1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Top 100 Games SP community thinks you should own

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Abomination, Nov 8, 2004.

1. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Agree: Baldur's Gate II: Throne of Bhaal.

Disagree: Arcanum - Buggy as hell, I found the graphics to be very bland for its time.

Jaguar, why did you disagree with Arcanum?

2. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

I found the graphics in Arcanum sadly lacking as well. I also think the story line isn't the greatest.

3. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Agree: BG2 and halflife.

Nominate: Medal of Honor, Call of Duty and Knights of the Old Republic

4. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Agree with:

Baldur's Gate I
    Fallout I
    Arcanum
    Halflife
    Torment
    Civilization

Disagree with:

Diablo II: While good and very addictive it was more of the same and extremely repetitive.

My nominations:

Diablo I: This game was the first (and arguably the best) of it's kind. The levels were always different and item finding was never more fun. When that gold item dropped it immediately was a better day. "aaaaaahh....Fresh Meat"

Civilization I: Civ was one of my first PC games at the time and immediately the best. Every time it's a different game. This is an extremely addictive game and you can't stop until you see those paintings appearing on the endgame screen.

Secret of Mana: SoM's battle system is one of a kind. Real time fighting and spell casting were great and addictive. Eight weapons you can power up and release special moves. Spell system which also could be powered up by use. Maybe not the best storyline or charachter depth (actually none) but this game is a classic.

Heroes of Might and Magic II: HommII certainly deserves a place in the top 100. Homm's battlefield strategy is one of a kind. The storyline is nice and the creatures and castles are great. The music stands out above all though with classical opera in your castle.

Might and Magic VI: MMVI with it's '3d' world and 2d creatures was staggering when I first played it. The world is huge and fun. The skill and item system is most fun in this game. There is a great array of weaponry, armory and jewelry to choose from. Sure there are a lot of creatures too fight but there are also a lot of dungeons to be explored.

Settlers II: Die Siedler II is one great game. In this game the music also stands above all. You do have to be a fan of the gameplay to love this game. Basically there are points of the game where you don't have enough time to build and manager your kindom and there are moment where you actually can sit back for hours and let the blue guys do all the work.

5. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Age of Empires: Age of Kings[PC][RTS]

Age of Empires: Conquerors Expansion[PC][RTS]

Baldur's Gate[PC][RPG]

Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn[PC][RPG]

Baldur's Gate II: Throne of Bhaal[PC][RPG]

Blood 2: The Chosen[PC]
    A shooting game most viewed as under par, but I consider it one of the greatest game ever made. Great humor, good replayability, nice, well, blood. :rolleyes: Also, Caleb, the main character, is the greatest main character of all games. I mean, he's a fricking zombie!! With guns!!

Chrono Trigger[SNES][RPG]
    Another one of those must-have. Great story, somewhat good battle system, but it can be improved, great characters. I mean, you can have a FROG as a NPC in your group. Lame name for main character though.

Fallout[PC][RPG]

Fallout 2[PC][RPG]

Jagged Alliance 2[PC][RPG/RTS]

Master of Orion 2: Attack of Antares[PC][RTS]
    Another great strategy game, and I don't even like RTS. Complex, but not too complex, not too much micro-managment like MoO3 and great replayability as you can create your own races.

Master of Magic[PC][RTS]
    Practically Master of Orion in fantasy. Heroes, wizadry, strategy, it got it all. Once again, the great ability to create "races."

Metal Gear Solid[PC, GameQube, PS][RPG, TPS]
    Best "shooter" ever made. Great controls, great story, great replayability, all great. Plus, macho main character. Plus, the Cyborg Ninja is the best character ever in a game.

PlaneScape: Torment[PC][RPG]

Seiken Dentsetu 3[SNES][RPG, Adventure]
    For me, this is the second best RPG of all times. Best story ever, some of the best characters ever, best villian(s) ever.

Shadowrun[SNES][RPG]
    Great story, nice combat system, great cyberpunk setting, cool enemies, lame speech. :p

Starcraft[PC, N64][RTS]
    A variation of WC2, IMHO, but with new enhancing features plus it's sience fiction. It's a reason it's was the best-selling game ever for while.

Starcraft: Brood War[PC, N64][RTS]
    As Starcraft but with three complete extra campaigns and more units and heroes. A must-have if you already own Starcraft.

Street Fighter II: The New Challengers[SNES][KeU]
    Great fighting game, best ever made together with Tekken 4. Love the new, well, challengers and almost everyone have unique moves.

Tekken 4[PS2][KeU]
    While most Tekken fans consider Tekken 3 to be the best, I see Tekken 4 beat the third on every aspect. Better moves, better characters, better arenas.

Warcraft 2:BNE[PC, PS][RTS]
    Another one of the best strategy game ever made. While Bnet would need a facelift, the game is outstanding on so many aspects that it's sequels frown.

Yoshi Story[Platform][N64]
    The best platform game ever made, but then, I hate platforms. Plus, the soundtrack rocks. ;)

To Be Removed From The List IMHO:

Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2[PC][RTS]
    First of all, the game was the first to actually have worse graphics than the previous titles. The gameplay is sucky, the story is outright bad, and the gameplay is sucky. Oh wait, I already said that one.
    Also, the sound is REALLY bad.

Diablo II[PC][HnS]
    Mindless Hack 'n Slash with idiotic controls, useless story, bad combat system, ugly graphics. Powergamingfest. Bad over all. 1/10 IMHO.

[ November 08, 2004, 12:42: Message edited by: Caleb* ]

6. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Back when I still had time to play, I've played way too many great PC games to be able to write a short review for each of them in a reasonable amount of time, so I'll just make a quick list, and you can call it my recommendations. (I'll try not to go back in time too often, but this list would definitely be MUCH longer if I included every great old game I've played.)

Adventures: Day of the Tentacle, Sam & Max Hit the Road, Monkey Island (1, Curse of), Space Quest (1 & 6), Grim Fandango, Zork: The Grand Inquisitor, Leisure Suit Larry (1, 6, 7), Discworld (1 & 2), Toonstruck.

Arcades: Jazz Jackrabbit (1 & 2), Commander Keen (all), Lost Vikings, Micro Machines, Prehistorik (1 & 2), Raptor, Zool.

Shooters: Wolfenstein 3D, Duke Nukem 3D, Unreal Tournament, Half-life, Doom (1 & 2), Heretic, Star Trek: Elite Force.

CRPGs: Ultima (many, bar 9), Diablo (not exactly an RPG, but ok), Baldur's Gate + Tales of the Sword Coast, Planescape: Torment, Icewind Dale.

RTS: Command & Conquer, Warcraft (1-3), Starcraft.

And many, many others. "They don't make them like they used to" doesn't nearly express my desperation over the majority of common carbon copy crap that's getting released these days on a regular basis.

7. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Championship Manager 1-4. I have spent countless hours with this game, sadly the game has got worse with each installment. 3 and 4 are much worse than 1-2 even if they are more advanced. Championshipmanager 2 is the best one in my book. Perfect balance, lots of players, reasonable fast pace and not too much stuff to keep in mind.

8. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Agree:
    Baldur's Gate 1 and Baldur's Gate 2 and Throne of Bhaal

Disagree:
    Neverwinter Nights. - It was built up as something similar to Baldur's Gate but was nothing like it. I could put a lot of negative stuff here against it but one word would say it all for me: boring.

Nominations:

Max Payne 2 - PC, Action(?)

Come on guys, this is the game that allows you to move like Neo did in the 1st Matrix movie!! Its got great plot, dialogue, voice acting, graphics and gameplay. Also, there's the "Nude Mona" code :D

Final Fantasy X - PS2, RPG

This was the 1st FF game on the PS2 console and its graphics and gameplay were amazing. The story was beautiful and pretty damn deep. This is one of those games that just sucks you into all the drama.

Diablo - PC, Action-RPG

This, and this is probably true for a number of you too, was the game that sucked me into these types of computer games. For it's time it was pretty advanced and it's story, while a bit lacking, was actually pretty good. Also, while Diablo2 respawned enemies, Diablo1 changed stages allowing for variety (ex: if you got the poisoned water stage you wouldn't get to fight King Leoric, etc.)

9. Rhythm Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

Agree: Baldur's Gate II: Throne of Bhaal, Command & Conquer, Final Fantasy X, Full Throttle, Grim Fandango, Metal Gear Solid, Micro Machines, Starcraft, Sam & Max Hit the Road, Toonstruck, Warcraft II.

Disagree:

NWN - Boring, repetitive gameplay. And mundane. Did I mention boring and mundane?

Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds - Clone of AoE, strictly for fans of Star Wars.

Nominate:

Gran Turismo 2 - PSOne; Driving
    Pros: Tons of cars, customization, racing circuits.
    Cons: -

Prince of Persia: Sands of Time - PS2, XBOX, GC, PC; Action Adventure
    Pros: Graphics, sound, story, puzzles, innovative gameplay, level design.
    Cons: Unbalanced combo moves.

Street Fighter Alpha III - Arcade, PSOne; Fighting
    Pros: Everything you loved about the SF series with updated graphics.
    Cons: Filler characters.

Review:

Prince of Persia: Sands of Time - PS2, XBOX, GC, PC; Action Adventure
    After the awful Prince of Persia 3D, this title restores the Prince to the glory of his early games. Excellent visuals and music, superb level design and great story transports you to the era of the Arabian Nights. A classic.

Street Fighter Alpha III - Arcade, PSone; Fighting
    This instalment of the Street Fighter series brings you a plethora of characters to choose from including old favourites like Ryu, Chun Li, and Blanka and newer contenders such as Ibuki, Elena and Necro. Unfortunately some of them are merely characters with different sprites for the same move set. Still, it retains the Street Fighter 'feel'.

[ November 08, 2004, 17:14: Message edited by: Rhythm ]

10. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

KoTOR if it hasn't been mentioned.

11. Rednik Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Against: Warcraft III- The campaign was very bleh and the gameplay got boring after a while. Having only 4 civs didn't help either.

12. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

I agree with Tal. Older games were the best. They had a way to create a story that would keep you hooked to the game, just to see what was coming next.

My two cents:

Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, graphic adventure for the PC, from Lucas Arts.

- Pros - good story, funny dialogues and it feels like a movie. Great re-playability, as you could choose between playing using your brain or your muscles. And you've got Indy!
    - Cons - The whip is not used too much :(

Hexen from ID Software, I think. This FPS was my first inmersion in medieval fantasy, and what an experience it was!

- Pros - Brilliant surroundings and ambient sound. Three clases to choose from (Warrior, Cleric and Mage) with different abilities. Huge levels with lots of puzzles.
    - Cons - No real story. Not a great selection of monsters.

Any of the Thief games.

- Pros: Brilliant atmosphere, excellent sound effects, and a good story. Garrett is the only FPS character that has been given a personality. Different ways to accomplish your goals.
    - Cons: Getting in and out of windows is a pain.

13. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

Agree with:

Age of Empires II: Age of Kings and Age of Conquerors
    I dont get how you guys can nominate both AoK and AoC. Everyone I know has them both together. You cant play AoC without having AoK and AoK simply does not match up to AoCs versatality.

Rise Of Nations
    The game where I first saw cavalry morph into tanks. Brought AoE to 1960s.

Command & Conquer: Red Alert II
    I dont know about C&C:RA I but this was the first RTS I played with tanks. And I loved it.

Baldur's Gate II: SoA
    Oh yeah!

Diablo I
    Say what you will. This click-fest was very entertaining. For the first time (in these dark woods we call India) a game where your charecter actually became stronger, instead of just getting bigger weapons.

Half-Life
    The ultimate FPS yet. Can be real scary too. Non-stop action, helpful allies and some really stupid US Army soldiers make this a great game.
    I still dont understand how a scientist from MIT can out-aim and out-shoot US soldiers though.

Unreal Tournament
    The ultimate shoot-em-up arena game. It only got better with with each iteration. The last I played was UT2000. But my vote goes to the whole damn series.

Warcraft III
    Great story. I have the expansion too, but haven't played it yet.

Recommend:

IceWind Dale: Heart of Winter
    OK. How the hell is this game not on the list already. We all enjoyed it (specially after IWD II came out). And we are making a list of 100 games. It should rank somewhere in that list.

Quake II
    This was the first FPS with a large game map with several levels, decent graphics and atleast a sorry excuse for a story. And when the boss came for your ass, your brain actually had to do some work.

Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
    You get rewarded for beating up people. Innocent ones at that. Punch, stab, slash, shoot, run over, bomb or simply whack the poor sods. How can you not like such a game? The chicks in bikinis get the vote too.

Worms
    Cute little hapless larvae. Throwing laser guided missles at each other. Ultimate fun.

Disagree with:

Diablo II
    Not a patch on the original. The claustrophobia and terror of the originals dungeons were lost, along with whatever story there was. Heck, it even looked bad.

Championship Manager
    That game sucked soo bad. My brother had the one where even Wayne Rooney is mentioned, so I guess it was one of the latest versions. Really boring. I see no reason why anyone will want to inflict such pain on themselves. And mind you, I played about 2 months gametime.

Max Payne II
    Slow-mo rocked. But maybe not really top 100 material.

Doom
    Unless you are talking of the latest Doom3 which I have not played. The ones before had simply too terrible graphics to be nominated so far high.

14. Wordplay Gems: 29/31

Here are some good games I can remember at the moment.

Viewtiful Joe - NGC
    Hectic. Action. As a minus side, it's really difficult when the enemies seem to be immune to everything 75% of time.

Baldur's Gate II : SoA - PC
    Naturally. It's one of the best RPG-games there are. ToB is just a hasty add-on they made and shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence with this one. :p

Super Mario Sunshine - NGC
    It's sugar-coated, yes, but it has some really well designed places and challenges without being (too) frustrating. If 'N' just weren't a kiddy-kiddy company...

Half-Life - PC
    The classic FPS with several mods to boot. Great situations, great design, and a touch of story -which should had been a handful, if you ask me.

Thief II: The Metal Age - PC
    Really loved the character consepts and the story: still wishing Victoria and Gareth would had ended together... But for gods sake, STAY AWAY from that bastard child #3. :nolike:

The Sims 2 - PC
    A lot could had been better, but nevertheless it is a very good game and chomps hours from your schelude.

Diablo 2 - PC
    Nice game when played alone, great game with a bit of teamplay. Outdated by now, so hope they make a sequel soon.

Might & Magic 7 - PC
    Personally, I enjoyed of this RPG game. It's just a shame that it's so outdated by now. Worth a try, nevertheless.

NES/SNES/N64 game collection - Bundle
    Really, every gamer should have such series as Super Mario, Zelda, Megaman, Donkey Kong, Metroid, Breath of Fire, Solar Jetman, Bubble Bobble, and Double Dragon in their collection. They represent some of the best jewels of creativity.

Metroid Prime - NGC
    Has lost the "dark" feeling we had in Super Metroid, replaced with shiny explosions kids love ('N' is a kiddy company, remember?) But yet again the design is just marvelous.

Final Fantasy 7 - PSX
    Beside FF6, the only FF worth playing and storing for later days.

MDK 2 - PC
    Strange humour, but some of the situations are quite... memorable. Getting stuck can spoil the experience though, as I never got past one, particular problem...

I'm against of...
    ...Age of Empires I. The sequel is a lot better in all aspects, so why should the first part be even mentioned?
    ...Baldur's Gate. Again the sequel beats it in all aspects and the AI is outright stupid in #1. :nolike:
    ...Dune II. It's only natural to set C&C vs. Dune, and unfortunately Dune does not stand against it in any way. It's not even that memorable.

[ November 08, 2004, 19:21: Message edited by: Wirhe ]

15. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG]
    When they were released, the graphics were state of the art.

That's very much a matter of personal opinion and has been discussed on the boards often. As far as I'm concerned, BG2 is a frantic munchkin-trail overloaded with quests from all directions; a game that doesn't let the party breathe or do anything on their own apart from going from one quest to another, from A to B to C etc. at a frantic pace. It becomes such a ridiculous monty haul even before ToB that it's not even funny.

The original BG, on the other hand, gives the player much more freedom and offers a feeling of adventuring much more resembling the real pen & paper experience.

16. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Probably because the original has been out longer so more people have played it 'all the way through' therefore qualifying them to comment in this thread. I haven't played all of the AoE sequels and expansions so can't vote for them but I have played AoE until the cows come home.

And - how come Joacquin (aka Mr Civilization) hasn't voted for all of the Civs yet?

17. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Deus Ex - PC FPS
    Pros - A rare gem in FPS genre. Intense story plot with layers of conspiracies. No one, while playing it, knows what is will be the outcome of the game until late. There are actually choices presented throughout the game. To enter a base, one can go through front door, through side door, through bribing the janitor, through vents, or even through hacking another console far away and get the need information without even entering the base. Complimenting the playing style is the character development, for an FPS! The choice is all on the player.

No one lives forever 2 - PC FPS
    A heroine FPS with, again, chracter development. Why does one play pc game? You can easily find the answer if you go through, in detail, the conversations, the gesture, the background and the little things and makes you laugh for days.

Tomb Raider - PC, mild porn
    t***s and thong (i can't resist, the joke of course)

[ November 08, 2004, 23:46: Message edited by: teekc ]

18. Rednik Gems: 21/31

I agree with Tal, BG1 is far superior to the sequel, it gives a sense of real adventure, and the party doesn't suffer the constraints of finding Imoen and whatnot, and doesn't just randomly teleport from place to place. To quote Tal, it mirrors the PnP experience.

Against:
    Sims 2-Lacking so much content on purpose for future expansions is just lame.

Max Payne 2-Story was sappy, gameplay was crappy.

19. Wordplay Gems: 29/31

About the feeling of adventuring, I agree; it was fun to FINALLY find that short sword +1 and thus feel like an age old adventurer. :shake:

But on the other hand poor AI, a lot of meaningless wandering, and a bit too simple AD&D rules/spells have taken their toll.

20. Rednik Gems: 21/31

Well, I think it's great to finally find a magic weapon, they are rare you know?

I mean, BG2 had a friggin magic weapon in the first room of the first dungeon, and then followed by several more in that very same dungeon. Magic weapons feel merely mundane if they are everywhere, even just lying in barrels in the Docks district. When you finally get a magic weapon in BG, you feel as if you earned it, usually my mainstay is Varscona from Greywolf. There are a variety of weapons in BG2, however, their sole purpose is to constantly replace the slightly weaker weapon that came before it.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.