1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

'Top 5' 1980s rock bands.

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Kitrax, Oct 4, 2005.

1. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Crikey - how could I leave out the Police?

That said - Chandos, how the hell could you leave out Roxanne? :nono: :p

I also thought of The Cure, but I don't really consider them a rock band for some reason, even though they are.

2. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    finally, someone's mentioning MUSIC rather than metal!

3. Undertaker Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

But 80s were golden years for metal! :D

4. Arahar

Arahar Hmm, it's a dwarf. Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

I refuse to list my top 5 because I simply don't have a top 5. I beleive that all late 70's through early 90's is outstanding music and refuse to rank each one.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2012
  5. CĂșchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Joy Division
    Sisters of Mercy
    The Human League
    Dead of Alive
    The Mission

This is a tiny percentage of great 'non-metal' 80's music.

6. jaded empath Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Veteran

[​IMG] Um, Chandos & Rally? I don't mean to imply you're not paying attention, but...

...from Kitrax in the start of the thread... :mommy:

7. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    To limit the category to "Big Hair Bands" is to do a gross injustice to the vast majority of the sounds coming out of the 80's.

8. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Excuse me, but that is the title of the thread.... But in Texas we do have a few ladies with "big hair." Sometimes it even looks blue. ;)

Great band.

Also, honorable mentions - Talking Heads, CS Angels, and The Cars...

9. jaded empath Gems: 20/31

Veteran

@rally - aye, I'll agree that hair, metal & glam do not the '80s make, but that's what Kitrax was looking for in the founding of this thread... :heh:

@chandos - okay, now I feel I've offended :( My point was the criteria became more specific with the inaugural post; I was ready to throw out the Police, Madonna, Queen, Duran Duran & AC/DC, but realized that three were not in the vein being examined, and after some dithering, DD got pushed to #6.

Again, sorry if it appears I was slighting you; far from it.

10. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    apathetic empath - No offense in the least. I only wanted to make the point that the title of the thread is what I went by, as there was no particular sub-genre listed in the title, like: "Top 5 Metal Bands of the 80s." But this is still a great thread, despite the confusion. Now what about the 70s? - Boston? Heart?

11. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Back on topic my children.

Do you guys prefer Black Sabbath *before* or *after* they dumped Ozzy? :rolling:

12. Undertaker Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

I really can't decide. RJD is far better singer than Ozzy but Ozzy is the original voice of BS. Other BS singers I don't mention.
    Cool albums without Ozzy:
    Mod Rules, Heaven and Hell, Dehumanizer - all with Dio.
    But all those classics were with Ozzy.

13. BOC

BOC Let the wild run free Veteran

Hard to tell, Black Sabbath with Ozzy have been the founding stone of heavy metal and on the other hand "Heaven and hell" and "Mob rules" have been cornerstones for the heavy metal of 80s. I guess that it depends on my mood, if I want to listen something raw I prefer them with Ozzy, I want to listen something more epic, I prefer them with Dio.

14. SatansBedFellow Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Personally I believe Ozzy to be the weakest of Sabbs' singers (Glenn Hughes not withstanding). :) Also, I found his final colaborations ('Technical Ecstacy' and 'Never Say Die') to be somewhat drab affairs. While Dio is possessed of an amazing voice, I have always been more partial to his efforts with Blackmore in Rainbow. Ian Gillan's peformance on 'Born Again' particularly on the song of the same title is of particular note. Though I was never too fond of the Glenn Hughes album ('Seventh Star') some of the work produced during Tony Martin's time at the helm is worth a listen ('The Headless Cross' and 'Tyr'albums being personal favourites).

15. jaded empath Gems: 20/31

Veteran

Bah - all these difficult questions are making me feel like this!

(If'n I knew there'd be a test on this I woulda studied harder ;) )

Sigh...seriously, I do agree with the point made against Mr. Osbourne, but I feel...I dunno unfaithful to listen to post-Ozzy Sabbath! :aww:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.