1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Tit-for-tat reputation

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by NOG (No Other Gods), Jun 11, 2010.

?

Is 'retribution' reputation justifiable?

1. Yes

3 vote(s)
    9.1%
  2. No

21 vote(s)
    63.6%
  3. Depends on the situation

9 vote(s)
    27.3%
  1. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

About disabling the rep system. While it technically works since your rep won't show in practice people can still give you rep, and while I went a while having it disabled the curiosity got me and I checked it see what kind of comments I had gotten. So while I for that reason keep the system on I'd still prefer it to not exist all or disabling the system also meaning that people could not give me good or bad rep. Now disabling it feels like sweeping it under the carpet, while invisible it's still there.

2. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    I think it all depends. If someone gives you NR because they think that you're being nasty or insensitive then you have no right to complain. You should have thought about what you were writing. However, if it's just a case of 'my opinion is right, you are wrong' then maybe you should retaliate in kind.

I dunno, I'm far to sober for this!

3. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    I see two common trends here so far, and it's interesting:

1.) The number of people who think Rep should be disabled in the first place.

While I agree with those that say the Rep system appears to have turned into a 'like you/dislike you' system, I don't think it needs to be that way. I know we all have our own standards, some sign, others don't, and that there are no rules for it, but I think Rep could be used well, based on the quality of the post (logic and contribution to the discussion), not on whether you agree with them or not. I've given negative rep to people I've agreed with, and positive to people I've disagree with, based on their arguements being terrible or great, respectively, so I don't think it should be disabled, though I do understand why they'd argue it should be.

2.) The number of people who think I posted to complain.

I didn't. I really didn't. I post mostly in the Alleys, and have both given and recieved a good bit of negative rep. And positive, too. Mostly, I think it's for good, or at least acceptable, reasons, but these struck me oddly, and it raised a question. Not an important one, mind you, but one anyway. I originally posted this in Whatnots (though I see it's been moved, sorry) for a reason: it was an idle curiosity, and nothing more.

4. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I don't give negative rep, I openly mock (in a sorta jovial way). I see no point in privately telling someone I think they did something wrong or bad. (This, of course, is completely distinct from acting as a mod, in which case I PM people about things like that as often as is necessary.)

I commented somewhere that I give positive rep to what I consider a really valid and well written post or to something that makes me laugh.

Except for Splunge -- he needs a constant diet of negative rep for obvious reasons.

5. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Vengeance is my middle name... all is fair in love and war, and if the other party deserves it, yes, without a twinge of guilt.

6. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    So, which do you consider the forums? Love or war?

7. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Things are going to get slippery real fast if you want me to answer that. I'll say this... this place has good (and great) sides, but I'll openly say I have some gripes, too.

8. Old One

Old One The Old Warrior ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

I can well see giving rep as a thumbs up for a good or honest post, can't see any reason for neg points. If a person doesn't like a post either rebut it or read on. Neg for neg seems a bit childish, sort of like "he hit me first so I hit him back" Quote from my 9 yr old grandaughter bye the way.

Death Rabbit likes this.
  9. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Well, I can't argue with that. :D

10. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I just noticed this thread, and a tit for tat reputation behaviour is dumb, IMHO. I have given out negative reps before when people's comments were, IMHO, beyound the pale of a rational discussion. It's one thing to disagree -- vehemently -- with someone's position on here. It's another thing to go out of your way to be as offensive and ignorant as possible.

I'll admit, I don't like getting ANY rep when I don't know who it's from. It's nice to get a positive rep saying LMFAO! but I'd like to know who the unfortunate sod is who's missing his ass due to my post.

One of these days I'm gonna figure out how to get a payapal account and then I can actually contribute to this place and obtain the SUPREME ULTIMATE POWER of being a real live member as opposed to a lurking fool.

11. Triactus

Triactus United we stand, divided we fall Veteran

Media:
    I've never given bad rep, I don't believe in it. Like with what most people say, instead of bad rep, a good idea would be to discuss the post to better understand it or debate it (I did get bad rep for a post that was not understood. And while yes I had drank a little bit, it was true it made little sense and thus the bad rep was a little merited, I would have prefered a PM asking what I meant). Unless a post is so stupid or so mean that it makes you angry, but then again, the mods are there for a reason.

As for rep for rep, I think DR pretty much summed it up with his monkey bar analogy... :)

12. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG]
    You don't need a PayPal account to donate, just a credit card - it's quick and painless. Actually, you don't even need a credit card, many donations have come in via snail mail or bank account transfer. Just PM me if you don't have a credit card and would still like to donate, it's quite doable.

13. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I'm curious as to how many people don't post on topics because they are concerned about the reputation hit on controversial issues. I know I've refrained from hitting the "post" button at least a couple of times because of it.

14. Triactus

Triactus United we stand, divided we fall Veteran

Media:
    That never crossed my mind when I want to post somewhere. I've been involved in big arguments in the past and I never got bad rep for it.

To know if I'll post or not on a particular topic, the only thing I look at is the number of posts in the thread. I won't read 5 pages of posts just to catch up... :) (btw, I find it annoying people who start posting on page 7 and start with "there were too many pages to read" and end up saying stuff that was already adressed before...)

15. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    I think ostracism would be a greater concern, as it occurs in even the most self-congratulatory forward-thinking social circles, and seemingly by some bizarre form of group-osmosis. Identify the outsider and push him or her out! (-through public ridicule, broadly generalized dismissal of one's ideas or values, etc., and then open disregard.) Just don't mention the thing itself and you'll be safe. And others will jump on board for fear of getting the same treatment. ;)

A rep system where only the receiver sees what reps s/he gets is by comparison much less threatening, imo.

16. Loreseeker

Loreseeker A believer in knowledge Veteran

Media:
    I've never given negative rep, nor received it. I don't have any intention of ever using it. Giving negative rep because you received it is... immature at best and petty/malicious/laughable/pointless in other cases.

As for not posting in high-debate threads (mostly unrelated, probably boring):

I have to say that I've refrained from posting on a few occasions in heated debate threads (and in general, don't go into the Alleys) but reputation system never featured as a reason.

I love debating, but I couldn't handle the Alleys and I know it. :)

(To post there, I'd feel obliged to gauge and carefully pick every phrase and not leave room for misunderstanding, or misinterpretations. Sloppy arguments are useless. However, making such posts is tiring on a high-profile debate level. (not to mention taking these precautions even in other BoM sections gives mostly boring posts with too many words)

Even when (once in a blue moon) I do put a post in an Alleys thread, I tend to regret it instantly (although I have to say people have been nothing but nice to me and the regret is mostly subjective "Aaaa, must run away" feeling).

In general, I have a bad way of framing things in an argument I feel strongly about (coming across childish/looking for a fight/defensive, I've been told, without really wanting to) and a strong urge to run away if I'm debating rationally and someone reacts in a hostile manner... and I take some attacks personally.

Opinions in the Alleys tend to get shredded by opposing sides, at times with little regard to context / nitpicking details.
    I find such an alteration highly unpleasant (intimidating even) and don't want to get caught in one. I'm too thick skulled to walk away in time and not wise enough to keep my temper/tongue in check. Plus I know you can't reason with emotion and I've been in enough RL arguments to know I fare best when not talking.

Not to mention that plenty of times, while reading the threads, I see that my initial opinion was too rash/singlesided/enthusiastic/naive and I am glad I didn't post it, because people would just laugh over it (at best).
    Good arguments let me form a better, more informed opinion*.
    (without risking that the change will be spelled out to me with full blown sarcasm or something :p )

(*Except on USA politics - those threads I just skip :p)

17. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    Just gave out a bad rep point for the first time. Really annoyed about it too. I just hate it when people randomly insult my country and its history.

Guess one should never say never... :nolike:

18. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Cara - You have to do what you have to do. Personally, I'm an admirer of your country. Americans claim that they desire, and above all, admire independence in just about everything. Yet when France acts independently, and the French think for themselves, some in the US carp about it endlessly. Go Figure.

19. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Cara, are you going to give a neg rep to comedians, sports casters and the producers of "Flushed Away", too?

20. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    I have no idea what that is, unless it's the Tidy Bowl Man. :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.