1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Tsunami Donations, Brits Put Rest To Shame

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Barmy Army, Jan 2, 2005.

1. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Stand and think about the people who have died. Yep, I think we've all done that one already. Offer money and other aid to try and restore some kind of normality to the place and try to help in rebuilding their shattered lifes and homes; we're onto that bit now.

What argument are you actually using?

2. ArtEChoke Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

3. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    No she doesn't - a nation needs huuuuge...tracts of land. ;)

Seriously, with any luck, other celebs will jump on this bandwagon.

4. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I am sure that more celebraties have given donations without making a big deal out of it. Don't get me wrong - its great that she has made a large donation but it hardly needs to make the news headlines.

5. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Cesard - normally I would agree with you, but in this case, it might "encourage" other publicity-hungry celebs to donate if they wouldn't have otherwise done so. I generally hate people who try to grab the spotlight, but I think right now it's more important to focus on the results rather than the motivation.

6. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Yes you are correct, the most important thing is to get as much help as soon as possible.

7. Slith

Slith Look at me! I have Blue Hands! Veteran

I don't doubt that Paris Hilton or Anna Nicole Smith, with their lust for media coverage, shall donate enough to put multiple celebrities to shame. And, probably, Oprah.

8. nior Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I heard Michael Schumacer gave $10M, any confirmation?

9. Carcaroth

Carcaroth I call on the priests, saints and dancin' girls ★ SPS Account Holder

yes, 'twas on the Radio this morning.

10. Son of Bhaal Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

11. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I don't care that much for rich and famous people giving millions or thousands of bukazoids to help. It's nice money flows in, but it are the poor families willing to share their small fortune who are touching my heart.

Still, even with the money needed, there is bureaucracy and a bad infrastructure delaying the help people want to give.

12. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Germany pledges 500 million euros

We have a new leader on the list, but the brits are promising another several hundred million pounds. Will we have a different leader tomorrow?

It actually IS becoming a contest :(

13. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Billions and billions to this disaster and not a dime for all the other disasters around the world. It wouldnt surprise me if the stricken countries end up with more aid money than they can spend.

14. Carcaroth

Carcaroth I call on the priests, saints and dancin' girls ★ SPS Account Holder

If that is the case, hopefully some of the money will be re-directed to Sudan (amongst others)

15. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Well looks like it has turned into a political pissing contest. At least the money ends up somewhere nice - in the pockets of New Zealand's major trading partners :D

16. toughluck Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Well, the World Bank itself is funded by the wealthiest coutries, so its share should be mentioned along with member nations according to their participation.

Either way - Japan is doing a mighty fine job with those donations. It is really refreshing to see that at least some countries are not abandoning their sphere of influence* in its time of need. Seems they've turned the direction of the flow of funds to rather than fro - at least for a while.

*) Most (if not all) Japanese corporations have moved an incredible majority of their manufacturing to SE Asia, China, and some to India.

17. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

What a major input from Michael Schumacher and his brother Ralph. They are indeed good for 10.000.000 € together. Kudos to them both.

18. Nizidramanii'yt Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

"I think Bush has no budget for this kind of thing because he spends it all on the war-effort.."

Yes, he does. He gave a staggering 10.000$ from his own pocket. Wowie! I bet he's a lot richer than that. He probably doesn't even care and just donates something to pretend to.

19. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Bah...what I find really sickening is the bureaucrats and politicians are trying to gain political mileage out of this, instead of devoting their attentions to helping the people in need.

For instance, in India itself, the Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu (the state which was hardest hit in India) is demanding RS. 4800 crore which is approximately $ 100 Million. Now the papers are covering the legal tussle between the state and central governments, rather than the poor people suffering in Tamil Nadu. :flaming: :flaming:

On the other hand, I really am amazed by the worldwide response in light of this tragedy... :)

Its times like these you see all the good come out of people. :)

20. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    The dumbest idea I heard in years was the blue armring, in Holland you can now buy blue armbands(based on Armstrongs yellow armbands, for the fight against cancer)
    For 2 euros you can buy one and most of the money gets donated to SE Asia, great idea huh?

NO, if people really cared for SE Asia, they didn't buy some dumb armband, they donated the money directly to an integer fund, stop trying to show off how much 'better' you are!

@Faraaz, might it be possible that the central government wants to spend the money in other good investments, or are they sticking the money in their own pockets?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.