1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Witcher - no spoilers please

Discussion in 'The Witcher Series' started by Subra, Feb 12, 2008.

1. Subra Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Veteran

This heir apparent to the Baldur's Gate series has been the most fun I've had with a PC game since BG2. You need really stout system specs to run it well but I love this game. I have spent more hours than I should playing it since I got it. The combat system is different but is fun once you get used to it. The storytelling is deep and broad. There are some issues with translation and the voice acting isn't the best - but its a game, not a movie, although this distinction is blurry in some cases.

There are a few path choices in the game that affect the plot development so most will want to run it at least 3 times to take the branches.

Character development is narrow - your persona is preset to be the hero from the novels it's based on, Geralt of Rivia. Although you can choose which particular skills and attributes to increase as the game progresses, eventually almost all of the available skills and attributes will be maximized. However there is no rule saying you have to spend all of your available increases if you want to play with some restrictions.

Load times are long but less after patching - ctd are infrequent after patching. Get the patch

I am dearly hoping for a sequel because this is the most fun I've had with pc game since I started gaming.

2. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    You know Subra, probably no-one has added to your thread because there are already a couple of threads out on the witcher. I do completely agree that it is a great game, and I was quite sad when the experience ended.

3. Erod Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Veteran

Enchanced Edition will be out soon, you will have more to play then.

4. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Registered users can download it for free as an update, says the e-mail.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2008
  5. Erod Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Veteran

Yep, it's free for those who already own the game. Some EE content will be released on the 16th of March, but the whole package has a release date two months later.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.