1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Top Five Greatest Sportspeople

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by Harbourboy, Oct 5, 2005.

1. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Freddie averages over 33 with the ball I think and around the same with the bat. They're hardly world-class figures, but no-one doubts he is a world class player. I think Vettori is world class. Plus, he is the only cricketer I know to wear glasses. That gives him a 'geek-sportsman' factor.

2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Andrew Flintoff is playing well at the moment, but that does not make him one of the greatest sportsmen of all time either. If he keeps playing this well over the rest of his career then his averages will end up reflecting that. But at the moment, they don't look so great because of the inconsistency he showed when he was younger.

3. Sydax Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

:lol: Same was said about Robinho when signed for Real Madrid: 'the successor of Pele', he played 2 games and did 2 or 3 tricks and people said 'he's the best ever' :lol:
    Now he heats bench.

4. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

1) Don Badman - No explanation needed
    2) Larry Bird - greates basketballer ever IMHO - he could do anything! Far too underated, apart from me BOC has been the only one to mention him.
    3) Michael Jordon - No one can dunk like him!
    4) Pele - Greatest in his field, I don't watch soccer and he was a bit before my time, but his effect on the game was undenyable.
    5) Mohomad Ali - ditto, but with boxing instead of soccer

@grillen - its spelt Fata1ity :D . Although computer games aren't really a sport he does have a nice range of Mobos!

5. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Talking about spelling....MohOmad ? JordOn ? Had a little too much to drink had we ? :D

6. Darkwolf Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Jim Thorpe accomplished arguably what no other athlete in history has.

Barry Sanders Would hold a ton of NFL rushing records if he hadn't got pissed at the Lions. Also, at less than 5'7" tall, he could dunk a basketball from a flat-footed jump (I know, I have seen him do it in person). So it is a homer pick!

Cassius Clay Incredible personality, revolutionized boxing, now lets revolutionize boxing into the history books. He would have been an incredible athlete at whatever sport he decided to take up.

Lance Armstrong Another sport I could care less about, but given what he went through, an amazing individual.

Pete Rose Charlie hustle. Here is a guy with a marginal physic and dubious skills who played 100% all most 100% of the time. Too bad he couldn't resist the gambling bug. Should have been a unanimous first ballot hall of famer, instead he will always be a member of the hall of infamy. :(

One more to make up for my homer pick above.

Pele Can't think of anything that wasn't already said above.

OUT!

7. Newfie Banned

1. Muhammad Ali - the perfect blend of sportsman. Strong, smart, charismatic, fast, competitive, enduring. He was a role model for many African American youngsters, adults and known the world over. What he managed to do outside the ring, as well as his great legacy inside it, is what sets him apart from every other athlete.

2. Michael Jordan - the same as Muhammed Ali but without the natural charisma Ali had. Still what he accomplished playing basketball, his presence on the court and what he did for the game of basketball is legendary. He turned himself into a corporation and a role model for every aspiring basketball player out there in his era.

3. Wayne Gretzky - Arguably may have not been the greatest hockey player ever (Bobby Orr or Mario Lemieux), but his style of hockey turned it into a game of grace and sportsmanship. Outside of the fact of holding so many records, he was the leader on probably on the greatest hockey team put together ever. He is a legend here in Canada.

4. Lance Armstrong - his wins non-withstanding, to survive his ordeal and manage to accomplish what he has reveals the true heart of a champion. If he participated in a better known sport, I would rate him higher.

5. Jesse Owens - Not only for his accomplishments in Track and Field, but for smacking Hitler in the face with his idea of the Aryan race.

[ October 18, 2005, 07:30: Message edited by: Newfie ]

8. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I'm with Rally on Babe Didrickson Zaharis (1). She was simply the most dominating athlete of all time -- in three sports.

Beyond that:

Track: Jesse Owens (2). Shamed the Nazi's singlehandedly.

Boxing: Mohammed Ali (3). Simply the greatest of all time.

Baseball: Henry Aaron (4). No question. Add his bases up and he traveled TWELVE MILES more than anyone else in baseball.

And all the rest that belong here (tied for 5)

Basketball: Wilt Chamberlain and Bill Russell. The NBA changed the rules because of Wilt. And Bill was the only one who could stop him.

Football: Johnny Unitas and Roger Staubach. Unitas was the most dominant player in football -- picture Manning AND his offensive coordinator in one person. Staubach because he was Navy ( :) ) and was the heir apparent to Unitas as the premier QB in football. No one has been able to call an entire game from the QB spot as effectively since.

Golf: Ben Hogan. Dominated the circuit. Was nearly killed in an accident and told he would never walk again. He did. And won. A lot.

Hockey: It doesn't have a ball, who cares.

NASCAR: Is this even a sport?

Soccer: Too boring to care -- although Pele was amazing.

9. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

1. Roberto Clemente: Great sports player, an even better human. He died doing what he loved (helping people), and IMO is one of the greatest role models as well as sportsplayer.

2. Jackie Robinson: Integrated a once racist game into a sport that is now dominated (not majority of people, but majority of skill) by people of other races and nationalities than White Americans.

3. Ted Williams: One of the best hitters of all time, and was very patriotic. Went to fight in WWII during his prime years as a player. If he hadn't, he would have had so much better numbers, made more money, and become more famous. Instead, he did something he believed in.

4. Tiger Woods: Set a new standard of golf. One of the most fun to watch as well as one of the best (obviously, there are others that are great too).

5. Billy Bean(e?): IMO, and in my way of playing baseball, one of the greatest managers ever. Makes teams that play smallball, are fast, and don't cost alot of money. I would love to meet him and discuss his strategies. He is one of the greatest masterminds of the current game of baseball (i'm not going to say greatest masterminds ever, because I am not too sure of the managers in the past).

EDIT: Curses, I forgot Lance Armstrong! Well, he is up there, too. Can't forget about the Lance...

10. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

George Best - Football

Phil "The Power" Taylor - Darts

Steven Hendry - Snooker

Lenox Lewis - Boxing

Tiger Woods - Golf

11. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

I think it would be easier if we ranked the best guy in every sport instead of just having to pick 5 people, since most of us dont follow all sports...

Anyway...

Michael Jordan- Perhaps the most fierce compeditor ever, did things on the court that werent even concidered possible.

Wayne Gretzky- Followed hockey more when I was a little kid, but from what I remember he was the best.

Pele- Dont realy follow soccer either, but from what I know, this guy was simply amazing.

Mohammad Ali- Obvious reasons

Lance Armstrong- -||-

Björn Borg- Tennis legend, plus he's swedish ;)

Sir Donald Bradman- Sounds like one helluva cricket player, but I dont get that sport

Babe Ruth- Baseball... Dont know anything about it

There are so many others...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.