1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

To live forever

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Khelben, Apr 12, 2003.

1. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Only certain religions claim that there even is such a thing as a soul. I'd say that it hardly makes enough for one to actually call it an official "form" of sorts. Then again, I might have to draw back my words in terms of mutual understanding for actually having based so much on science earlier in this thread.

2. The Soul Forever Seeking Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Sorry. The Highlander theme song just instantly popped into my head.

Anyway, I figure if I had all of eternity, a good deal of it would be spent reading. Think about it. I realized this when I entered a very large library. If I were to dedicate the rest of my life to just reading the books that were in the library at that moment, let alone the books that would be published after that, I wouldn't be anywhere near being done when they lowered me into the ground.

Even considering that the bottom floor was children's books, and the top floor was a massive computer lab.

What exactly would you do with eternity? Other than read, I'd master at least five musical instruments. Hell, picture doing nothing but piano for a thousand years.

3. Mithrantir Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

@ Foradasthar
    IMHO all religions in the world believe in the immortality of the soul since the wellfare of the life after death is their most catching ad. Isn't it;
    As for immortality of us as human beings is a rather difficult issue not only for the immortal but also and for the people around him.
    Let's take an example: i am an immortal this means that i have a permanent age not affected by diseases not addicted to anything etc. This now goes in two ways. I still am the same person as now but the friends and family i have start to envy me and in the end isolate me because of these cool features i posess and because they see me deep down as an allien to them since i don't have the same everyday problems i have. The conclusion is that due to this allienation i will pretty soon think myself damned and trying to find a way to die in other words aliving hell for me.
    The other way is that i decide to use these features for my own benefit and do the most logical thing a villain would do take over the world and estamblish an empire that would indeed stand in the test of time since i'm an immortal but since the mankind is not willing to have an emperor over their heads they would most definitelly try to overthrow me which means that this would be a living hell to the world.
    These two ways to be followed are not very optimistic and personally i would love to be an immortal and travel through space in a f****** cool spaceship alone (ok with an immortal and very very very beautifull woman). :D

4. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Well it's not a matter of opinion when it comes to what religions around the world claim about a human soul and its immortality. There are religions that don't place any soul on a human at all. And then there are religions that simply think the "soul" of a human is nothing more than construction parts of some greater essense which is gathered back when the human dies, and all information and personality that was in the "soul" is lost. I'll freely admit though, that I've no idea of the names of such religions. But they're there.

As for those two possible choises for an immortal you gave, that goes a bit too black&white. There isn't enough time in mere one lifetime of a normal human for an immortal to get spoiled and "evil". Just as not nearly every human is so weak and shallow mentally that they would abandon their closest friend and/or family member simply because they felt envy or fear towards his immortality. Much of it is up to you, as the immortal, what would happen. Certainly I believe that it would be fairly easy to lead a fairly normal life even. Only there is a limit to how long relationships you can have. And probably a limit to how many relationships you can have before you are unable to make any more commitments.. assuming you're a person with any amount of conscience.

5. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Or in other words, you need approx. 15 years of theological studies (university, not just bible babbling) to roughly know what "trinity" is.

Dam you holy spirit.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.