1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Things that piss you off...for no good reason

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Death Rabbit, Aug 21, 2003.

1. DarkGoddess Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Gee, I don't really know. I'm extremely tolerant, but there are things that really just tick me off.

1. Shoe customers. As I work in a shoe department, I constantly run across people who can't hear well, who can't see well, and don't know their own shoe size.

2. People who say stupid things. I mean, come on. You could have said something way better then that crap.

3. Uncomfortable silences. I just don't like those.

4. Dirty dishes lying around the house. I really don't like that. It's just so yucky and messy.

5. Dirty dishes being piled in the sink full of dirty water. I hate it when my b/f does that! Doesn't he know how filthy I feel when I have to dig those dishes out? Disgusting.

6. Rednecks. These people shouldn't procreate. The world would be better off without them.

7. Mothballs. There's just something about them that makes me go, ewww. The smell, yucky.

I think that's about it. There's probably a million things on my list, but I can't think of anymore right now.

2. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

Smart Casuals: I dont understand the term.
    Leakages: Espesially when the plumber decides to take a holiday.
    People switching on all electrical appliances and then leaving their room.
    People complaining about my beer breath and beer belly.
    Cats having kittens within hearing range.

3. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Anything dirty, drives me nuts.

When people call Barrett an Arab. As much as I loathe Barrett, I must accept the fact that he is not an Arab, and also wish that people would stop using Arab as an insult.

4. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    10-years old, blonde, little boys with 'cocks-comb' (punk) hairs and a thin tail, wearing too fine golden necklaces. Often called Ricardo.

The difference between English and American languages. I might watch a movie in a blue coloured elevator. I might also see a film in a blue colored lift. I don't care. I don't notice the difference untill somebody mentions it.

Most French people. I'm glad DR started this topic, since I have no particular reason to hate them (all).

5. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Sorry DR. I don't really do things for irrational reasons, at least I don't see myself doing things that way. I always think of some sort of excuse for why I do whatever it is I do. Hope this doesn't get too casual.
    (Edit: Just 2 things here I can see as "rational", so I'll still post it here because they're referring to contents of this thread.)

About the film/movie thing. Although my English is well above the average level here in Finland, I've still never heard of any big difference between movies and films. I always assumed that movie was something you watched in theatre, while film was something you watched home on VCR or DVD. I expect that most not-native English speakers have the same problem.

Things that piss me off:

- People who think that great intelligence is higher up than great physique (this is often visible in people who think themselves more than they are). They're both equally important. Connected to this, people who brag. Saying something completely irrelevant to the matter at hand just because they want to show others they know something about something that nobody cares about. You see this at Sorcerer's often.

- People who can't accept the possibility of being wrong. Or claiming higher authority for their opinions based on an external source such as religion, culture or other somesuch. This is the exact opposite of Chev's #23's example of "What point following your religion if you say it's equally as true and worthy as any other one?" (compare to #14). I *hate* the shortsightedness and narrowmindedness of people who refuse to accept that whatever their belief is, can be wrong. The most common reason for quarrels taken too far (wars) is people who are unable to accept that their view of whatever matter (often religion) is in question is not one bit more important or more right than the other's. Have opinions, believe in them, but accept alternatives, so to say.

- Gays, again. Though I've pointed out numerable times that I'm not against gays (when they keep their acts to themselves), I cannot and will not deny the fact that two men together is absolutely repulsive to see. They have a right to kiss and grab eachother's butts and ****s in public places, but it doesn't mean I have to like it.

- People who don't even try to pronounce *well-known* foreign names. For example, the Finns always pronounce Olympics as if they were Olumpiks. There is an officially correct way to pronounce it as it is written in Finnish, these simpletons just refuse to use it. Another is people who are from some god-forsaken (sorry for the possible insult, but the meaning of this rant is to come out as offensive-ish.. although in a humorous and amusing manner) country with a name 5 people in the world can pronounce, and they then assume everyone is so very interested and capable of getting their names right on the 10:th attempt. Or people who try to pronounce Finnish names and get pissed to me because I don't understand their crappy language. Some languages don't fit together, it's not another's fault so I'd appreciate it if people tried to understand that. And no, this is not controversial to what I said in the beginning about olympics.

- Copycat nicks. I hate them. This is probably the most irrational thing I can come up with. I hate copycat nicks so much with so little reason there's nothing I hate that much. There you have "Schwarzeneggers" and "Jet Li's" and (history repeats :) ) "Sephiroths". I have friends who hate "over-original" nicks even more, but I don't care how dumb some "over-original" nick sounds like, it can still never be as crappy as some copycat name. Like bumping into "Aeris" from FFVII! Just a game, but ARRRGH!!! I would strangle such a person IRL were I not put in jail for it (well not quite, but you get the idea)!

- I go with babies as mentioned above. Noise-making, slobby annoying little things. Same applies to teenagers. That annoying Fubux style just gives me the creeps, don't they even realise how dumb that looks?

- And yes, French and German people. It's not enough to work as a blockade against getting to know these folks, but for some reason whenever I run into a French / German person my initial reaction is to think that s/he's a dumb sissy snob / pervert egomaniac interested in you-know-what -videos. No reason, just is this way.

[ August 22, 2003, 12:43: Message edited by: Foradasthar ]

6. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

1. People who nurse their prejudices. I know I have mine, but I tend to keep them under control. But some people just have to repeat them ever and ever again everytime the respective topic pops up. Repeating them does not make them more true.

2. Teenage B**ches. You know them? From 13-17 years old and wearing clothes like their favourite female music stars, even if they don't fit and look ridicolous or even disgusting. Add a thick layer of make-up and there you have them. Same with boys without the make-up. Get your own style, folks!
    Btw: I hate Hennes&Mauritz. They sell these clothes. Burn their stores!

7. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    @Foradasthar:

//Disclaimer: this is to defend the logical consistency of my post and serves no other purpose, not even that of adding anything to my post above. Most of all, this is by no means a separate discussion of any values or beliefs.//

My points you mention - #23 and #14 don't cotradict each other if you get them in full.

There's a huge difference between acknowledging and respecting the others' right to their beliefs and diminishing your own ones by admitting that they're no better than any other (and thus believing so - unless tolerance is about sweet lies serving to make us all feel good). The right of anyone to have his beliefs is no better or worse than the similar right of the other people. This, however, does not extend to beliefs themselves. Tolerance preachers continously fail to understand this and hold all other people to their own values and categories up to the point where they tell them how to think, let alone the fact that they present the tolerance preach as a logical 1 and the crown of human wisdom and greatest achievement of human philosophy. If that's tolerance, please call me a Nazi, a partisan or an extremist from here on, whatever best suits your fancy. This kind of tolerance preachers falls under my point #14, whether they like this or not. They also fall under my point #23 because they believe and preach that "compromising your values is a matter of tolerance and that making concessions is the basis of kindness" and "expect people to act accordingly", but they in their own right and of their own assumed authority exempt their own vision of tolerance from that. They piss me off less if they have any other beliefs that they compromise to feel more tolerant - in the latter case I just pity them and can't force myself to get pissed off at them even though heaven knows how dutifully I have tried :rolleyes:

The said kind of tolerance preachers falls also under #7, #16 and #24 and also under #7 per analogy, most of them fall under #3 and #13 and many under #11.

@Fabius Maximus:

I am with you. I allow myself to extend the age cathegory by including those of mental age as specified by you for biological age, if you don't mind ;)

They remain in direct violation of points 1, 3, 5, 7, 11, 14, 15, 16, 20, 23, 24, 26, per analogy fall under 12, 17, 20, 21, with rare exceptions confirming the rules they fall under 12 and 13 and they all also tend to be in conflict with points 18, 19 and 21 directly and per analogy.

Of course, not all *****es fall under this category. Some do not indulge in idolatry, some are not brain-washed. Some don't really piss me off (at least not insanely) and some piss me off (even insanely) in such a way that I like them for it :D :p ;) Those are rare exceptions of insignificant percentile value.

I think I'll spare you my further bitter reflections on *****es. Suffice to say, they violate mostly the same points (if to a lesser extent), but a huge emphasis is laid on point 12, thereby making them natives of #12 plane. They are the biggest test of my forgiving religion that I've ever seen. I love tolerance preachers if compared to them.

[ August 22, 2003, 15:26: Message edited by: chevalier ]

8. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

[​IMG] What was that Chev? :confused:

9. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

// Offtopic

@Chevalier

Well yes this is going offtopic a bit. But it's just my view that when matters are taken far enough, you will inevitably collide with violent results unless you're willing to make some of the said compromises. Of course "giving up" just like that is suicidal, dumb and just as wrong (given my war example, you can turn it upside down as well.. meaning, if you had a nation full of people who each followed their own views exactly and would not fight a war for another, then no-one could organize a group large enough to fight the war... whereas over-"tolerant" people who didn't follow their own strict views are easily controllable by any powerfigure), but my point was mainly about people who have extremely strong opinions (unlike some might claim, religion is an opinion since everyone more or less choose their own, if any) and despite being able to respect differences in this, are completely unwilling to even remotely consider the possibility of being mistaken. There are many of these types.

So short put: In order to truly understand and "respect" the view of another on any given matter, you have to be able to think on it as such that s/he has a reason for believing in whatever it is s/he believes in. You have to save the few percentages of your brain capacity into allowing yourself to think "what if". Otherwise you'll just accept their false beliefs because you don't have a choise, which, as said above, can become a problem when taken too far.

I have a friend who has a very high sense of morals and ethics. He's also a very good leader, of sorts. But the reason why I wouldn't allow him to become a major leader, or otherwise gain too much power, is because despite his good intentions he believes that he is more right than others. Which in the end would force him to make decisions for others, causing greater misery overall. Respect is a mix of many things, of which fear undoubtedly is one (not a strong fear, perhaps, but the fear to know that should you step over bounds you would get hurt back one way or another). For that reason, respect alone will not suffice for one who has too much power on his person. Tolerance (maybe this isn't the best possible word but I think it fits here just fine considering how you've been using it in the past :) ), however, is not corrupted by power. In the end you always have to be introspective enough to allow for deep self-examination and change of nature in order to truly co-exist well with your surroundings.

Hope that made some sense as to what I meant.

10. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31

Whatever you said, chev. :D

11. trillex Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Things I hate and don't know why:

French and german (the language)
    It just doesn't sound good and (off topic) they don't want to speak anything else because they think everyboyd speaks german.

People who follow fashion (clothes, music etc)

People who goes for the graphics in games

People who play Diablo 2 and CS
    Well, actually it's just the scene I hate.

Our government (Denmark)

12. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] my mother boyfriend - he's nice and all, I don't know why he annoys me so much :hmm:

people whistling and singing - just gets to me

socks...

13. Jarel Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

@8people: even if they sing or whistle WELL? :)

14. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I don't know, if it's recorded it's okay, it's just, I don't know - it pisses me off... for no good reason, as I believe is the topic :heh:

15. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

chev, fabius, im a teenager and im NOT idolistic, i dress how i want, which is usually whatever comes to hand out of my drawer. i dress comfortably, not to look "cool" which imho is stupid as hell most of the time. im not brainwashes because i form my own opinions unlike most teenagers who just take someone else's and use it. sorry about the tirade but it irritate me to be put in with people like that. and yes i know you said there are some exceptions

16. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Don't worry. You are an exception. You're in violation of only three points directly and some four or five per analogy.

17. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Using twenty or twenty-one words when four or five words are enough. Brevity is the soul of wit. Dam, I gave a reason.

People who care to much about spelling. No special reason, just ticks me off.

People who go off-topic, except it's notorious me.

18. Valkyrie Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Ignorance. It shouldn't, because sometimes people can't help it, but still...

And lack of common sense... the "hmmm, I think I'll stick this wire into an electrical outlet" kind of thing.

19. Silverwolf86 Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

You tell 'em Los_Drizzt!! Actually, in a sense I agree with them to a small degree but those are generally what we Americans call, "the brainless popular group" (In my school these are the drop-outs and some of the cheerleaders who pick on individualists and those who play D&D.... what's up with that???) And then on the flip side of the coin there are those of us that think for ourselves and we detest them because they are an insult to reality. So my guess is that Chev and Fabius were just expressing annoyment with the "few" ninnies who have no sense of self or personality. -- On that note and bringing this back on topic, Hilary Duff annoys me for some reason I can't figure out. I think it's cuz she seems like a complete idiot who wants to be exactly like Britney Spears and cut ties with Disney but I'm not sure. And I'm not sure that's rational either.

20. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31

Exactly, Silverwolf.

@Trillex: You obviously met the wrong germans. Btw, this is the way we think about the british. Even if they can speak german, they use english.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.