1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Trivial Pursuit

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Felinoid, Nov 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

2. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

No, though Royal is correct.

3. Lost Meme Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I recall a friend of mine told me it was a Royal Mail Ship.

4. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

It is, Lost Meme. /me hands you torch

5. Lost Meme Gems: 8/31

On with the show;

What are all the states of matter?

6. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now?

Eeee, science! :bigeyes: And the answer is:

Gaseous, liquid, solid, and plasma.

EDIT: Bah, I never bothered to learn the nonsense ones. :p

[ November 10, 2005, 03:31: Message edited by: Felinoid ]

7. Lost Meme Gems: 8/31

You're missing three :p

8. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Okay, I'll show my ignorance. Other than 'Bose-Einstein condensates' what are the others?

/sound of creaking rocking chair.

Back in my day we didn't even study plasma much less BE condensates. First three, then five, now seven?

9. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

I'm with you Nakia, there were only 3 states when I studied and I'd heard about Plasma but the rest ?

/sits on porch swing

Lemonade anyone ? :D

10. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

[​IMG] Hmm... So we have BEC's, the normal 3 and Plasma... I'll take a stab at Liquid Crystal (at one time folks were lobbying for this to take the coveted 4th state of matter slot, but plasma and BECs are waaayy cooler ;) ) but the 7th eludes me... It can't be energy via E = mc^2 because energy is a mathematical abstraction rather than 'stuff'. All Einstein's equation covers is equivalence. So I'm stumped. :heh:

/me Strums banjo, a la Deliverance

11. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    /sound of creaking rocking chair

Thank 'e kindly for the lemonade, DarkStrider. Tastes good while we wait for Lost Meme to enlighten us.

This has turned into a community effort but since Felinoid posted the four main/real states of matter it's his turn.

12. Lost Meme Gems: 8/31

Nakia got BECs right, but Liquid Crystals are not considered to be a state of matter.
    Here's a hint before you all turn into hillbillies;
    One of the states of matter was only recently discovered and is similar to BECs.

13. Nakia

Media:
    Aha, think I heard of one that's the opposite of BEC's (caused by extreme heat instead of cold) but danged if I know it's name.

/Pulls out corn cob pipe.

14. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I'm with Felinoid, almost. There are only 3 states of matter: Solid, Liquid, Gas. Any others are just nonsense ones that have been made up to give physics students something to do their theses on. Let's leave fantasy fairy land and get on with the game, please.

15. Felinoid

Yeah, what I was taught (only...six years ago) was that there were only four, and even plasma was a little iffy. How about a new question?

16. Lost Meme Gems: 8/31

Fine, a new question. I'll give it to the Big Cat, because he said the basic ones.
    In case you're interested though, the missing states were:
    Filament (e.g. lightning, solar coronae, ion jets)
    Fermionic condensate - this is similar to Bose-Einstein condensate, but it comes from fermions not bosons.

17. Felinoid

Well, I thought you would be the one giving the new question, but...okay.

EDIT: Err, nevermind my previous question; I just realized that it wouldn't be fair to our international members to give an American sports question. So here's the new one:

What Sherpa guide had a Nepalese name that meant "Wealthy-fortunate Follower of Religion"?

18. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Tenzing Norgay? (i.e. the only Sherpa guide I have ever heard of)

19. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

@ Lost Meme: firstly, gah! :bang: I was so close to posting Fermionic condensate, but we were never taught about it at Uni, so I thought I'd just made it up... You live and learn. :shake:

Secondly:
    Err... Aren't these all examples of plasmas? :confused: Granted, plasmas strongly restricted by EM fields, but that kind of goes with the territory (I suppose a Z-pinch would be another example by that definition, correct?). I'm not doubting that someone may have tried to define it as a separate state of matter, I'm just questioning whether it's at all worth the tag, when those examples are just specific cases of plasmas. :hmm:

20. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I found nine states recognized by physics. Filaments was not one of them (I agree with Magpie, those appear to be plasmas, but then I'm a chemists)-- four of them all had to do with states of matter at extremely low temperatures (three at absolute zero).

Only five or six are recognized by chemists (liquid crystals and BE Condensates are sometimes mentioned).

For biologists the states are alive and dead.

For geologists there is only one state -- rock. Everything else is just waiting to be incorporated into the rock.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.