1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Triumph the Insult Comic Dog angers Canadians

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by ArtEChoke, Feb 17, 2004.

1. Blackhawk Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

So I take it that the NDP is the pretty much the same as the Green Party. At least in terms of respectability and authority. Right?

2. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Pretty much, except the NDP isn't as sensible.

3. Blackhawk Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

[​IMG] Y'know Canada could let Quebec become a independent state ....

... and then they could petition for membership in the United States. Everyone who thinks Puerto Rico will #51, could be very wrong! :)

4. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

@Blackhawk

I doubt they would join the US. They would be afraid of losing their french-speaking identity. That is one of the reasons they didn't join up with you guys 200 years ago.

As for the dog, I thought it was funny. Then again, I am a little far away from the problem, being in BC and all.(Brithish Columbia[BC] is the province on the west coast, you know, FWI)

5. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    My next door neighbors are Canadian. If I understand their position correctly, they would have no problem if Quebec would secede from Canada. Their only condition is that Quebec take responsibility for any and all debts that Canada still has outstanding that relate to the province.

6. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Conan apologises (kinda)

@ Snook - certainly some people have that attitude, but there are may of us who would rather that we work out our differences and keep Quebec part of Canada.

7. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I was born in Quebec and, although my family moved outside of Quebec due to the idiotic French language protection laws that were put in place in the late 70s, I would not want to see my birthplace become a seperate country regardless of whether or not they assumed their fair share of our national debt.

8. Djieff Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Wow, where to begin...

I now live in Ottawa, but I was born in La Malbaie, Québec and lived in Québec for 25 years before moving 2 years ago. So it doesn't get any more French-Canadian than this, folks.

There is SO MUCH to say about this situation... First of all, us Québécois are VERY sensitive about everything that has to do with our language and culture. As a people, we have been conquered by England and dominated by English laws and ideologies for the past 250 years or so. What English-Canada doesn't understand is that we HAVE to constantly fight (which the rest of the country dismisses as "being obnoxious") to maintain shreds of our cultural identity and distinctiveness. Some people think that in order to achieve that we have to separate from Canada because we are doomed to extinction as a culture if we stay in Canada, swallowed under the Canado-American tide. Québécois in general are a lot more French than Canadian, believe me.

What angered me the most (yes, I was *outraged* when I saw the skit, as were about 6 million Québécois) was this line:

"Hey, this is North America. Learn the language!"

Language is what DEFINES us as a people. This is a slap in the face. Hate crime. Oh, and if I lived in Mexico, I'd be pretty offended too. Let's put it this way: if Triumph had approached a Black man in the U.S. and said: "Hey slave! Come here and shine my shoes!", Conan would have been taken off the air faster than it takes me to type this.

For Canadians, crapping on Québec is becoming a national sport, especially in recent weeks. Some people say that they are afraid that this will fuel the separatist fire. I say I've never felt more universally hated before. I'm sure I'm not the only one. Keep in mind that I live in Ottawa, Ontario, that I work for the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT and that I'm NOT a separatist. At least, I didn't use to be...

Before I finish:
    Québec would sooner joint the Republic of Botswana than the US. Not even close.

And of course Canada would reciprocate by giving back all federal tax money paid by Québec residents that was used to finance, say, Newfoundland? Get real. If Québec separated, Canada would owe us so much money that the rest of the country would go bankrupt. Why do you think English-Canada wants us to stay so badly? It's certainly not because they like us!

As far as the "sense of humor" argument goes... it's one thing to make fun of a certain group of people (Star Wars fans ARE geeks and they know it), but to call an entire race "Quebequeers" is racism pure and simple. And as I said before, if Conan - or, as he's been nicknamed in Québec, "Connard" (jackass) - had said about, say, the Jews, 1/10th of what he said about us, the american press would be all over his bony ass.

So for all of you who don't think this is a big deal, there ya go.

Thanks for reading and stop the hatred!
    :p

9. Dogstarr Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

as a canadain living in Ontario i dont see the big deal, i moved to canada when i was 14 from northern ireland.They english always poke fun at the isish and vice-versa.and they few times ive been in quebec i have never been treated so rudely in my life,why is it that when a english speaking canadain goes to quebec they are expected to speak french and labels on everything are in french,,while in ontario if a quebecer comes over we still are expected to talk to them in french even if they know english they make no atempt to speak it....

PS.Get over it already

10. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Saw the show just yesterday, and it was hilarious. Triumph is always funny but rarely as funny as he was there. I actually like it that there are people to take it all seriously, as that's the point in his humour. Where'd the fun be if there was no excitement of hearing someone say straight out what no-one else dares.

It's not good to have fun at the expense of others, usually. But there are exceptions, of which Triumph is certainly one. I don't care about culture, nor do I care about politics. In those circles its easy to make anything seem as a direct attack and insult. What I care about, is that he's a marvelous comedian, and that I'm completely on the same wavelength with his humour.

11. ArtEChoke Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

I've been staying quiet and just watching the replies on this... pretty interesting stuff.

I've been completely unable to download any of the Ed the Sock movies, the site is always too busy, so the jury is still out on that one. But I can't wait to see it.

Just a couple of things about Djieff's post:

Universally hated? Because a dog—puppet made fun of the language difference?

:eek: Its ok to make fun of THEM but definately not MEEEEEE.

Hello pot, meet kettle.

12. Splunge

Media:
    I’m a bit pressed for time, so my apologies in advance if this doesn’t come across very well.

@ Dogstarr – it’s narrow-minded attitudes like the one you express that give justification to the whole separatist movement. I’m not going to comment on everything you said, but I will say this – last fall, my wife and I spent a week in Montreal, and I have nothing but good things to say about the city and the people we encountered. Granted, we stuck mainly to the “touristy” areas, but even when we didn’t, we found Montrealers to be friendly and courteous.

@ Djieff – not being French-Canadian, it’s not my place to tell you how to feel; certainly I understand many of the sentiments you expressed, but I would like to make a couple of comments if I may (and even if I may not, I’m going to anyway :p ):

I can understand why you feel the way you did, but to me, this was the same thing as someone saying (with tongue firmly planted in cheek) that women belong in the kitchen – in other words, it was not meant to be taken seriously. However, I acknowledge that some people actually believe that Francophones should learn the language, and I can see why it would upset Quebecois.

I honestly don’t know why you say this. My general impression is that things have cooled down from, say, ten years ago. But then, my perception may be different from yours. Plus, being from a province and city that has a fairly large (and generally accepted) Francophone population, I may have a different outlook than others.
    Well, I don't know who would owe who. But as someone who wants Quebec to stay, I take exception (and a bit of offense) to that last sentence.
    Well, let’s not get carried away. (Just kidding :p )

13. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Of course you do.

Sincerely,

America

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.