1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The word you learned today

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Runescarred, Oct 22, 2010.

1. nior Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Today, I learned word... absconding. :grin: This time around, the deeper meaning and it's usage. :)

2. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Epibreren. I love this Dutch word. It's not new to me, but I would love to see it being used in foreign languages. :D

Dutch: Epibreren
    English: Epibrate
    French: Epibrirer
    German: Epibrieren
    Italian: Epibrare
    Spanish: Epibrar

Epibreren is a made up verb, meaning: to perform an undefined task with which you want to create the illusion that your task is very important, while it has no significance whatsoever.
    There often is a "wheel of non the wiser" involved in its usage.

-"I can't give you the files. They need to be epibrated first."
    -If your co-worker walks by and asks what your doing and your actually doing nothing but shoving around some papers, you could say "I'm epibrating something."

The problem is that you can't make it too well known, because people will know you're fooling them.

3. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    Master of Nuhn that is awesome ! I think I'll use this word next time at the office. :lol:

4. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

This thread reminds me of an exchange I heard between two Americans while I was in Japan. It went something like this:

A: I really am impressed with Jay. He always knows the right word to say. He's so . . . . . what's the word I'm looking for?

B: Articulate.

A: That's an awesome word, I've never heard it before! I've boosted by vocabulary today. Thanks, B!

B: I have another word for you, and it suits you really well.

A: What's that?

B: Inarticulate!

5. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Twixtmas = Between Christmas and New Year

http://www.twixtmas.com/ is probably the origin but some hotels have also begun to advertise Twixtmas holidays.

6. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    Metaprocrastinate -- /ˈmitəproʊˈkræstəˌneɪt/
    - v

Being aware that one is in a state of procrastination, furthermore one actively wonders what to do when procrastinating.

- What he is doing ?
    - He metaprocrastinates

Origin: Meta + Procrastinate; c. 2010 of possible flixian origin.

7. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    :) Glad you like it, too! I love metaprocrastination as well, so thanks for that! :D Perhaps I can epibrate while I'm metaprocrastinating and take "Tales of Mere Existence" to a new level. :lol:
    People must think I'm the biggest slacker ever! :p

8. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    :lol: This is great. Epibreren reminded me of a term I used when handling computer problems.

OI Error = Operator Input Error. When asked to help with something that was caused by user making a mistake when trying to save or install something I would be asked what caused the problem. As I walked away I would toss back rather superiorly "Oh, just an OI Error". This seemed to make them happy. :)

9. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Nakia: :lol:

In Danish we use the term "Fejl 40" (Error 40), meaning that the error is located 40 centimetres in front of the screen. :grin:

LKD likes this.
  10. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:

:lol: I love that. "Feji 40" :D My word, phrase for the day. Thank you.

11. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Here's a word that I like a lot. It's fun to try and say it many times quickly, as it's a bit of a tongue twister:

ob·fus·cate   /ˈɒbfəˌskeɪt, ɒbˈfʌskeɪt/ Show Spelled
    [ob-fuh-skeyt, ob-fuhs-keyt] Show IPA

–verb (used with object), -cat·ed, -cat·ing.
    1. to confuse, bewilder, or stupefy.
    2. to make obscure or unclear: to obfuscate a problem with extraneous information.
    3. to darken.

This word gets used a lot in technology circles, as often data needs to be "obfuscated" in order to protect sensitive personal information. But it certainly has applications outside of those circles. I've gotten quite good at pronouncing it. :)

---------- Added 0 hours, 2 minutes and 8 seconds later... ----------

A couple of other fun ones are:

PEBCAD (Problem exists between chair and desk)

And of course, the infamous ID-10T error!

LKD likes this.
  12. nior Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Heard the ID-10T error. We use the "UEP" before for IT hardware problems we can't determine or that seems to just pop up at random. UEP for "Unexplainable Electronic Phenomenon".

13. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    acquiese: To rest satisfied, or apparently satisfied, or to rest without opposition and discontent (usually implying previous opposition or discontent); to accept or consent by silence or by omitting to object; — followed by in, formerly also by with and to.

It's what you do when you are met with requirements, that you do know are impossible, but still do it anyway without raising the issue (and produce something that doesn't make anyone happy.)

14. Alorekent Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

New Word

Dermatoglyphics- study of fingerprints

15. Master of Nuhn

Media:
    Portmanteau: also "Blend" in English or "kofferwoord" (lit "suitcase word") in Dutch. A combination of 2 (or more) words in both meaning and spelling. Best known portmanteaus are most likely:
    Brunch - Breakfast combined with lunch
    Smog - Smoke and fog

I like that metaprocrastination. Makes me think of the Dutch (made up) verb Soggen. Translated to English that would be something like "to SAB". SAB is in this case the literal translation of the abbreviation SOG: Studie Ontwijkend Gedrag. (Study Avoiding Behaviour).

16. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    '`Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.'

The Jabberwocky is a perfect example! :lol:

Montresor likes this.
  17. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!

New word: katzenjammer:

1: The discomfort and illness experienced as the aftereffects of excessive drinking; hangover. 2. Uneasiness; anguish; distress. 3. Uproar; clamor

18. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Drabarni, Romanes for herbalist and diviner.

19. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

What is this, Roma?

For me, it was "Pomelo" - I thought that the actual name of the fruit was honey pomelo, it appears that was the name of the Chinese export company :) .

On the other hand, the pomelo varieties sold on the Western market tend to be sweeter and less bitter than the ones usually consumed in Asia, so the "honey" may actually be indicative of the local names of those sorts.

20. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Shenis :mommy:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.