1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The "Whines about games" -Thread

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Foradasthar, Jul 15, 2004.

1. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I didn't know a better name for this one. The idea here is to just pick any game you want and say what you find immensely wrong about it. All the better if people get into discussions over the same games. It's nice to see what 'bad things' different games and opinions different people have anyway.

Have fun, whine and bicker, and don't get insulted. It's time to let off some steam.

Battlefield 1942, Mods:
    Now, while I realise this isn't supposed to be a realistic massive wargame (the sort that I'd want), it still has the most appeal and potential thanks to the engine that allows for tanks and jetplanes and all at the same time. The only mod I play is Forgotten Hope, about the most realistic WWI-II mod there is. What I absolutely hate about this game is the stupid playerbase. BF1942's greatest problem is the virtual lag that is in the game. No matter how good your connection, how good the server, you always have to predict where the opponent will be at after about 0.5 seconds. Dodging is impossible since when you see something coming, it's actually already hit you. And when you shoot at a running soldier from 50 meters, you have to aim 10 meters before him. This is not that much of a problem alone. But the dumb playerbase desires maps that are designed only for infantry warfare. I mean, when the entire point of the engine and the game is that it allows equipment to be used realistically on the battlefield, then why throw that away and just play a laggy version of quake / counterstrike?

Alien vs Predator 2:
    Now this is something. The game has an atmosphere far exceeding any other multiplayer out there. The hunt and survivor and evac gamemodes have immense potential. But... the playerbase is filled with idiots. Idiots who exploit all the unbalanced weapons in the game like grenades, darts, snipers etc. But the biggest thing of all is the nonexistant control over the server. Only on a dedicated server may uncommon playernames be targeted and kicked (admins alone won't allow kicking names like "..*"#! lS"), but even then no autokicking is possible. Which means when admins are away, there are people who brag on marvelous achievements like -40 frags on every map. In general, the balancing of the races is extremely annoying. That a heavy predator can take only a few bullets before dying, or in the case of a sniper, not even one bullet, can really piss one off. Especially with the strange internal lag of the game known as "teleportation" and "ghostshots", effectively making people take 5 hits to head without dying, then teleporting 20 meters behind you and shooting your head off... nice going mighty pred (a worst case scenario, thought not that uncommon).

'Snipers in general':
    Why oh why do these things need to be in games? Any game I've ever tried, is dropped down by 3 at least in a 1-10 scorescale thanks to it. They never get it right. When every other weapon makes damage, why make one that kills? Sniper is always more accurrate than anything else, more powerful than anything else, faster than anything else, and works just as well as a knife in close combat and as artillery in long range. And most of all, unlike any other weapon, it never gives a chance to the target to defend or even know where the shot came from. Realistic perhaps, but not when you consider how difficult the weapon is in real life, and how easy in a game. Besides, there's a point where fun must exceed realism. What point is there to make such a weapon, when counterstrike (that horrible crud) proved years ago that 1 overpowered weapon like it would ruin the whole game. Not that the again very dumb playerbase would even notice, they just pick the same weapon and figure everything's ok.

Admins:
    It's like Douglas Adams said in his book, THHGtTG, how do you decide who's in charge. Those who want power have no clue as to how they should use it, and those who know how to use it, know the responsibility and thus don't want it. I am so sick and tired of the 13-yearold admins. 13-yearold because nobody else has enough time to play to get "reputation" the way they do, and nobody else would actually ignore the rules of their own server in such a way. Why I whine is because I would like the sort of system I believe America's Army had. One where each server had a 'rank', and so when one of them was filled with admins who kicked for doing anything from pointing out someone who broke the rules, to their own personal whim, then everyone would see the server for the load of crud it was. And hopefully the lack of players would shut it down.

The biggest problem? That I seem to be way too old for multiplayer games where the average player has yet to even develop any understanding of basic morals and ethics. And most are just out to get a reaction.

Now bring it on people! :D

2. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

That wouldn't be your native american name would it? :D

I can't really whine about your game foradasthar because I didn't play one of them.

I do want to say that I prefer the baldur's gate I & II D&D rules over the neverwinter nights and icewind dale II rules. Thaco is the best no matter if it doesn't make a lot of sense. I want my armor class to be -6 and not 24.

I want a Heroes of might and magic V to be more like 2 than like 4.

3. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

That was a good one. Only recently saw "Dances with wolves". :)

Anyway, at the risk of getting a certain Sorcerer angry, I want you to show more emotion. Really whine. Now that you have a chance to turn red, let words fly, and laugh on top of it, just give us some fury! Keep the spelling and language in check, though. ;)

4. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Natural Selection:
    A great FPS game with a touch of RTS in it. Again it's the familiar marines vs. aliens setting, but with a good atmosphere and rather good balance. Or so it was before the v3 beta builds. The balance has gone downhill with the aliens losing almost every match, the atmosphere has disappeared thanks to the developers that think a "good" game is always deathmatchy, and the new 'NS: Combat' -conviently packed with 'NS: Classic'- has made them both a compromise between a pure deathmatch and strategy. Or in other words: a bland mix of horse dung I refuse to play anymore. :mad:

Diablo II:
    Good game, has a lot of potential, and the Internet games can be really, really interesting especially in the harder difficulty. If just the general Diablo-player wasn't a teen with a sense of a caveman when it comes to teamplay. No matter what is the name of the game, it is just a vain hope to wish some decend gaming company. Frankly, I cannot see why people even bother visiting Battle.net when it is just a single-player mode with lag. Oh, almost forgot; that has been spoiled too with the latest patch. I guess Blizzard saw the same problem with the teamplay, so guess what they did? Raised the fricking difficulty to impossible in BOTH single- AND multiplayer modes. Just try playing alone versus insta-gibbing, lose-half-of-your-EXP -kind of enemies, and you'll be making a new frizbee sooner than you think. :nolike:

Warcraft 3:
    Yet another Blizzard game. Much anticipated, promised story and intense gameplay, and truth to tell: it grants these to a degree. The races are interesting and the story rather good, but think of a RTS, a RTS with blood and bollocks and all, with graphics suitable for kindergarden kids and strategic "diversity" of a rock, and you get this game. IMO, this is one game where you can see a whole lot of potential being wasted for nothing. :flaming:

I-think-I-will-take-a-walk-now-thank-you-very-much.

:p

5. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Alien Vs. Predator II: A game with so much potential but flawed in the extreme by the balance and net code (the way the game handles lag). When playing this game at a LAN with friends it is like you truely ARE an alien, predator or marine hunting your prey. Playing online is like beingp laced in a world where logic no longer exists and NOT aiming at your enemies results in you killing them.

Call of Duty: A brilliant first person experience for single player and multiplayer. However when it comes to multiplayer its the community or player base that lets it down. Some people demand that you use rifles only on a server and kick anyone who uses a sub-machiene gun or the light machiene gun type weapons. Sniping is realistic in the game however rifles are actually MORE accurate at long distance considering how a sniper rifle scope will 'wobble' whereas the standard bolt-action rifle does not.

Homeworld 2: For being such a letdown after Homeworld and Homeworld: Cataclysm. People loved the first two homeworld games for the storyline and the progress that the character made being able to carry over the entire fleet from the last mission. Homeworld 2 seemed like the entire Homeworld game was for naught where your civilization is on the brink and it's up to you to save their butt... again.

6. Wordplay Gems: 29/31

Deus EX 2: Invisible War
    Yet another good game with a mix of RPG and FPS, but in a simpler fashion than in the previous part. In *too* simple fashion. There are no longer skills to use, replaced by "bio-mods" that basically do the same thing but limiting your choise in them to 1 out of 3, whereas previously you could master them all. Okay, no big deal; if there weren't only so FEW of them, leading to the fact that halfway through game you no longer have any reason to develope the character, only blast your way through the levels as fast as possible to advance in the plot. Also, they have recycled some of the areas, which is fine by me, but at least they could had done *some* changes to the levels. Simple things like new NPC's and daylight/night-time changes -those would had made the world more living, but nooo...

I would give this game a rating of 9 if it weren't for that horrible AI the serie has been cursed with from the first part. The enemies have absolutely no team-work, they "tactics" are limited to 'run-here-shoot-run-again', or maybe 'alarm-run-shoot-repeat.' Thus, after wasting so much potential, it ends to be a game only a bit better than average. :rolleyes:

7. Fiatil Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

If you're looking for a good Battlefield mod, might I suggest Battlefield Pirates? I've never experienced the lag you're talking about in it, and it's a really fun mod, especially if you like pirates.

8. Abomination Gems: 26/31

Like pirates? Who would like pirates? They steal your stuff, talk with wierd accents and smell like fish.

9. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Call of Duty

I've played this game quite extensively for the last few months. I'm also in a clan (not too serious one though ;) ) so i get to see a lot of action. Abomination when you say that rifles are only allowed at a certain server, you're partialy correct. At most times there are various people on some server, who dont know each other, so there's masacre all over (if it's HQ, DM or TDM). However if the server isnt full and there are people on it who've played together many times before and being older than 13 years (or however much it takes to be a bit mature about it), they sometimes agree to only use rifles.
    The point is, it increases accuracy meaning. Most times it means one shot one kill (torso or head) and to shoot accurately you have to take aim (bringing your rifle to your cheek instead of shooting rambo-style) which dramaticaly decreses your speed, but is in turn deadly accurate.
    It doesnt happen all that often, mostly because of people who cant seem to understand to stop using machine-guns. It's also shows how good you are without the element of luck involved in the match.
    It can be quite frustrating if you dont feel like sniping at the time, or if you simply hate the "sportsmanship" way of shooting with a rifle.
    Myself i prefer to shoot snipers in their own field, it makes it all the more frustrating for them :lol: MP44, bringing it to the cheek and shooting down snipers from their own distance of few hundret meters.
    Speaking of this, it might be MP44 is overpowered. I can shoot snipers down easily with it. I also kill those crasy russian machineguns with 71 bullet magazine up close in combat. Key figure being good footwork of course. Plus, no matter what map you play or what gametype, there's always germans as a choice. The allies have to divide their focus between the american, british and the russian weapons, while zhe german always get to choose their favourite weapon, thats IMO the most versatile and thus the best weapon in the game. May be just because i'm quite trained it though :)

Rants, hmm. People playing SD (search&destroy) all the time. Description: You start as an ally or an axis soldier. Then you either defend your two key positions, or you have to plant a bomb to destroy them. There's time limit of 3 minutes for the attackers to plant. The key is that there's no respawn. When you die, you're dead for the rest of the round, so you'll be waiting for about 2 minutes (there's also 1 minute of set-off time for the bomb). It may be cool and all for some people, but i just dont like playing a careful game. I like to run around, meet enemies in close combat, so i can kill them more easily because of my (quite advanced i'd say :1eye: ) footwork. In SD however there's campers all the way to the enemy plant-position and usualy the most careful ones live the longest. People tend to walk crunched (knees bent).
    Some weapons arent that good at all, on the allied side. Britich for example dont have a decent melee weapon (close-range) They have Bren which is pretty accurate, but it tends to make them overconfident because it feels somehow solid, so you'll often be able to dispatch them in medium distances as well. The russians have a poor selection, only a scoped rifle, a normal rifle and the ultimate close-ranged machingun in the game. It sprays its bullets in really wide area (very innacurate), movement rate is one of the best, it holds 71 bullets (other close-range machine guns hold 32!) as well it shoots them very fast (more bullets at once = much greater chance of killing the guy). It aint too overpowered though, as long as you know how to deal with it. Never head on, either confuse him by circling him, or quickly lie down and send a few shots in the head. It also seems to have slower reaction time, when you meet a russians by suprise, both head on, he's the one that dies.
    It's a pretty well balanced game though, not truly extraordinary, but good enough. Also you can totaly 0wn n00bs if you're an experienced player ;) :lol:

10. Abomination Gems: 26/31

CoD is a pretty fun game online. I find the BAR to be far superior to the MP44 though. The BAR has a more revealing sight, I find it to be far more accurate and more powerful (even though it only holds a clip of 20).
    Just because the russians don't get a Light Machiene Gun it doesn't mean they're low on weapon stopping power. Their rifle is basically the same as the German (which is very accurate and powerful, only drawback being the slow rate of fire), their sniper is the best in the game (only sniper that allows you to reload a whole clip at a time rather than a single bullet) and their SMG... holy crap. You get 3 guys on your team charging in blazing away with those you'll take out an entire room - no sweat - however they are inaccurate at anything less than 30 meters.
    The Americans have good automatic weapons but their rifles let them down, sure the M1 and Colt are semi-automatic but the sights on them are view restricting and difficult to aim with, not to mention the M1 having the destinct *PING!* when you're out of ammo, basically telling everyone "Come get me!". The Thompson has good accuracy and has the most powerful SMG bullets.
    British lose on everything but the Light Machiene Gun. Their rifle is difficult to aim with and isn't very powerful compared to it's Russian and German counterparts (neck shot and headshot are the only one hit kills with the British rifle). The Sten SMG is pathetic, it is fairly accurate but is nearly as weak as the Russian and lacks the Russian rate of fire and clip size. The Bren Light Machiene Gun is the only 'good' weapon the British hold. It is accurate without looking down the scope, it is semi-accurate when running and firing full-automatic and is a fairly powerful gun. Its only disadvantage is that the thing is HUGE and takes up heaps of your screen.

Still, CoD is a great game simply because of the realisim in the accuracy and movement of the characters. The single player is a real blast and is worthy of praise.

11. Gothmog

Hey, abomination, how about a match to prove the superiority of the MP44 uber alles? :evil:

It must be morning there at your place, i hope you aint going to work or school.

Results follow, to avoid being too offtopic it's in the PMs from now on. Whoever wins, one must lose, so there'll be a weapon to whine about ;)

12. Abomination Gems: 26/31

A competition wouldn't be fair. We would need to have an equal ping server and we're obviously not going to find one. Let's just say my 53 kills for 4 deaths on a 9v9 TDM game proves my point? :p

13. Gothmog

Oh, my! :eek:
    Either you're a totaly asskicking expert, or they were total, utter n00bs that played FPS for the first time. Awsome score! (btw, were you skulking and slithering your way all over the place and placing really backstabbing ambushes all the time? :p )

Hmm, my best score is with MP44, naturaly. Harbour 15vs15 TDM played for 20 minutes. Had nearly 80 (78iirc) kills, but my deaths werent nowhere near one digit either ;)

It's true, though, on the server i play on, you'd have much higher ping, since they're in the country i'm in, wouldnt really be fair. Too bad :(

14. Darkthrone Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Deus Ex2. I agree to some extent with Wirhe. Except for the bit where he says it is a good game. It is not. It is not even tolerable, even less so if you know the first part. There's no challenge anywhere. You just use the sniper rifle and take 'em all away. For the bots and templars you just switch on this rocket exploding mod thingy and they kill themselves. Any further modding your character is wasted. The AI is the most terrible I've ever encountered. Five years after UT. Sheesh.

The graphics are limited, the maps are small - all due to the Xbox portation. But still they managed to develop a game hungry for high end gear and with seemingly endless loading times between the levels.

The story? I was sympathetic for myself for having to read such uninspired crap. Trivial, to say the least. They advertised great replayability and how you had to chose your path for a totally different outcome of the story. And then what? You find yourself in the last level - and you still have all freedom to choose! I saw all endings in a row by killing different leaders each time I reloaded my last save game. No need to replay the game at all...

If there hadn't been Half Life, System Shock, Unreal or even Doom, it could have been interesting to a certain extent.

Nah, not really...

15. Wordplay Gems: 29/31

Or then you simply choose cloaking from bots and bot domination: they can't see you, and you just need a few seconds to disable them completely. Speaking of easy... :shake:

But there IS some challenge, in the last level. Without ammo. Until you take cloaking from humans; literally a walk in the park after that.

16. Abomination Gems: 26/31

Hard to say Gothmog. I often will play the style for the first gun I chose at the start. Skulking around if it's bolt action or charging around like a madman if it's a SMG. When I've 'obtained' my two weapons of choice (probably a Kar and a Thompson) I will simply vary my style. If I'm outside and in the open, out comes the Kar. If I'm between buildings with lots of corners, Thompson it is.

I've managed to aquire a brilliant aim recently, being able to 'flick' my view right at someone just by sound alone. Combine that with a Kar and you've got an instant kill from anywhere.

Last night even I managed to flank the opposing team so well I bashed (melee attack) 7 of them in a row without taking a hit. Was beautiful :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.