorities practise torture and Turkey refuses to accept the Greek Cyprus they have no business in EU. When these things are taken care of then Turkey should be accepted as a EU member as any other nation. Besides France is practically dragging Romania to the EU which has a lot more serious problems than Turkey.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.