1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Tips for a Char (Oblivion PC)

Discussion in 'The Elder Scrolls 1-4' started by Ofelix, Jan 15, 2007.

1. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    Yeah chatting in FAI gave me an idea. I'd like to create OoTS' Vaarsivius in the game. However I've no idea at all about his skill or even it's gender. :lol:

I think a High Elf with Destruction would do the tric, but what about the rest?

2. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Assuming the skills are about the same as its predecessor, I'd say...

-Unarmored (always wearing a robe for similarity, even if all you can find is an unenchanted one)
    -Destruction
    -Alteration
    -Illusion
    -Mysticism
    -Enchant
    -Speechcraft (s/he does tend to drone on)
    -Mercantile (rememeber the bit in the potion shop? :lol: )
    -Athletics (Expeditious Retreat!)

For the last slot, I'm not sure. Conjuration is V's barred school, Restoration is Durkon's area, and V wouldn't need to buy all those potions if s/he had Alchemy. Weapon skills seem anti-thetical to V's nature, as does any armor. That leaves us with four "Stealth Arts": Security and Sneak are Haley's forte, and V doesn't seem like a jumper, so I guess we're left with Hand-to-Hand for desperate situations when your Magicka runs out.

3. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Hand-to-Hand sounds good to me.

4. The Magister Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Felinoid@: There is no Unarmored skill in Oblivion.

5. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Really? I wish that unarmed actually damaged opponents in Morrowind, especially if you are using a kajit (who has claws).

6. Felinoid

So there's no way to raise your AR without armor in Oblivion? (Yeah, that sounds like a silly question given that AR stands for *Armor* Rating, but still...) Are there no monks anymore?
    *coughBloodmooncoughwerewolfcough* Though yeah, it would be more realistic if Khajiit and Argonians did a bit of damage with their claws. Then again, this is a game where lizards have breasts. :nuts:

7. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    Fel; that's seem a mighty build indeed. But since Unarmored is out of the question two skills remains to be set. And THE question; Male or Female?

8. Felinoid

Well, what else did they put in the magic area? Or did they not replace it?
    With the odds and opinions both going about 50/50 on that, I'd look at other options. One train of thought on the OotS forums is that V is a powergamer who simply didn't bother to pick a gender because it didn't matter. ("I didn't name any of my other class features!" - V talking about her familiar 'Blackwing') With that in mind, I say pick the gender with the better stats for your V...unless they changed that too between games.

Note: Personally, I think V's a girl for purely illogical reasons.

9. Faraaz Gems: 26/31

I think V's a guy...he mentioned being married and stuff...and the tone he used made me think he was a guy...

And @Felinoid: Shield spells work as Armor substitutes...don't they?

10. Felinoid

In D&D it's a substitute, but in Morrowind it was a supplement. Not quite sure how they did it in Oblivion, though.

11. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    When I played Oblivion I chose the skills so as to have one for each attribute. I would use them selectively and play so that I would get +5 on every level-up.

That compensated for the stronger monsters. While they were higher level too, they were no real match for a truly maxed out char.

12. Faraaz Gems: 26/31

In Oblivion, your AR is cappeda t 85, and Shield spells in Oblivion work as a direct substitute for armor. For instance, if Joe has a full plate of armor which gives him 50 AR, then 50% of damage that he takes is reduced...by the same measure, if he had a Shield spell for 50 points active, he would have 50% damage reduced.

Alteration and Shield spells are a full-fledged alternative to wearing armor for Mages, and I highly recommend it for this particular character.

The fact that some armor has REALLY nifty bonuses is a different point though... :heh:

13. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Don't forget robes. There are some nice robes in Oblivion, and a cowl...not sure if that is how Oblivion spells it.

14. The Magister Gems: 26/31

Media:
    I recomend shields of frost, fire and shock. They add to your armour class, give damage back to the attacker and are a common bonus provided by Sigil stones.
    Also of note is that anything enchanted using a Sigil stone is a permanently active bonus (Not counting weapons).

15. Faraaz Gems: 26/31

@The Magister: I'm afraid your a bit off the mark there...Frost/Fire/Shock Shields protect you from physical and (respective) elemental damage. They do NOT work like Mestil's Acid Sheath where the person attacking you takes damage as well...

That particular function is only got from Reflect Damage/Spell enchantments...

16. Chelsea Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Yeah I am pretty sure that Fire etc Shields do not reflect damage.

But how much protection do Shield spells give?
    1 armor point per %?
    If I enchanted a bunch of items so I had 100% Shield then how protected would I be? 100? 85? Less?

17. Balle Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

i recently enchanted some gear for my mage.

8% shield on self gives +8 defense to armor.
    so 1%=1 AR/or armor pint or whatever it is

18. Master Leo Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

fire shield is the same as shield spell + fire resistance, basically two spells in one

ie: fire shield 25% = shield 25% + fire resist 25%

shield % bonus is added directly to your armor rating (=% damage reduction), and stacks up to 85% which is the max

for a pure mage, i strongly recommend enchanting robes with either +24 magicka (with grand/black soul gems) or +50 magicka sigil stones

afterall it's the fat magicka pool that makes a good mage

19. Balle Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

i'd rather enchant light armor, elven maybe than ropes, pesonally i think their much better.. and with fortifu skill you can repair almost everything with 1 hammer

20. Master Leo Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

your spell effectiveness suffers if you wear armor so no thanks to that :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.