1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Tsunami victims denied aid by Christian missionaries

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by ArtEChoke, Jan 19, 2005.

1. ArtEChoke Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Villagers furious with Christian Missionaries

If there's any truth (I don't know that it is, I can't find anything else on it)to this article :eek:

Interesting topic of discussion though: Is this an acceptable form of missionary work/conversion? Is this how you'd like followers added to your flock?

2. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Aid from Israel was also denied. Some people never learn.

Edit: after reading this for the second time, i realise this has little to do with the topic. My bad.

3. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    WTF? Now some people obviously don't understand their own religion.

If the story is true and someone dies, his blood will be on the missionary's hands.

4. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    It is pretty common really, the large aid packages promised to Africa for AIDS prevention and treatment refuses to give any funds to organisations who performs abortions or advocates it and they are not even fond of organisations who advocates the use of condoms and the like.

5. chevalier

Media:
    That's understandable so long as the money can't be given directly to the people who need it. I.e. if the money goes to pay for abortions or to pay for the organisation's bills, it's understandable to withhold donations. Especially if there's another way of reaching the needy. If you are entrusted with some charity money by your church, it's quite reasonable that you don't hand it over to the church's enemies - or ideological opponents, if you prefer. But demanding conversion, religious or ideological, from a needy person under the pain of not receiving the aid is a travesty.

[ January 19, 2005, 18:09: Message edited by: chevalier ]

6. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I hate this kind of socalled Christianity. Gives my Lord a bad reputation.
    Like you could really expect these refugees would love God this way.

:(

7. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Ah, but which is more important--saving the body or saving the soul?

Or so the reasoning goes.

8. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Good point AMaster, for the missionary it's a bit like a firefighter trying to help a suicidal man.
    If the firefighter wouldn't grab the man from the ledge, then he would kill himself, if the missionary wouldn't grab a man from his 'ignorance' then he would burn an eternity.

9. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Yes, but that argument completely falls apart when you realize that the missionary's failure to give aid may kill the person, but giving aid will allow a lifetime to reflect and perhaps come into the fold even if the person isn't quite willing to do it now.

10. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

I'll be honest, I haven't directly helped with the tsunami effort, even by giving money, so who am I to criticize people out there who are willing to help those of their faith?

Still, this unnerves me, and I share the opinion that religion should not have been a big deal in whether the missionaries helped the victims. But I've heard the deal has probably worked the other way around too, with some victims refusing help on the basis of faith.

11. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I hope the story is false. Refusing aid unless you convert is (IMO) the same as demanding conversion at sword point. Die or convert. The conversion is made under duress and is null and void.

12. Abomination Gems: 26/31

And I'm certain the nuns would realise that. I think there is a high chance the report is false.

13. Cernak Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

The story of the Good Samaritan is very much to the point, I think. You help those who need help. To refuse to give it, when you could, is not just un-Christian (if that is your religion), it is evil.

14. AMaster Gems: 26/31

Media:
    I wasn't saying the argument was valid, dmc--just trying to understand what was/is going through those missionaries' heads.

15. CĂșchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I thought the Christin attitude was to help all those in need unconditionally - not to convert.

When it comes down to it religion is a business just like Mcdonald's. Of course I am not talking about all religions or even all branches of Christianity.

I guess what the Bible teaches and what Christian leaders preach are 2 different things.

16. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Unfortunately this is often too true.

I did a search and did not find any other reference to this incident. I wonder if anyone has seen it anywhere else?

17. chevalier

Media:
    The soul is not saved by a forced conversion and I dare say the missionary endangers his own soul by making aid conditional upon conversion. If he really does that, though, and we only have this one source.

Not necessarily. The biggest problem is the relation between what some of them preach and what they do. There's also a difference between what the big leaders preach and what the small leaders do when they don't think they are being watched. When the cat's away...

Then again, this wasn't a truckload of self-proclaimed champions, but a convoy run by nuns. I don't say the report is false, but there might have been some misunderstanding. For example preaching in the same time as distributing the aid and the locals refusing the aid because they wouldn't accept the preaching. But fact stands, some Christians do behave like that. Which only shows they don't really understand what they are preaching.

18. Khemsa Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

If, and I empasize if, this story is true then these nuns should have known better. This is the exact same tactic the English used against Irish Catholics during the potato famine: food was available to starving Irish *if* they would give up their Catholic Faith first. Having been the victims of it, it would be a disgrace to do it to others. Additionally, despite lying propaganda to the contrary, the Catholic Church absolutely forbids forced conversions -- including the kind described here.

19. Zurga Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

My country was christned by a viking, who was tasked by a king to do so. He traveled throughout the land, attacked chieftains at night, and gave them the choice between the cross or the sword. Hows that for saving souls? For as we all know, people that are forced to believe in God, would truely believe in him, and not just say they did because they were forced. Right?

As for the incident, well it does seem rather unlikely and could be an misunderstanding. If not, them I guess the nuns would have some explaining to do when they shuffled off this mortal coil.

20. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

And this, young ones, is why I don't belong to any religous group, even though I am a christian, a quite fanatical one.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.