1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Today's Gaming Generation

Discussion in 'Playground' started by War Nerve, May 3, 2005.

1. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Yeah: "That's totally fuscking awesome, dude!" (TTFA.) :p

2. War Nerve

War Nerve And it took me back to something that I'd lost

Ah, but that's what I'm talking about; the extremity of the quote. ;) "That's totally f-ing awesome, dude!", while being distasteful, is still not exactly an assault on religion. By my interpretation (although I realize both quotes are practically the same to many), I consider "OMFG" to be much, much worse.

3. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I still don't see how 1337 skillzorz means elite skills. It's quicker to just type 'elite skills'. I thought a 21st century version of elite skills would be to get rid of the vowels "lt skls" or something.

"OMFG" is just annoying.

4. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I get the impression that it had nothing to do with ease of use but was more a secret language. A sort of Internet Pig Latin.

Thank you, Tal. I don't waste my time on sites filled with 1337 and certainly wouldn't contribute to them.

5. Jesper898 Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

h4h4H4, B3hOlD mY L337 5k1Ll5, nO0Bs.
    1 W1lL pWn j00.
    :flaming:

But anyways, the so-called "r0xx0rs" suck.
    Especially in Star Wars Galaxies, where they are giving us roleplaying Jedi a bad reputation. (the developers made the path to Jedi mindless grinding, so must Jedi are r0xx0rs)

6. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

What the hell is a "roxxors"?!?!

7. War Nerve

War Nerve And it took me back to something that I'd lost

Jesper898 is referring to those who allegedly "rock", using the aforementioned "1337" speak.

8. Wordplay Gems: 29/31

Exactly. Every time you die it makes you even more annoyed and that's just the point: acting "l337" and screwing with you if you can't compete. I liked to repeat "kekeke" every now and then when I played NS because it brought to my mind a small monkey laughing at you. Kept me amused for a bit longer and if someone reacted: all the merrier. :grin:

9. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    :eek: This is freaking disturbing. How can someone think he is cool by using Leet?! The first time I saw this most evil '' way of communication '' I thought my explorer was having problem or I was visiting a foreing website with characters my computer couldn't handle. Unfortunatly I was wrong :(

Anyway I agree the mutiplayer scence has gone wild this is way I always avoid Multiplayer games.

PS: Leet is evil :mad:

10. Arendil Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Don't worry Ofelix, wikipedia says that this "parody of language" is becoming less and less popular. Personally I avoid all multiplayer games, so my first contact with l337 was today...

11. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Well I'll say I'm pretty much over and done with multiplayer games. Kids and grownups just can't play soccer on the same field. And whatever the real age of all those gamers is, or however sensible they might be in real life, while gaming they just about all deteriorate to the same pre-historic level.

Capslock mashers, leet spammers, whiners and trolls. That's what they're all filled with. And my greatest nuisance: admins. It seems admins get to be admins because they spend a whole lot of time on the game and the people. And who else can put so much time into it all than a brat?

I had a pause of some 6 months or so of all multiplayer games save WoW which I quit a little over 1 month back. When I went back to BF1942 (Desert Combat / Forgotten Hope) some 2 weeks ago, I've since gotten banned once and kicked some 3 times. Never did I say anything to earn it. All you need to do is talk back to someone whose friend is an admin (used the word "damn" once, while the other one was swearing through the full range of genital body-part decriptions etc... then I got banned for swearing while the other one remained on the server, saw from flatmate's computer), piss off an admin by killing them too many times, or do good at a game you play too seldom so you get blamed for fakenicking.

The bottomline really is this: I never liked the morons back in school. I had my friends of course, but most of the people were typically ignorant and evil brats. Now, being 23 years of age, I've learned that I always belonged to the grownup social world. I get along with people much better now than I ever have before. Multiplayer games on the other hand put me back into school. With all the 10-yearolds running around screaming and crying and whining, and oppressing and bullying everyone who doesn't belong, out of a whim.

I believe that since more and more kids are getting computers, they use the freedom and anonymity of the net to vent off all their puberty-given frustrations. Because of their increasing numbers, and the common need of humans to try and blend in to the group, even the weak-minded grownups who don't realise they're dealing with children are adopting the same behaviour as normal. So the result is what you see today. And it's only going to get worse.

What these games need is some daddy's belt, so to speak. Admins that are objective, and rules that are strict. Teamkilling, mindless moaning and whining and cussing, generally retarded behaviour and cheating should all be eventually rewarded with PERMANENT bans. With all players having their unique CD-keys anyway, it wouldn't bee too hard. Just warn first, then ban for a few days, then a few weeks, and the third would be permanently. That would certainly fix the problem. Too bad it isn't going to happen. We all know what this is about: money. And there's no way those companies are going to volountarily put a lid on that endless well of income. Too bad with the modern sloppy parents and piratism, there's no way that problem will be solved on the other end either.

So singleplayer games it is. Not a bad choice though, they're the ones that actually have a plot anyway. Besides when this problem gets bad enough, some small companies and groups will flourish even more than they do now for offering games to the minorities who just don't get what they want from the mass-products.

12. Wordplay Gems: 29/31

@ Foradasthar

What can you do? There are millions of others and thus admins/mods/etc cannot bugger to care for one particular person -much easier just do it as a routine kick/ban/warning/whatever. Like there are bad players, there are also bad servers and admins. But I'm sure that after a while you find those good ones. After all, there aren't only millions of users, but thousands of servers.

Screw that particular one if no one cares to keep the playing quality up. ;)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.