1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Witcher: Enhanced Edition Director's Cut

Discussion in 'Game/SP News & Comments' started by The Magister, Jul 15, 2009.

1. The Magister Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    [​IMG]Yes that's its full name. Anyway, it seems that CD Projekt has repackaged the game... again. This time including all the things they were forced to cut from the original game (i.e the game is longer then before and has slightly more content). The game will be available for download from various digital distributors, as well as a free upgrade to current owners of The Witcher: Enhanced Edition.
    Here's some basic Q&A from the announcement:

* What is The Witcher: Enhanced Edition Director’s Cut?
    The Director’s Cut is the version of the game our developers originally intended for you to play. It is essentially the same game that gamers around the world have experienced – now available legitimately for the first time in North America.

* Where will The Witcher: Enhanced Edition Director’s Cut be available?
    The Director’s Cut update will be available from TheWitcher.com and all applicable digital distributors in North America, including Steam, Impulse and Direct2Drive. We will announce the release date in the coming days, but as of that date, people who buy The Witcher: Enhanced Edition from digital distributors will be purchasing the Director’s Cut, as it will replace the existing Enhanced Edition on those sites.

* Will The Witcher: Enhanced Edition Director’s Cut obtained from digital distribution contain 1.5 patch features (i.e. additional adventures)?
    Yes, Director’s Cut version of the game will have all features of patch 1.5.

* Do I need The Witcher: Enhanced Edition to get the Director’s Cut?
    If you want to just install the patch to get the Director’s Cut content, then you do need The Witcher: Enhanced Edition. If you’re just buying The Witcher for the first time (or feel like buying it again!) then you can just purchase the product via Steam, Impulse, Direct2Drive, etc. as they will offer the Director’s Cut as a full product already patched to the latest version.

* I don’t live in North America or I imported a copy of the game from outside of North America. Should I get the Director’s Cut?
    You really already have the Director’s Cut if you have the international edition of the game and have installed the 1.5 patch!

* What is the age rating of The Witcher: Enhanced Edition Director’s Cut?
    The Director’s Cut has received an M rating from the ESRB, with Blood and Gore, Nudity, Strong Language, Strong Sexual Content and Violence.

You can find the oficial announcemt of the release here.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2015
  2. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    This is getting confusing...

So there's the regular NA version, the international version, the EE, the NA EE, the 1.5 patch for NA EE, the 1.5 patch for international EE, and the NA Director's cut which is identical to the 1.5 patch for international EE... did I miss anyone out?

3. Erod Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Veteran

Only if you want it to be confusing. Every edition of the game can be patched to the latest EE version. The Director's Cut edition is the uncensored version of the game for the NA market (= the same version that the rest of the world has).

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    There's a 500kb patch to enable blood in the NA version, so it's not really a big deal...

5. Erod Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Veteran

Oh, it is missing blood too? :rolleyes:

6. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Still positive news. They are working n the game even after release. How many times are we shipped of with only a patch or two.

7. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    I don't get why people slam CD Projekt so hard for these patches and special editions (I'm not talking about here, but go have a look at RPG Codex for example). They're all free patches anyway and CD Projekt is saying exactly what is in the box. Some of the naming might be a little over the top (Director's Cut for some addeds boobies and blood?) but I wouldn't exactly call it "hype" when the press release just states what's added. Even when 1.5 added those community-made adventures they didn't try to pass them as something exceptional they had done - they just said they were community made adventures, period. As Merlanni pointed out - the biggest problem with RPGs is that they stop being supported and are left with huge numbers of bugs (every RPG developer has been guilty of this since the late 80s!). The only exceptions I can think of are 3 games: Neverwinter Nights (which is still buggy even with the latest patch and 6 years of support!), Neverwinter Nights 2 and The Witcher. I say kudos to all 3 developers for actually still supporting their product. I wish other companies would do the same!

8. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Well, they do it because the sales numbers justify it, not out of the goodness of their hearts. The entire NWN series has been sold in literally a dozen of separate and combined releases that still bring in money for Atari and The Witcher (EE) has also been selling very well. Obviously the "re-release until kingdom come" tactic is working for Atari with The Witcher as well. I think most of the criticism (like on Codex) is more tongue-in-cheek, basically just to counter the somewhat overblown announcements by CDP.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2009
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.