1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Thief-only party (BG1 & BG2)

Discussion in 'Creativity Surge' started by Shadowcouncil, Sep 15, 2001.

1. Shadow Assassin Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

this seems pretty cool, me being a fan of the Rogue classes and all. I was wondering are you going to play Darkest Day? or do you not have it, I myself have been debating ordering it on the CD-Rom(I have slow 56k connection). From what I've seen its pretty cool. Oh yes and Rogues rule. Especially Assassins

2. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

I will just finish BG2 and ToB and maybe also do NWN.... no pathes I think

3. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] Perhaps saying that they are a powerful party is more accurate than the words I used in my previous post.
    When these guys get high level abilities they'll be cruising, especially if you're willing to set nasty, nasty traps. :mommy:

4. [​IMG] This probably isnt the place to put this but I didnt want to start a new thread..and it is about thieves.
    I was wondering if dual-weilding applies any penalties to back-stabbing.
    I'm soloing a f/m/t through SOA right now..and I cant seem to get a backstab higher than twenty..any ideas of what is hindering me..or just extremely bad luck?
    BTW keep the posts coming Headbanger it is a very nice thread to read..and who cares if they are abit overpowered?:evil:

5. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

You should really ask these questions in the BG2:SoA forum if that's the game.
    However...
    The first attack will be the backstab, dual wielding does not cause a problem.
    Make sure you actually backstab - it should say so in the text. Are you undetected and behind target and using weapon only usable by thief?

6. Yes, I am using weapons usable by a thief, Arbanes(sp?) short sword +2, and a dagger +2, I have two slots in both short swords and daggers, also I have two slots in dual-wielding.
    And yes I am hiding in shadows, and it never says that I have successfully made a backstab, thanks for the answer though.

7. Lord Sarevok Guest

IIRC it will only say "Backstab Double Damage" for example, if it doesn't that's odd, cause I backstab all the time with my dual wielding Stalker...

8. [​IMG] I got it fixed, I guess I wasnt standing behind them like I thought I was. Thanks for the help.

9. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

The Shadowcouncil kicked Thaxll'ssillyia and also Kangaxx. I just discovered that Deidre is also in the ToB add on so I'm now collection money to buy some great items from Deidre.. I almost did all quests now. The fight with Shandalar is still too hard, even with two characters protected from magic..... I almost done all quests except for Bodhi's Lair..... I will do that soon and then go to Spellhold, however I want some gold to purchase Deidre's good stuff before going to the Underdark. The thief/illusionist will get the Katana that gives spell bonusses and Glorfindel will somtimes switch to dual wield a long sword with Celestrial Fury.

About the Difficulty: It depends on the kind of battle if it is hard or not. The thing is that I have to strike at first attack. That is very powerfull. One enemy can be surrounded and 4 backstab-attacks are almost always deadly. But when I have to kill a whole party I can backstab a few but not all. So then I damaged a few enemies and the rest I have to kick with a less good Thaco, less good AC and less hit points then a normal party and then it gets hard... SOmetimes I really need many tactics, traps and use all spells and abilities I have to kill a group.

10. Ok Headbanger, youve had a break, when are you going to tell those that want to know..
    What happened next??

You could at least tell if your not going to finish it. Com'on finish it already.

/me ends pointless rant, just want to see what happens with this near super-powerful party.

11. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

Ok... I'm back... I forget to make screenshots and that is bad... nevertheless, the party is still active however I also need time for other things.... sport, parties, d&d....

The Shadowcouncil did all they had to do in Athkatla. Before I did Aran's quest to help the Shadow Thieves in the war with Bodhi's Vampire Guild, I made a short trip to Watchers Keep.. of course for th Short Sword of Mask +4. I killed the vampires rather easy. Still I knew that the Underdark wouldn't be easy so I spent my next proficiency-slots for Haldir and Glorfindel in Two Weapon Fighting. I now can switch dual-wielding and single + ranged to give my characters a better melee-attack. Had no problems till now... I did all quests in Brynnlaw and escaped from Spellhold... Entered the Sahuagin City and escaped from it after helping the prince. Now I just reached the Underdark... that's where I am now... sorry but I cannot play as much as Ragusa for example.... I have more then a RPG-life only :)

Haldir with ring of Gaxx, Shadowdragon Scale, boots of speed and more interesting stuff and his great stats can do much alone.. Haldir explores areas and kills many easy enemies alone... the harder fights are for the whole party.

Well, that's it for now.. I promise to include some good screenshots next time. The part is at level 20.... the fact that I play only 4 characters gives me more XP and so a higher level wich is for assasins very important...... Maybe it will be harder in ToB..... It's not very hard at the moment... but killing Irenicus and playing ToB will be some harder I guess... I now have Imoen in my party.. I have to take of her and bring her safely to Athkatla.....

ALways yours,

Haldir

12. [​IMG] :round of applause for headbanger, and the shadowcouncil: :1eye:

My thanks you to for gracing us with your time. Keep up the good work as much as you can, we all wait diligently for the next post/edit, or atleast I do.

13. Stomoxys Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Heey Bix,

you're doing pretty well there...and i'm convinced your party is hard to kill when it's about HP etc...your AC compensates all of it.
    I know your in the underdark now....have a good trip and see you @ D&D!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.