1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Thief-only party (BG1 & BG2)

Discussion in 'Creativity Surge' started by Shadowcouncil, Sep 15, 2001.

1. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
  2. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

I'm now in the city and will do the great thief quests for the first time :)

5-11: Tomorrow is my free day, then I'll play an hour or 4.

[This message has been edited by Headbanger (edited November 05, 2001).]

3. Ragusa

Media:
    Among the thief quests I especially like the telescope quest (where you meet Alora, about the best thief in BG-1) and the airship quest (where you have to steal a statue and a book iirc from a house full of people and you don't know where the stuff actually is :) - a little difficult). Not to mention the two minor thief quest you do for the guildsfolk there ... [MINOR SPOILER: Before doing the airship quest, I recommend to talk to the other thiefs first btw .... ;) ]

[This message has been edited by Ragusa (edited November 02, 2001).]

4. LordNocturne Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

<rythm="chant"> We Want MORE! We Want MORE! etc, etc

5. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

I played some more today. Everybody leveled up again and now everybody reached the maximum level. The results of the Cleric/Thief where (as you could see in the previous post) rather bad. So I made her some better today. I killed the bitches in the Low Lantarn and gave her the Gauntlets of Ogre Power wich increases her to hit and damage a lot. She also got the large shield +1 +4 vs. Missile Weapons. I only need a good Helmet, so soon I'll get the helmet of Balduran for her. I finished the Thief-quests and they where indeed great. I also killed Marek, his short bow is very important for me, Haldir. The Illusionist/Thief is great, she killed all Ogre-Mages in the house in the south alone. Haldir killed the Basilisk so his most powerful vanquished is now some better. Next target will be Ragefast his Ring of Protection +2. I still haven't found too hard fights in the game. Maybe the last fights will be a problem though. The Ogre Beserker in Blushing Marmaid was kinda hard to beat already.. well we'll see.

6. ArchAngel Guest

enlighten us soon. I am exploding!!! :D

7. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

Ah, Ok. :) I already played a bit more. I almost finished all Baldur's Gate quests. Most quests didn't give much problems. The hardest part was the house with a 3 invisible stalkers, two helmet horrors and two doom guards. But they are also dead. With the Cloak of Balduran, my thief's AC is finally a bit lowered (to 0) The Cleric/Thief became a lot stronger with the Gauntlets of Ogre Power and the Helm of Power and the Ring of Protection +2, the Fighter/Thief now uses the Helm of Balduran. I need the Longtooth Dagger for my mage and the Short Sword of Backstabbing. I only need to do the Seven Suns and Iron Throne quests.

8. ArchAngel Guest

No screenshots of inventories and action? :(

Nice to read this teaser. I thought the shadow counsil were lost in the dark. Pheww.

Soon they are ready for TotSC aye? I am looking forward to the cave beneath candlekeep.

[This message has been edited by ArchAngel (edited November 22, 2001).]

9. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

The problem is that I can't find ToTSC in town and I also can't order it online for I have no credit card and paying in dollars is very expensive. So I'm still searching and when I can't find it I directly go to BG2 and then to ToB. I will make some inventory and game-shots soon! Upcoming quests and screenshots are the Iron Throne quest and Return to castle Candlekeep.

10. Ragusa

Media:
    Marnix,
    excuse my question, maybe you've tried out alredy, but have you thought about ordering it via amazon (of course via SP-ink ;) )? I did so with my 3e phb and though it took a while till I finally got it, I was able to pay by just transfering the money without any credit card.

11. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

Well, since the boards where down for 2 weeks, I played much with my party. I went to Candlekeep, and escaped through the maze. The tome of strength that increased my thief's strength from 18 to 19 was really great, the difference between 18 and 19 strength is huge. We fought the party in the Candlekeep Underground and killed them rather easily. Back in Baldur's Gate we killed Slythe and Krystin, also easily. This fight was not just a fight, it was a duel between the greatest assasins of Baldur's Gate. The winner would get this title. Well, there is no doubt who was the best, look at his amazing shot :) : http://home.hetnet.nl/~ma1rnix/poor_slythe.jpg

The Short Word of Backstabbing and Longtooth where a great addition for the weaponarmour of the Shadowcouncil.

The fight in the Duchal Palace was pretty hard. After a few times reloading, I was able to kill the dopplegangers without the dukes where killed. The thief's maze was a piece of cake for thief's only, the Skeleton Warriors where easily backstabbed... The fight with the party in the Undercity required some tactics..... My pure thief had good fire resistance and used the same tactic as the party... one Arrow of detonation, and the he sneaked away with his boots of speed. 2 guys from the party followed him. The other thiefs and Haldir where again hidden in shadows and backstabbed the two guys. No wthe Illusionist/thief also cast a fireball and the Orc died. The party hid in shadows again and backstabbed the three characters that where left... Two where dead immediatly, the thiefd one was killed by arrows and spells.

The fight was done. The last obstacle was Tamoko. She refused to listen to my wise words and attacked me... She died quick.

The final battle awaited. Tazok was the first to bite the dust. Backstabbing Sarevok didn't work so I summoned a whole army of beasts. I had to fight two Helmet Horrors and Sarevok and Semaj at the same time. Semaj died after dispelling the protection and shooting some arrows. Then it was Sarevoks turn. He was hit many times, and when he was almost dead, I used a potion of invisibility. I called the monsters back and stayed... When Sarevok passed, I left shadows. The Sword of Backstabbing fleed through the air and hit Sarevok straight in his heart. Sarevok gave a cry and fell on the ground. He opened his eyes for the last time and looked at me with despair. "This is for all you have done to me, and as revenge for Gorion's death" I said. "You... can..not... stop .... the Bhaal...spawn. You... may win ... here... but will ... die .. some...where.. else." "I will and I can stop Bhaal" I said... and put the blade in Sarevoks heart again... Sarevok gave a last cry and closed his eyes an died.

Thus ends the adventure of the Shadowcouncil in BG. But don't be afraid, I already continued with this party in BG2. I wanna ask one of the mods to change the topic to Thief-Only party (BG1 & BG2)

Some screenshots: (I have more but have to upload them first when I'm at home)
    http://home.hetnet.nl/~ma1rnix/die.jpg http://home.hetnet.nl/~ma1rnix/meetmypets.jpg http://home.hetnet.nl/~ma1rnix/poor_krystin.jpg

THE SHADOWCOUNCIL ENTERS BALDUR'S GATE 2

First I have to tell some things. I decided to import not only one character but to import the whole party. So becasue of that I used the Tomes in BG not for one character only but the tome of Wisdom for my Cleric/Thief, the Tome of Constitution, Strength and Dexterity for my pure Thief (wich I made an Assasin) and the tome of Intelligence for the Illusionist/Thief.

So I started BG2 with these characters:

(this is after playing a short time, the mage/thief and cleric/thief where 5/7 at the end of BG, after killing Ilych they are level 6/7 and have one profiency slot more.
    Haldir

Race: Elf
    Alignment: Chaotic Good
    Class: Assasin
    Level: 8
    Proficiency: 1 slot at Short Bow, Short Sword, Dagger, Two Handed Weapon Fighting, and Single weapon fighting

Abilities:

Strength: 19
    Dexterity: 20
    Constitution: 18
    Wisdom: 11
    Intelligence: 13
    Charisma: 19

Thief ability specializations:

Hide in Shadows: 105
    Detect / Remove Traps: 71
    Move Silently: 65

Glorfindel

Race: Elf
    Class: Fighter/Thief
    Level: 6/7
    Proficiency: 2 slots on Long Sword, 2 slots on Long Bow, two slots on single weapon fighting, one slot at two handed weapon-fighting.

Abilities:

Strength: 18/93
    Dexterity: 19
    Constitution: 17
    Wisdom: 8
    Intelligence: 13
    Charisma: 11

Hide in Shadows: 110
    Open Locks: 80
    Move Silently: 55

Luily Greylock

Race: Gnome
    Class: Cleric/Thief
    Proficiency: Flail, Mace, Sling, Sword and Shield-style

Abilities:

Strength: 18
    Dexterity: 18
    Constitution: 18
    Wisdom: 18

Hide in Shadows: 100
    Move Silently: 70
    Pick Pockets: 50

Dori Greylock

Race: Gnome
    Class: Illussionist/Thief
    Proficiency: 1 slot at Crossbow, Katana, Single Weapon Fighting and one at two handed weapon fighting.

Abilities:

Strength: 18
    Dexterity: 18
    Constitution: 16
    Wisdom: 13
    Intelligence: 20
    Charisma: 11

Hide in Shadows: 100
    Detect Illusions: 70
    Move Silently: 65

Irenicus Dungeon wasn't too hard. I had Imoen and Yoshimo temporary in my party. I escaped without problems. Dumped Yoshimo and Imoen was captured. Did the beastmaster-quest and so gained the Tuigan Bow. Leveled up to level 10 with my thief. Killed the party that attacks you while travelling in Atkahtla for Arbane's Sword. Also killed the Lich (with Minor Meteors) in the pub near the gate for Daystar. Now I am at d'Arnise Hold. I currently have Nalia in my party.

Current Equipment:

Haldir: Arbane's Short Sword +2, Tuigan Bow, Studded Leather, Golden Girdle, Gloves of Pickpocketing, Ring of Protection.

Glorfindel: Studded Leather, Long Sword +1, Long Bow +1, Girdle of Piercing, Helm of Balduran, Daystar, Ring of Protection, ring of human influence.

Luily Greylock: Flail of the ages (only the 1rst part forged on it), Studded Leather, Sling +2, Helmet of Infravision,

Dori Greylock: Katana +1, Light Crossbow +1, Bracers of Defense AC8, Knaves Robe, Metaspell Influence Amulet.

[This message has been edited by Headbanger (edited December 12, 2001).]

12. ArchAngel Guest

[​IMG] IT is great to see the blokes able to sneak and twist every bad and creepy guy in Baldurs Gate.

I can't wait to hear their tales in Amn. But I have to :D

13. Doofus Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] cool! I think I'll try it. I do have a question though; do you ever miss killing the critters the old fashoned way?

14. i was wondering...are you going to get the Staff of Magi?..if nothing else you could just do the quest for the experience..

15. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

Ok, the first stories:

To start with, the beginning of BG2 wasn't very hard for me. The backstabbing was good against many creature's however the most don't fall as quick as in BG. I have to play a little bit careful for I have less hit points and a less good AC, especially in the beginning of the game... My goal was to gather good armor and weapons soon.

I leveled up to level 11 (with pure thief)

Irenicus Dungeon

Imoen released me from my Cage. I rescued the other members of the Shadowcouncil. Also rescued Minsc and Jaheira and told them it was better for them to find their own way out. I kept Imoen in my party. With the equipment I found, I didn't had much problems with escaping. I refused to have Yoshimo in my party, I don't wanna involve others in the problems of the Shadowcouncil. When we escaped the dungeon, Imoen and Irenicus where captured by Cowled Wizards.

D'Arnise Hold

Talked to Nalia and promised to help her. She joined my party in D'Arnise Hold and together we had some problems but finally completed the whole task, I even killed the Iron Golem (needed 3 days, 10 Melf's Minor Meteor spells (:)) but finally the Golems where dead, I left Nalia in D'Arnise hold "to stay there for the rest of her life"

Thief's Guild

Ah, I always wanted to have my own Thief's guild, Haldir thought when he talked to Renal Bloodscalp. Soon his thoughts would become reality.

It wasn't hard to prove that Mae'var was guilty. It suprised me that killing the wizard Rayic wasn't very hard.... Killing him without too much problems... They only problem was the fight with all the thiefs in the guild, who nearly killed me. I had to use all magic and power to kill them. Mae'var was a peace of cake though. I now have my own Thief's guild. I choose a way a bit more risky then the default way.... Also solved the Ama-problem :)

Unseeying Eye Quest

The Shadowcouncil sees Helm as an important god. So we where immediatly agreed to help Helm in investigating the cult. The Gauths gave some problems but in the end I was able to complete the whole quest. THis was the first time I did the whole quest instead of just killing the Unseeying Eye wich is a with tougher. During this quest I had the help of Keldorn. I encountered he has a bad Dexterity, so I gave him the Gauntlets of Dexterity as reward and kicked him out of my party.

Short Quest:

- Killed Party in the Sewers
    - Circus Quest
    - The Slavers Quest.
    - Gaelan Bayle money-quest
    - Kill the Lich in Gate Destrict
    - Pay money to be able to use magic in Ahkatla
    - Free Viconia
    - Kill the Vampires on the street.
    - Killed Lich one in the Kangaxx-saga.
    - "Helped" Xzar
    - Help Helm to get a sculpture of Sarlas (SIR Sarlas I mean)

Important Items I bought/found or got as loot and use now:

Haldir:

Arbane's Sword, Tuigan's Bow, Ring of Regenaration, Boots of Stealth, Skin of the Ghoul, Ring of Earth Control, Amulet of Magic Resistance 5%, Gauntlets of Pickpocketing, Golden Girdle, Cloak of the Sewers.

Glorfindel:

Daystar, Elven Court Bow, Ring of Ram, Helm of Balduran, Girdle of Fortitude, Nymph's Cloak, Aeger's Hide

Luily Greylock:

Flail of the Ages, Sling of Seeking, Helmet of Charm Protection, Armor of the Deep Night, Ring of Energy, Ring of Animal Friendship.

Dori Greylock:

Bracers of Defense AC3, Cloak of Protection, Helmet, Boots of Avoidance, Metaspell Amulet, Light Crossbow +1, Katana +1, Ring of Human Influence, Girdle of Piercing.

16. Black Rose Guest

What a quest! Will you be continuing this epic in ToB as well?

17. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

To answer some questions:

- I will do all quests possible... I will also kill Shandalar for that great staff... Maybe I give it as award to one of the NPC's that join temporary.

- The Shadowcouncil will play the whole saga, except for TotSC. So also ToB... and maybe even Neverwinter Nights. :)

- Doofus, not really. Some fights that aren't to hard I handle just without stealth and backstabbing...

I will play some more tomorrow, however I'm also playing multiplayer with Ragusa, so I'm not sure what I play tomorrow but I suppose I got some time for the Shadowcouncil next days.

18. Very good. i cant wait for more.

19. [​IMG] have to love thieves.
    im soloing a f/m/t through BG-TotSC-BGII-TOB...right now kinda stuck at the bandit camp, and thats only because i ran out of healing potions. keep up the good work headbanger.

20. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] Great fun, isn't it? Keep posting those screenshots. I love that!

I must make a comment here...
    Obviously - and oddly enough some posters don't immediately realize that - this party is seriously overpowered.

1. All characters have supreme stats.
    2. The party covers all classes and has thief skills on every member - most importantly stealth and backstab.
    3. Four characters is a very good number for rapid level advancement.

The only weakness is a lack of real tanks, but that's overcome by the various strengths.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.