1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

To save the US economy - Republicans turn to a tribunus plebis??!

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Ragusa, Sep 21, 2008.

1. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

This is pretty much what every economist would prefer to see. That is a contracyclical system which would minimize the risk of overheating the economy. However it's very difficult to control credit markets or investments without seriously risking a lot of competitiveness and growth. In my opinion these cycles are basically unavoidable without serious regulation (and we're talking about planned economy kind of regulation here) which in the end would probably end up costing more in growth than the problem it's trying to fix.

2. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

I'm going to take that one step further to suggest that the pressure to live beyond your means that credit enables is where the real trouble begins. The idea that you can run a balance on credit cards and still maintain a few luxuries is what takes it's toll. When a crisis hits, like a medical emergency, job loss or simply the supply of credit reaching it's limit, default is inevitable. And when these defaults become more and more common, financial institutions that lent the money start to suffer for it, which is why they are begging for the monstrous bail out. Until the dependance on people living beyond their income, and prices come down to the point where people can afford the important things (like food, shelter, utilities) and maintain a degree of savings and disposable income, the economy will not improve.

3. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    T2: you've definitely proven that the decisions were at least arguable, I'll give you that. I also agree with you that coming up with a fair and equitable means of providing a few more checks on the supreme court would be helpful, as long as the courts are still somewhat insulated from fallout when they need to hear a controversial case or make a controversial decision.

4. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    From my perspective one of hte biggest problems with the supreme court is that it's members are appointed by the president and sit for life. This ensures that the court is staffed by very political members and with no way to replace them. I can't come up with a different system but for a body that is supposed to focus solely on the law and to disregard political feelings having the members appointed based on their political views seems a bit counterproductive.

5. martaug Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

NOG, using fiat currency is how you get the super inflationary results like when the ussr was having problems in the '80s(and any other country having similar problems).
    The money is backed by nothing except the governement saying you HAVE to except it.
    They are not promising to honour/garuantee it's value at all.
    On a gold standard you know that X amount of dollars is worth Y amount of gold, whereas on a fiat system X amount of dollars is worth whatever the government wants to give you on that day.

An example:
    $1 = 1 chicken
    10 rubles = 1 chicken
    $1 = 10 rubles
    The ruble gets devalued to half of its current worth
    Now it takes you 20 rubles to buy the same chicken, in simple terms your money has been cut in half.
    The reason the countries went off the gold standard was to pay for the expenses incurred during WW1 & WW2.
    At the time it was assumed that they would go back onto the gold standard as soon as the debts were payed off however this did not happen as governments saw how much easier it was without having to be confined to only as much money as they could actually back with gold.

6. Morgoroth

In a global economy a gold standard would work very stiffly and plain out badly. What will you do with your currency if China decides it wants to change its currency reserves (which constitutes of mainly dollars) to gold? This is basically something the French did to sabotage the Bretton Woods system back in the 60'ies. The Chinese would have more than enough of currency reserves to take the entire system down very easily. Also the current volatility of gold prices would make the currency quite unstable.

7. martaug Gems: 23/31

8. Morgoroth

I know what the gold standard is about and I also know the risks of a gold standard. You are of course entitled to your opinion about it and I certainly can't say with absolute certitude that the gold standard is a bad thing, I however can point out that most economists will agree with me on that it's probably not very efficent today. I'm also not talking about the gold reserves of other countries I'm talking about their dollar reserves, which in case of China are quite significant.

EDIT:

Just in case this was meant to answer to the volatility of gold, the price will eventually be determined by the markets not by some regulation of 1971.

9. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    Martaug, I understand what a gold standard was, but I don't see why it would cause people to stop saving money and start borrowing it. It's a question of living beyond your means or not, one of principles of living, not one of confidence in the value of your money.

10. martaug Gems: 23/31

NOG, it's not about stopping people it's about stopping the government from just printing more when they need it. It forces the government to live within their means, or raise taxes which has a self correcting force every 2,4 & 6 years.:)

11. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Yes, I'd love to see the government pay for the Iraq War on the "gold standard." But it's not really about the government - it's about a modern day economy, not like in 1900. Things do change - hard to believe, but it happens.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2008
  12. NOG (No Other Gods)

Media:
    But Martaug, the primary problem here isn't the US doing it, it's the corporate sector (and individuals). Yes, the gov't has done it to, but the gov't running out of money didn't cause this crisis.

13. martaug Gems: 23/31

No, the main cause was VERY unwise decisions by our defacto aristocracy in the federal government. Most of them have been there so long & in some cases been unopposed in several reelections that they feel they can do no wrong. 2 Terms per office should be sufficent for anyone, that still allows up to 32 years of governmantal service(4 as a representative, 12 as a senator & 8 each as a vice president & president)

14. NOG (No Other Gods)

Media:
    I agree on that, but I don't see how the gov't using a gold standard would have changed anything.

15. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Only tangentially related to the topic, but too amusing not to share

16. Chandos the Red

Media:
    AM - That's great stuff. It made my morning. :)

17. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Some stuff to read:

A.I.G. Has Used Billions From the Fed but Hasn’t Said for What
    Consumers Feel the Next Crisis: It’s Credit Cards
    Morgan Stanley's Bonuses Get Saved By You and Me

18. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

The Economy has been built to rely on people that live beyond their means. I have no sympathy for those that go to extremes to facilitate this. Whie I recognize their right to some interest on their capital, how much is too much? And if they set the payments such that the interest is oppressive, then they are not recovering enough of their principle, and that's what goes down the tubes when the poor sap they have on the hook has to declare bankrupcy. I just don't see that as a sound business model...

19. Chandos the Red

Media:
    Do you have any evidence to support that? While it is true that consumer spending has been the largest part of the economy in recent years, I have not seen anything to suggest that most people are not paying their bills. While credit defaults are up, I would like to see the evidence that "the economy is built" on what you claim.

20. Morgoroth

Chandos, you might want to check out the current account of US and see if the country is spending beyond its means. The deficit of last year stands at 700 billion dollars.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.