1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Toilet water cleaner than ice in fast food restaurants

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by chevalier, Feb 16, 2006.

1. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Just a sample...

From here: http://www.tampabays10.com/news/news.aspx?storyid=25442

Enjoy! :p

2. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I'm not surprised. Toilets are (hopefully) cleaned regularly. How often is an ice machine cleaned? Water/ice will, over time accumulate dirt and related bacteria. But if you flush a toilet, and immediately take a water sample, any bacteria in the toilet wouldn't have had much opportunity to contaminate the otherwise-fresh water, so test results should be pretty good.

Not that I’m going to start drinking out of the toilet.

3. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Meh. The ice is just filler anyway, so if I'm filling up the cup (most fast food places I've been to have you do it yourself if you're actually in there) I don't put any ice in there to take up soda volume. :p

4. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I'm not actually all that surprised, either, for much the same reasons as Splunge suggested.

I'd also be very interested to see her methodology, too, as far as the analysis.

5. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    I'm going to hop on the "not surprised" bandwagon. Go work at a minimum wage food joint for a few weeks to find out why that is ;)

6. chevalier

Media:
    Well, yeah, if you take samples just after flushing, you're going to catch the water from the pipe. Pre-flushing ( :p ) would be better for it. Not like I can assess how much. :p

7. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

This is a truly disgusting topic - -however, it got me to thinking -- what about the refrigerators that have a water spout so you can get fresh water? How often do THEY get cleaned? But as someone mentioned earlier, I'm still not going to start drinking out of the toilet bowl.

8. chevalier

Media:
    Well, according to one survey I've heard of, keyboards hold more bacteria than toilet seats. :evil:

9. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Recent survey showed that shopping trolleys hold the MOST bacteria of any commonly touched item with the mouses (mice?) at internet cafes coming in second.

She'd need to flush the toilet, what if somebody left a great big stinker and was rude enough to not flush after himself?

10. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    While we're on the subject, your toilet is also cleaner than your kitchen sink, unless you're vegan.

11. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    A challenge for chev:

Take 2 samples – 1 before flushing, and 1 after. Drink 1st sample; if survive (sub-optimal result :p ), drink 2nd. If survive again (tragically sub-optimal :p ), report back to SP. Repeat until optimal results achieved.

:p :p

12. Susipaisti

Susipaisti Maybe if I just sleep... Veteran

...Unless you have the kind of bowels that you spray your stuff all over the porcelain, and are too lazy to brush it all the time. Hooray for skidmarks.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.