1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Thumbs up for Planescape: Torment (and mages)

Discussion in 'Planescape: Torment (Classic)' started by Big B, May 18, 2001.

1. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] I just got Planescape Torment and so far I am impressed. I had skipped reading the manual becuase I've been playing BG1 and BG2 lately, but I had to go back and read it becuase Planescape has it differences. So right now the Nameless One is a fighter but he has the potential to be a mage, thief, or priest right? Well I am aiming for a mage. My characters higher stats are Intelligence and Charisma. I've got Morte as a pal to help out with fighting. "What's up chief?"
    My main question is how I go about eventually becoming a mage. I've met a few people in Sigil who have offered to "train" me as a thief and a midwife in Ragpicker's Square how says she could teach me magic, but I think since she's a healer she is talking about priests. So I just need to keep my eyes open for someone willing to train in the magical arts?

2. Slappy Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Nope, the midwife will teach you to be a mage not a priest. I can't remember if anyone does actually offer to teach you to be a priest. The only one that might is (SPOILER) Fall from Grace when you eventually find her.

Also, remember to talk to all the people in the party fairly regularly. You can help them to become better at times and they can also help you improve. The way the party interacts to tell the story and improve stats is more involved than in any of the BG games (the downside being there are fewer NPCs as a result).

Anyway, glad to see you're enjoying. It has a lot of dedicated fans unfortunaltey not enough people bought it. So spread the word, tell everyone how great it is. :)

3. Big B Gems: 27/31

[​IMG] Awesome. My saved game is right outside of the midwife's hut. Yeah Fall-from-Grace sounds like a cool character I'm keeping my eyes open for her.

4. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

There's no way to become a priest. :(

Downside in PT? *scowl*

Slappy, lack of many party member NPCs I don't take as that, it just spares the time to find your perfect party combination. And you don't deal with idiots here like in BG.

5. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

That priest thing was as annoying as Baator. I put all my points into Wisdom for the XP bonus, and then half way through the game discovered there was no class with Wisdom as its prime requisite.

6. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Well high wisdom does give you XP bonuses, so it's worth pumping that stat up too even though it's not your prime one...

7. Big B Gems: 27/31

I'm now a mage and I've added Dak'kon to the party. So now some sparks can fly. Just the way I like it :D Now to get this Pharod guy...

8. Slappy Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Extremist - well it might be considered a downside in terms of replay potential. But I agree, I prefered the charcters to have much more depth and be tied into the story like they are in PT. I know all of the PT charcaters like I do characters in my favourite films & books. The BG & BG2 ones are nowhere near as good.

You also have a good point about not wastin time finding the right party combination - I hadn't thought about like that before. In fact looking back, putting a party togther (like you would in the other games) was never really an issue they just sort of joined the story line. The only party decision I had to make (I missed Vhailor - whatever) was to drop Ignus for Modron. As Ignus was pretty much insane that wasn't too difficult a choice.

9. Grovflab Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] The good point of PT is, that it dosn't have that extreme difficulty. Fall-from-grace kills about one enemy through the entire game. If this had been bg2, noone would ever consider taking her, but I've never heard the slightest complaint about her. Infact, the first time I played, I finished the game with only IMO, Morte, Annah, Da'kkon and Grace. This was mainly because I didn't know where to find the others, but I had no difficulties with completing the game.

10. NamelessOne Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] I'd definitely agree with in the case of PS:T LESS was definitely MORE in terms of characters. Everyone always harks on about how much they love Minsc in BG1/2 but compared to any of the characters in PS he's very two dimensional. Less characters mean more detail I guess. And although this meant you never had to juggle around with your party, it meant you got to know those with you much better. I've always thought the idea of dumping character's just 'cos you can only have 6 characters detracted from the atmosphere anyway. I know wandering about with 10 characters would be nigh on impossible to keep track of (and for the CPU to keep up to speed with) but couln't there be an option 4 the AI to guide any extra NPC's around with you?

As for character classes I reckon being able to train as priest would have unbalanced the gameplay as wisdom has a whole different set of connotations for the nameless one. Still I must ask, is there ever any point in being a thief? Surely Annah suffices?

11. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    If you have Annah in your party, being a thief is rather stupid since she can handle everything well enough. If I were playing a thief, I'd only do it so I could remove Annah from the party and try another NPC I usually don't take with me, like Grace or Vhailor.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.