1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Sucky Music Thread

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Disciple of The Watch, Nov 17, 2005.

1. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Not a fan of American screamo-hardcore-post hardcore-whatever stuff, especially the stuff that blatantly rips off Swedish metal. Major exception is Killswitch Engage, cos Adam D's tone and playing is superb. I think they've been dumbing down their music lately though - time to step it up again.

Emo: No. Take your music and haircuts elsewhere.

Techno, dance and all its variants: The worst form of music ever. Give me Vivaldi any day.

Rap: Pretty much neutral here. I'll never listen to it but if it's on radio I won't change the channel.

Alternative rock: genre is too broad to comment. Generally the verse-chorus-verse-chorus-bridge-chorus thing bugs me. Surprisingly I don't mind pop-punk. It's a lot of fun to sing to when you're pissed seven ways from sunday.

2. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I really don't get people to bitch out genres when genres are so useful - I have not heard a single rap song that I like - therefore, I can safely say that rap is crap. Show be rap I like and I'll like it.
    On the other hand, when I heard metal I liked, I was 'Hey! Let's find more metal - metal seems good!' - if you know what genres you like and dislike, you know what to look out for.

Now for my listing:

Pop-punk - hate it, and it's a total oxymoron. 'Punk' by definition cannot be 'pop'.

Pop - banal crap.

Pop-rock - like Matchbox 20 or Coldplay. It's ... lifeless. Uninteresting. Crappy. A very limited amount is okay.

Country - Bleh.

Rap - Is a horrible, horrible noise about nothing.
    Hip-hop - Is quite lame

R'nB - this one's a poppy horrible noise about nothing with crappy beats thrown in.

Black metal - I've tried it, but it just doesn't work for me. It is at least respectable though

Post-Grunge - The majority of bands that fall under this genre are terrible. Noteable exceptions being Silverchair and old Fuel.

Christian rock/whatever - this is not a genre. It's some other genre with happy Christian lyrics. Lyrics do not make something deserving of its own genre. (not that the music need be bad, I just hate that label)

3. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

My turn :evil:

Punk - grew out of that and none of you know what punk was and before you flame me if you weren't a teenager in 1975 in the UK like I was you can't know :)
    Metal - sentimental values only for the good times they did roll

But I still hate both kinds of music Country and f*****g Western, if I'm ever found in a place that only plays this sort of drivel someone take me outside and shoot me.

4. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I wonder about genre lines. Where is the difference between hiphop and rap for you? Or between country and western?

Most of you seem not to know good rap music. Yeah, the charts are full of that pimp-stuff. But that's not all there is. Try Dilated People, Jurassic 5, Talib Kweli or The Roots. Eminem and Missy Elliot are good, too. And the Beastie Boys are pure geniuses.

5. DarkStrider

@Fabius Maximus you missed the influence of Dr Dre his album 2001 is still one of my favourites and as a producer he's outstanding.

6. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31

Yeah, I left old school artists out. A Tribe Called Quest, NWA, Public Enemy, Grandmaster Flash, etc.
    All great artists.

But I wanted to counter the "pimp" argument with contemporary interpreters.

7. DarkStrider

8. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I'm intrigued by Aikanaro's challenge to find a 'rap' song he/she would like. I'll through out Blondie's Rapture onto the turntable (remember those, kids?).

@DS - Though I'm not English, but am old enough, I can appreciate the punk generators from the 70s. :cool:

9. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    I'm not sure what you mean by "little" - American bands that have few players? Or maybe American bands that have short players?

10. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31

'Little' talent, perhaps?

Huh, I overread this one. It should be one with guitars. Maybe something from Cypress Hill?

Or 'Sabotage' by the Beastie Boys.

11. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

@kuemp: Heh, I can't deny that. But flea markets sometimes hold treasures - that's where I got most of my vinyls.

Blech... Cypress Hill... my ex's sister was a fan of them. I heard Rock Superstar un unbelievable number of times...

12. Undertaker Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Oh, you're wrong here. Aside metal there is jazz, classical music (Wagner! - the grandfather of heavy metal!!! :D ), rock, hard rock, even punk.
    @DotW: yeah! we are true matallers :D :evil:
    @Saber: about nu-"metal", word :thumb: (but I use to say: evil!, heresy!, blasphemy!, burn!, die! :evil:

BTW lets create Random Music Post :D
    EDIT: oh and before anyone calls me narrowminded keep in mind that at primary school I was an outsider because I was listening to "evil" music. But I have resisted!
    And even now I can't watch MTV or listen to radio without hearing all this commercial c*** :mad: So pleas don't call me narrowmind.

13. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    I mean these ten a penny rock bands like Blink 182, Green Day, My Chemical Romance and these opther whiney talentless rubbish that only 14 year old little teeny boppers like. 'Little' is a figure of speech really.

14. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31

You can easily be narrowminded about your position as an outsider. ;)

15. Disciple of The Watch

@Undertaker: Yeah! Metal 4 ever!

@Barmy: Heh, I couldn't agree more.

16. Undertaker Gems: 27/31

\m/(><)\m/ Brutal death metal! Rahhh!! Gore owns you posers. Metal for ever!

17. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    In no particular order, my pet hates:
    - Justin Timberlake
    - Ricky Martin
    - "Boys Bands" (I'm trying to think of an exception... nope none)
    - Britney, Christina, and the like (do you call that SINGING??? It's more like torture as far as I'm concerned)
    - Most metal (I admit some of it is quite good though)
    - Rap/hip-hop/R&B and other derivatives. Though what R&B has to do with either Rythm or Blues is beyond me.
    - Anything "mainstream" that comes close to any of the above.

I admit I've got rather particular and specific tastes in music (and just about anything in fact), but that doesn't change the fact that people listed on top of this list simply cannot sing. Neither can I for that matter, but I don't get paid billions to do it in the first place.

18. Undertaker Gems: 27/31

I must dissagree with you, there are some excellent metal SINGERS (yes, they sing), Liv Kristine, Matt Barlow, and maaany others.
    As for the rest I agree, they can't sing (and they sing from playback on concert - you can't dance/do complicated choreographic moves and sing at the same moment, it's impossible, look at the sport people, they have problems with catching breath after extension)

19. Disciple of The Watch

Matt Barlow is a GOD! Too bad he is no longer with Iced Earth... Ripper is a good vocalist though... and Liv Kristine... :love: she's a goddess. Another goddess is Kicki Höijertz :love:

Messiah Marcolin is one hell of a vocalist. Vincent Cavanagh is a good one too. I like the older stuff.

But anything that plays on MTV lacks of essence... music with the intent of only the cash it can bring in. :rolleyes: These suckers should die.

20. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Matt Barlow? Isn't he that loser from Take That? Or was that Gary Barlow? Or Ken Barlow? They all sound like weaners.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.