1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Traps?!

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Sylvus Moonbow, Oct 14, 2000.

1. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

My second game I am playing as Blade character, although, more or less for the pick pocket so I can find out what's on NPCs ;) Otherwise, it is a pretty good class, well rounded (although weaker than I expected) but easily given a good -5 AC if you have the right equipment and live long enough to both use and find it.

Syl...

2. Draco Vlasavius Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

I just 'gotta' love it! Here in BG2 (as in BG1) they have forced everyone to see the 'need' for some kind of Thief. Dual or Multi classed. The benefits were already listed above but again:

*Special Snares/Traps (unbelievable damage to ALL types of monsters, like those that need +4 weapons).

*Disarming Traps -life saving as well as XP gaining.

*Pick Pockets - find out who 'just so happens to have an artifact' on them. As well as 'see item in shop? -steal item in shop!
    *BackStabs -occasional fun for a assasination. Best when used with the Cloak of Non Detection vs the 'Fiesty Mage'.
    *Stealth/Scouting -Best with boots of speed and cloak of non detection.

Please remember EVERY CLASS has pros and cons. Until you play your main character as a class then you'll never truly know what they are about.

my opinions once again...

[This message has been edited by Draco Vlasavius (edited October 16, 2000).]

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Hehe, "this Sorcerer guy" played BG2 two months before you or anyone else here got it. Hehe, I turned the beta inside out.
    It's true however that I haven't started playing the done game yet. One of the reasons being the fact that it STILL isn't available here. A small part of Europe with lousy distributors. Bleh.
    At least it gave me the time to finish IWD before I start playing BG II. (Again).

So, did the "summoned monster=trap cannon fodder" trick work? ;)

4. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31

[​IMG] No idea. I'm too busy doing some solution for some site :D

Syl...

5. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Gee, I wonder which site that could be? :D

6. The Fat Egg Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

And i thought I got the first copy, I'm never first at anything! (especially high school gym) this brings back so many bad memories *sob, *sob*

7. Draco Vlasavius Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

I tried using a summoned creature (Ariel Servant and Invis Stalker) to set off (the?) only trap I found in the Underdark/S-E dungeon. Unsuccessful. I do not think anything has the ability to set off traps other than our own 'clutzy' characters.

I also recall walking some skeletons 'ahead' of me in the IWD's Dragon's Eye Dungeon to try to 'set off' the numerous land mine's in there. Unsuccessful. If there is a way to use a specific summoned creature to do this, it's certainly none of the creature's that I've tried.

[This message has been edited by Draco Vlasavius (edited October 17, 2000).]

8. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31

That's pretty stupid. A pressure trap is a pressure trap regardless of who steps on it and would be nice to be able to do for those of us who still don't have a thief in are party, or simply don't want one.

Unless of course, these traps are so sophisticated that they know an adventurer's boot over that of a foul beast.

That's gotta be it!

Syl...

9. Dan the man Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Ok, how about this...
    Make a thief and set his stats up to be whatever you wanted your original character to be. Once you start the game, dual-class him and have the other members of your party do all the fighting until he is strong enough do it himself. It shouldn't take long given the amount of experience you gain compared to BG1 and the 80 odd k you get at the start isn't going to cost you much as far as your final level is concerned, for most characters anyway

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.