1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Tips for Cloakwood and Mines?

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Otis, Apr 6, 2011.

1. Otis Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

So I've been playing a strict no reload game, on one notch higher than core difficulty, with the extra restrictions that "dead means dead" (no raising) and spells can't be bought. I find the extra challenge to be enjoyable, but this particular game has been a total slaughter to the NPCs:

Imoen - random encounter bandit volley en route to Friendly Arm Inn
    Xzar and Montaron - lost to Khalid and Jaheira when a fight broke out literally within moments of the Harpers joining the group
    Kagain - lucky volley by kobolds in Nashkel Mines
    Kivan - bandit ambush (his first encounter) on way back to mines after picking him up
    Jaheira - Tranzig got off one last magic missile
    Branwen - crushed by Ardenor Crush
    Ajantis - one-shot by Taugosz Khosann
    Khalid - opening trapped chest in Tazok's tent; forgot it was lightning bolt so didn't think of potion of absorption
    Garrick, Viconia, Xan - lightning bolt from Hareishan in a narrow corridor
    Yeslick - Mine guards (30 seconds after joining group)
    Eldoth - killed by a combination of bad pathfinding and a bear that appeared the moment he joined the group
    Shar-Teel - one-shotted by flesh golem in Black Alaric's cave

Right now it's Charname, Minsc, Dynaheir, and Safana. I'll be going to pick up Faldorn before continuing with the Mines. Maybe Coran if I feel like the party can survive a wyvern encounter.

At any rate, it seems pretty unlikely I'll make it to the end, but does anyone have any tips on how to build a team out of what's left to choose from? Is it possible to get Skie with Eldoth dead?

2. Sparky The Barbarian Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

What class is your PC? You have a good basic party with the folks you have now, minus a cleric. Viconia or Faldorn can fill that void for now and you can get Yeslick in the mines. Try to keep Safana alive until you get to BG to recruit Alora (can't get Skie without Eldoth). Disarming Traps is a priority in Cloakwood and The Mines. Good Luck, You're going to need it.

3. Midget Gems Gems: 2/31

I like your idea, that is my kind of game. Adding some restrictions makes the game a lot more fun when you are replaying.

Maybe you will be playing solo soon......

4. Darion

Darion Resident Dissident Veteran BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Wow, pretty hard-core. I too play like this form time to time ( not seriously, just for the fun)...but I never omitted Rising!

That's just a bit too hard-core! The enemies will keep coming in waves.

At least Rise Immy for the sake of it!

5. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Deathmage did this a while ago, he called it his Iron Man game. I always meant to give it a go, never got around to it.

6. gunman Gems: 2/31

Since raising dead is part of the game universe, I make use of it even when playing iron man games. But if you want to be more restrictive, more logically would be only to raise dead in the situation when the body could be recovered safely. Therefor, if someone dies in combat, raising would only be possible if the battle was won by the party and all enemies involved in the combat have been slaughtered. But if the party flees the combat, there is no way they could do so with the bodies of fallen comrades, which in this case are lost forever.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.