1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Thread of Random Babbling, iteration 111

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by dmc, Feb 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I have heard that as "went to bed at two with a ten and woke up at ten with a two".

2. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I think you're right....

3. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    If T2 reaches 2,000 rep points, would that be one of the signs of the apocalypse? And if so, would giving him negative rep to ensure he doesn't get there guarantee admission to heaven?

T2Bruno likes this.
  4. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I think so Splunge, you should test your theory, just to be safe of course... :p

5. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Spammer :p

[notices join dates and waits for the inevitable "look who's talking"]

6. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG]
    Look who's talking! :shake:

7. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Jeez, and men say that women talk too much!

Just a small thing...can everyone on here tell the difference between the words 'off' and 'of'? So many people who email/facebook me get the two mixed up and it drives me insane!

8. Ziad

Media:
    Off = opposite of on

Of = has nothing to do with on or off :p

And yes, people have the annoying habit of mixing these up. And of writing your when they mean you're, and so on.

9. Caradhras

Media:
    The difference is mainly that 'of' is a preposition whereas 'off' can be an adverb, an adjective, a preposition and on few occasions a noun or a transitive verb.

-Of establishes a link between two words.

A pint of lager. A bag of crisps. It smells of urine. A lack of bladder control.

-Off establishes some sort of distance, something like away from.

Take it off. ->
    adverb
    This beer is off. ->
    adjective
    I'm off today. ->
    adjective
    Drinks must not be taken off the premises. ->
    preposition
    I'm off whisky. ->
    preposition.
    They're ready for the off. ->
    noun.
    To off someone. ->
    transitive verb.

Did I miss something?

10. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Nope, think you covered it all... smart arse :p

I can kind of understand people getting thier and there mixed up, but only just. There's no excuse for your and you're and DEFINATELY no excuse for of and off

11. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Some of the more common mix-ups:

It's: It is
    Its: Possessive of "It"

You're: You are
    Your: Possessive of "You"

They're: They are
    Their: Possessive of "They"
    There:
    • In, at or to a position (he was there)
    • At that point (And there he stopped)
    • In that respect (I agree with you there)
    • To indicate the fact or existence of something (There is a house in New Orleans)
    • and a few others...

12. Silvery

Media:
    I was taught to remember 'there' because it contains the word 'here' and is used in the context of 'over there' 'there he is' and 'I was there'

13. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I just learnt to spell :D

14. Blades of Vanatar

Ralph of the "Simpsons" talking to the superintendent of the school - "Hi Super-Nintendo Chalmers, I'm learnding!"

Disciple of The Watch likes this.
  15. Caradhras

Media:
    I don't get how people can confuse "their" and "there" as these are two entirely different animals (like say mistaking an elephant for a giraffe). That being said typos do happen.

16. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Speaking from a guy who's been forcefully raised in a French (French-Canadian, the worst of em all) culture (*shudders*), I can tell you that in this narrow-minded province of moronic jackasses, nobody gives muck of a flying <d>uck about proper English. Neither about proper French, either.

17. Ziad

Media:
    Yeah I always find these weird too. With it's and its you could blame it on forgetting the apostrophe or being too lazy to insert the apostrophe or whatever, but their and there are just too different. They're not even pronounced the same way (IIRC the first e is stressed more in there than in their).

The one that did confuse me for a while was then and than. But they're pretty easy to get right once you realise that than is only used when there's a comparison. But I guess people switch them more as a typo than from a lack of understanding about what each is for.

Did you mean "learned"?

:p

18. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    This is my 8.000th post! :p
    :D I guess that makes me a spammer extraordinaire :shake:

19. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    I don't know about spells but there's been some funny coincidences of me stating something which will be proven to have happened the next day by the papers...

Two of the weirdest are:
    1) I just happened to say that a specific person would be better off dead, the next day's headlines were about this person dying.
    2) I happened to remark that one company's really going down the drain as it should, the next day's headlines were about this company's dubious keeping of records...and that the company's most likely going, yes, down the drain...

20. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

This, I think, is a cause for celebration. Just enjoy it, bro -- couple of years ago I also said someone in perticular would be better off dead, and my wish was granted, as that someone was killed in an accident while rollerblading. Too bad he died before I could beat his ass to a bloody pulp, though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.