1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Thief-only party (BG1 & BG2)

Discussion in 'Creativity Surge' started by Shadowcouncil, Sep 15, 2001.

1. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Start a multiplayer game and play multiplayer with yourself. You will get 6 slots to make characters of your own. I think when I play multiplayer with myself I use TCP/IP. That lets you play multiplayer without having to connect to anyone or anything else.

2. Ok Big B i tried that. It didn't work but using a serial does work off line. but thanks for the help anyways! I happy now! Ya! EveryOne be happy!

3. Sentry Guest

You can copy the savegame from "MPSAVE" to "SAVE" and play a singleplayer game once you created the characters..

4. Big B Gems: 27/31

[​IMG] But is there an advantage to doing that Sentry? I don't know it just seems easy enough for me to leave it as a multiplayer game and just play myself.

5. DragonRider SkyWard Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Their is an advantage if you leave it as a mulitplayer game. When you pause you can go to the item screen and it will still be paused. Unlike singleplayer.

6. Nobleman Gems: 27/31

[​IMG] Pretty good Headbanger :)

SPOILER INSIDE!! You have played BG1 so I consider you pretty well aware of most troubles and encounters. Do you foresee any hard tasks? Perhaps Slythe or the gang in the caves beneath Candlekeep? I remember both beeing very troublesome. If you have lots of money in reserve do you plan to use them on potions to make life sweeter? Or on bullets, bolts and arrows?

7. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

Thanks my friend from the North. (for changing the topic again, all attention to the Shadowcouncil :p)

Well, I already found out that at the moment, the game is already not easy anymore. I am now in the Western Wilderness between Nashkel and Gnoll Fortress. I killed Sendai, Delgod and Alexander. Everybody except for Minsc leveled up. The pure thief is now Level 3, the rest is level 2/1 or level 2/2. The armor of Sendai (studded leather +2) is very welcome and also the 70 arrows +1 are great. Also killed Vax and Zal, with the Bracers of Archery my Bow skills are even better. The worst problems I encounter at the moment are the Skeletons. You can't really damage them with bow, every hit will only do one damage. The Cleric/Thief, the only one that can Crush skeletons (has a mace now) has a too high AC. Maybe, next time I am in area's with much skeletons, maybe I will make my Cleric/Thief some better by giving him the best armor temporary. The darts and bolt of Skeletons go through my studded leather armors yet. So the most important thing now is to get some better Armor class. I will collect money to be able to buy the Shadowarmor. So I suppose the problems will be in enemies that are hard to attack by ranged weapons at the moment. (for example "The best Fighter of the Sword Coast" in Firewine Ruins can be a problem.

I also thought about the party in Candlekeep Dungeons and the party in the lost city under Baldur's Gate, but I suppose that with some good backstabbing and using fireballs and special arrows (like arrows of detonation) it can be possible.

Soon my Hide in Shadows will be good enough to have the whole party hidden in shadows while walking, and then surprise will be my most important tactic.

8. Sentry Guest

Yeah... Then you'll be deadly.

9. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

I played some more today. Made it till the Gnoll Fortress. West of Nashkel I increased my reputation by helping the girl with her cat and by saving the tree. I found the Flail +1 for my Cleric/Thief and Bracers of Defense AC 8 for my Illusionist/Thief. Some characters leveled up again. The pure thief is Level 4 and the dual classed thiefs level 3 on thief-class (level 2 on the other class)

I had some small problems with the two ogre beserkers and 4 Hobgoblin Elite archers on the bridge (map north of Gnoll Stronghold)
    After a reload, I killed the archers with ranged weapons. The first Ogre Beserker was just death when he reached my group, after that, the second one was backstabbed by my Fighter/Thief and Pure Thief, after that his Morale filaed and he tried to run away, one arrow of my Fighter/Thiefs Composite LongBow +1 was enough to strike him down.

The Gnolls in Gnoll Stronghold gave less problems, they wheren't too hard to kill. Captured Dynaheir. Here Minsc and I will part. It was hard, for in the short time that we travelled together, I began to like the young ranger. He is a strong warrior and has great morale but I don't want him to be troubled with our problems and perils. This is a problem between the Shadowcouncil and the unnamed evil. At least Minsc and Dynaheir are together again and without doubt they will have great adventures together. The equipment I found and bought for him (Ankheg's Plate, Heavy Crossbow, Two Handed Sword +1) did I give him as present. He wanted to pay me for it but I said that he would need it to protect Dynaheir. I also gave him the Gauntlets of Dexterity for my whole party already has a dexterity of 18 or 19. Now Minsc has a Low AC, good Equipment and better ranged weapons skills. With this and his strength and morale, he will survive and I doubt not that he will be a great warrior soon.

To be continued...

Haldir

10. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] That's what I get from neglecting BG-1! Missing a topic like this :mad:

Of course thieves rule and this party will prove that *nothing* can resist determined criminal energy. This party is a moving thief guild :happy: Unfortunately Marnix, wasn't smart enough to choose a halfling fighter-thief, alas, elves are not that weaker eiter, so his party is great anyway :p :grin:

He'll discover that no kobold has a chance vs. a mage-thief with a wand or fire and the thiefs backstabbing. No house will be safe any longer at the whole swordcoast (I actually always found the difficulty setting for burglary enjoyably high :) )

Go for it. Good fun :) I hope you have ToSC installed for Durlag's tower ... *the* mots challenging area for any thief party :)

[This message has been edited by Ragusa (edited September 26, 2001).]

11. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

Thanks Ragusa, for the trust you have in my party. You may have noticed that my alignment is Chaotic Good so I don't pick pocket people etc.

I played a lot yesterday and today, here's a short summary:

After Minsc left the Party with the captured Dynaheir, we went to Beregost to sell some stuff we found. In the smithy was a great Armor but it was still too expensive. The Town Crier in Beregost told me that there was a reward of 5000 gold on the head of the mad cleric Basilius. I visited him and killed him after a hard fight. Basilius himself was kinda easy, Everyone except for the Cleric/Thief hided in Shadows and sneaked to Basilius. The Cleric/Thief used a Protection from Undead scroll and started to attack the Skeleton Archers with his Flail +1, Basilius began his speech and the archers concentrated on the Cleric/Thief. The Fighter/Thief (Greywolf's Sword), Pure Thief (Short Sword +1) and Mage/Thief (Short sword +1) backstabbed Bassilius. He gained much damage and was killed by the Burning Hands spell of the Illusionist/Thief. Then the 3 started to attack the Skeletons... the mage/thief was almost killed but did survive. Well with the reward I bought the Shadow Armor. Ah I also helped Melicamp during this quest.

Now I felt is was time to clear the mines. This was pretty easy for me. The kobolds and kobold commando's are easy to kill by backstabbing. The boss of the mines was also backstabbed and kicked by some magic missiles of my mage. I also killed the party outside the other entry of the mines. The loot, a leather armor +2 and a studded leather +1 where very welcome. I explored the eastern maps and with help of Korax the Ghoul I killed the Bassilisks. Leveled up a few times. Killed "the best swordsman" easily and gave his Gauntlets of Weapon Expertise to the Fighter/Thief. Went back from the east with lots of money. Bought the Dagger of Venom for my Thief/Ilussionist and she also got the Robe of the Good Archmagi. De dagger of Venom is so cool for an Illusionist/Thief, for I love mages that use Daggers and the poison damage makes it also a cool thief-weapon. However the illusionist/thief can also use Long Sword I will let her fight with daggers. My next target will be the maps further to the west. I can get a good helm there and a short sword +2 for my thief.

Some statistics:

Haldir, Elf, Pure Thief:

Level 6, AC 1, HP: 43

Equipment: Short Sword +1, Short Sword +1, Studded Leather armor +2, Bracers of Archery, Boots of Avoidance Ring of Fire Resistance, Golden Girdle (slashing) Algernon's Cloak. Melee attack Thaco: 13.

Thief abilities: Hide in Shadows: 105% Pick Pockets 70%, Detect traps: 30%, Open Locks 30%.

Stats: Strength 18, Dexterity 19, Charisma 21 (cloak and tome) Constitution 16.

Glorfindel, Elf, Fighter/Thief

Level 4 thief, level 4 fighter AC 0, HP 45

Equipment: Long Sword +2 (+1 cold damage) Composite Long Bow +1, Shadow Armor, Boots of the North, Gauntlets of Weapon Expertise, Helmet of Infravision, Girdle of Bluntness. Melee attack Thaco: 10

Thief abilities: Hide in Shadows 100%, Open locks 60%.

Stats: Strength 18/93, Dexterity: 19, Constitution 16.

Luily Greylock, Gnome Cleric/Thief

Level 4 Cleric, Level 4 Thief AC 0, HP 36

Equipment: Warhammer +2 (Bassilius' hammer), also a sling +1 in inventory, Normal Helmet, Large Shield +1, Ring of Wisdom (?) (ring that gives one additional 1st, 2nd, 3rd an 4th level priest spell) Boots of Stealth. Melee attack Thaco: 15

Thief abilities: Hide in Shadows: 135% (boots), Detect Traps 70%

Stats: Wisdom 17 (Gnomes can't have higher), Strength 18, Dexterity 18.

Spells learned: 5x Healing, 1x Entangle, 2x slow poison, 2x that lvl enchanted weapon spell.

Dori Greylock, Gnome, Illusionist/Thief.

Level 5 Illusionist, level 5 Thief, AC 0, HP 28.

Equipment: Dagger of Venom, normal Short Bow, Robe of the Good Archmagi, Ring of Protection +1, wand of fire, wand of monster summoning, wand of Ice, Bracers of Defense AC 7, Ring of Wizardry, Girdle of Piercing.

Thief abilities: Hide in Shadows 95%, detect traps 45%, Pick Pockets 30%, Open locks 40%.

Stats: Intelligence 19, Strenght 18, Dexterity 18.

Spells Available: 2x Identify, 3x Magic Missile, 2x Burning Hands (great spell for after backstabbing) and 2x Web (have to learn better level 2 spells)

That's it for now, you will hear more soon!

[This message has been edited by Headbanger (edited September 26, 2001).]

12. Nobleman Gems: 27/31

I have been thinking a lot about this and I think a major problem will be area of effect spells like fireballs. If there are any opponents casting this (do you have TotSC?). All party members have low HP. Also Lightnig bolt must be annoying.

But I hope the good aligned shadow counsil makes it through.

[This message has been edited by Nobleman (edited September 27, 2001).]

13. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

Detecting traps should keep the traps away, and sneak behind a mage and let him have the knife in his back before initiating that fireball, I thnik he would do just fine ;)

14. Sentry Guest

Yep. It's amazing what you can do with hide in shadows.

15. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

Indeed, however Kharak the Ogre Mage casted a Lightning Bolt on me and that was pretty painful :) So that can be a problem. Another problem will be the characters that won't die at once after the mages etc. backstabbed them. The worst problems will be later in the game I suppose, when enemies don't die anymore when you backstabbed with your party. Strong big parties can also give problems, you can backstab one or two of them and then it will be a one on one fight with the others and that's kinda hard.

Lokken, there's one party (Lost City under Baldur's Gate) with a guy in a strong party that shoots arrow's of detonation, so that kan be kinda hard. But I suppose when you backstab him that will be no problem, however then you have a problem with the rest of the party. I at least got money enough for I don't have to spend as much as a full group with fighters etc so there will be always money enough to buy wands and (and that will save me I predict)... special Arrows. (Arrows of Dispelling, Arrows of Detonation etc). I have 3 characters with bow, so when a party get 3 arrows of detonation at once on the party, they have a small problem I might say :) I supose my Fighter Thief that will fight later with the Long Bow of Markmanship and the Pure Thief with the Eagle Bow will have such good Thaco that there arrows would miss almost never, and when every shot is a hit, special arrows can be great. Acid Arrows on a mage so he can't cast spells anymore, Detonation and +2 arrows on Groups and fighters... I am not afraid for the future!

Back to the Game...

16. Nobleman Gems: 27/31

I agree that was why I asked if you have TotSC installed. Some pretty annoying mages there.

And Lokken I had considered the backstabbing part :p

17. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

Bah, if you sneak up on a mage and do a backstab, and he then fires off a fireball he will most likely kill himself. And you don't have to sneak up on him with the whole party.

But I have nightmares aobut those arrows of detonation, damn they hurt like hell :D

Until my army of many many summoned creatures walked over their tails, hehe

[This message has been edited by Lokken (edited September 27, 2001).]

18. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

Hehe. The good thing is that when there's a party with someone who fires arrows of detonation, is that I can always fire 3 arrow's of detonation back at once (and I am also collecting potions of Fireball for my cleric so I can cast 4 fireballs back at once. The good thing is that when Hided in Shadows, they don't see me so don't cast spells or detonation arrows on me. So I can leave shadows and cast fireballs en shoot arrows and then I am always first and they can only give a proper answer when they are still alive :)

I see only one big problem, and that will be Sarevok and his friends.... :)

I killed the Doomsayer and finished all maps in the west without much problems. My next target will be the Bandit Camp, I will join (as real thiefs) and kill Tazok (for his Gauntlets) and then kill everything that isn't me there. Death to the bandits!

[This message has been edited by Headbanger (edited October 04, 2001).]

19. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Actually that's what I did. Tazoks gauntlets came in very handy later.
    I play a (now) five shorty party with Kivan as the only full sized char. The party is very thief-dominated and rather soft skinned: halfling fighter-thief, gnomish illusionist-thief, dwarven fighter (the three shorties) and Alora, Yeslick and Kivan as support chars.

Since Kivan is somehow lacking hitpoints I prefer to have him as my archer in backline so I have to rely on just one tank for melee. So my party mainly relies on stealth and spells.

It is great how well the mind affecting low-level spells work on minor beings. My absolute favourite is sleep.
    I used it in the cloakwood mine in a room full of ironthrone archers: I scouted the room, casted protection from missiles on my illusionist/ thief, marched in and backstabbed their mage with the poison dagger (nearly instant death). Right next I casted sleep in the room and killed the only enemy awake with agnazar's scorcher and cared for the sleepers then :D

I just did the thief-quests in Baldur's Gate - they are way better than anything BG-2 has to offer, so look forward to them :) Go ahead!

20. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

Thanks Ragusa. I already thought no one would reply here anymore :)

Today, for the first time I enjoyed playing the Firewine Bridge Ruins. This was easier then all other times I visited this ancient place. I noticed that playing with thiefs only has a very big advantages: As long as you are all hided in shadows, enemies don't see yuo. So when you encounter a band of Kobolds, you don't have to fight them but just ignore them, they will not see you, so unnecessary boring fights are prevented.

I think Bioware didn't think about someone would play with thiefs only, there also a small bug. When you enter a party, doesn't matter if they are already evil or not and one of them want to talk to you, they just start to talk to you, also if you all are hided in shadows. When everybody is hided in shadows, they will become hostile (if they wheren't already) but will attack you not until they see you :) Mages do already cast Mirror image before you backstab them and they see you though.

My next target will be the Bandit Camp. The Long Bow of Markmanship will be very welcome, and some other things too. I really look forward to go to BG, there it will really be much fun and some less easy as at the moment.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.