1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Story of the Stave - Part One

Discussion in 'Creativity Surge' started by Ancalìmon, Jan 31, 2003.

1. Ancalìmon Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

2. Dalveen

Dalveen Rimmer gone Bald Veteran

Media:
    As Melfdale and Kibrani walked down the street Iliith'Hen and Glamrod came running up with 10 guards following them.
    "Its alright child we have dealt with the Ulder'Geìn, I did not know there kind wandered so far from the stave used to summon them, which is usually planted out in the wilderness so the deamon can attack passer-bys" informed Melfdale
    "Err, u mean this stave?" replyed Iliith'Hen while pulling the stave out of her pack
    "Hmm, what made you pick up this stave in the first place?" enquired Melfdale
    "Well it kind of called out to me to pick it up" said Iliith'Hen embarisingly
    "A usual trick used by Ulder'Geìn if they ever want to move position" replyed Melfdale "Well if you going anywhere it looks like Kibrani and I will have to go with you to protect and guide you as you have very little knowlegde of the world"
    With that said the guards returned to there post and Kibrani, Iliith'hen, Glamrod and Melfdale wandered out of the town after Melfdale managed to get quite a sum for his house and now usless belongings.

3. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

From his vantage point from the top of the manor, Callain watched with interest as the dagger drove through the Ulder'gein's neck, as an elf bowman trembled in fear. Callain was not sure, but he suspected the elf had soiled himself. Leaning further out he realised he hadn't, as the elf was walking with comfortable ease. A young woman produced herself from the shadows, the one who had evidently hurled the dagger. Together the two walked away from the scene, but not before twelve guards managed to catch up with them. No, not twelve, ten. The elf and dwarf leading them wore no uniforms. The dwarf was stout, and obviously hardy. He was leaning carelessly on a twin headed battle axe. The elf beside him was his complete opposite, tall and slight, and he walked with an almost catlike grace.

The dwarf waved the guards away as they came within sight of the dead creature. They shrugged and returned to their posts. Strange, Callain thought, the guards would normally have begun a full investigation where they stood. Something was definately out of the ordinary. They even ignored the already decomposing Ulder'gein. His instinct as an assassin told him to leave the scene, and leave quickly. He almost crept away, but he couldn't help but seem intrigued by the quartet now walking together down the street.

Swiftly, Callain grabbed his bow and made closer for the edge. With practised ease, he leapt from the building. As the ground came at him he tucked himself into a ball and rolled. As soon as he was up, he hugged the shadows, and followed the already distant quartet....

4. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    "In here," said Kibrani, opening a door. The others just had time to read the sign as they passed inside: The Drunkard's Dream. She led the way through the tavern to a booth along one wall, where she slouched into the seat the afforded a view of the whole room, and the door. A skinny young man with acne brought over bread, four skewers of meat, and a large pitcher of beer. Kibrani didn't speak again until she had finished eating.

"Now, before we go too far, don't you think we should know where we're going and what it is we might be facing?" She fixed Melfdale with a hard stare.

5. Ancalìmon Gems: 14/31

Dalveen, Iliith'Hen is male and not really a child anymore, about 18-20 years old. Glamrod is about 45 years old and a fierce warrior, so I don't like them running actually. Let's say they fought with the Ulder'Geìn and Melfdale and Kibrani helped finishing the beast off, ok?
    Furthermore, I would like that the Stave remains a mystery for now, wich means they don't know were the Ulder'Geìn came from. the story is about the stave so don't go and give an explanation for it yet. Otherwise it'll be very short, not? ;)

[ February 03, 2003, 11:16: Message edited by: Ancalìmon The Wise ]

6. Rallymama Gems: 31/31

Media:
    ok, let's rewind and re-group for a minute...

Iliith'Hen and Glamrod make their stand in the street... Melfdale provides arrow-fire support... Kibrani steps out of the shadows, ready to backstab... End result, the thing is dead in the street. Ugly body, quickly beginning to decompose. No treasure or hints as to where it came from or why it's there. Callain watches the whole encounter from a rooftop.

...and continue:

The four stood in the street, breathing heavily as they watched the shadow's form first become briefly visible, then melt away. The sound of booted feet running towards them shook them alert.

"What's going on here? Why the commotion?" The gaurdsman tried to look authoritative as we surveyed the scene. When he saw Kibrani trying to slip back into the shadows, he grabbed her shoulder. "Not so fast, missy! I thought we told you to keep your sticky fingers in your pockets and stop bothering people!" He turned to the others. "I'll lock this one up if she's been bothering you."

"Not at all, Captain, not at all," Iliith'Hen replied smoothly. "As a matter of fact, we're new to town and had just hired her as our guide. She was about to recommend somewhere we could dine and get lodgings."

The guard looked skeptical but released Kibrani with a shove. He and the others continued down the street with a few backward glances at the group. Iliith'Hen smiled at Kibrani. "Well, lead on."

cut back to the table at the Drunkard's Dream

7. Dalveen

Media:
    ok soz about that we'll stick to rallymama's version then
    ill make another post or just stick with what rallymama put in her version?

8. Ancalìmon Gems: 14/31

Everything is absolutely perfect now!

continuing as of the table in the drunkard's dream:

Iliith'Hen could not find an appropriate answer to this question. He just sat there, staring at Glamrod's ale. After a minute's silence, Glamrod replied: "I found this stave on the side of the road, it was lying next to a broken chest. Ever since we took it with us, we travel in fear. It is as if the devil's own eye is looking upon our shoulders. We felt as if followed. When we entered town, we went to a tavern, I can't remember its exact name." "That must have been the Dragon's Horn, a place often filled with an assortiment of remarkable folk, and grizzly trophies." Kibrani replied. "Indeed, it was." Glamrod said. "I saw a large horn hanging over the fireplace, probably were the tavern's name comes from. When we entered, everybody inside stared at us. We felt very uncomfortable. We asked for a room and a drink, but the patron would only serve us if we would help the town with some unknown problems." "Problems?" Kibrani looked very worried. "Yes, problems. We refused, we are only simple travelers. After that, he asked us to leave the tavern. I did not like the man's tone, and he laughed at us, the whole tavern did. My elven friend could barely contain himself, he looked as if he was about to kill the patron. Then we just left and we were attacked by this foul beast." "I think I know what they meant with those 'problems'", Kibrani said...

[ February 03, 2003, 17:36: Message edited by: Ancalìmon The Wise ]

9. Rallymama Gems: 31/31

Media:
    :eek: "I do?!" gulped Rallymama in surprise. "uh, ok... how's this?" ;)

Kibrani toyed with the remains of her bread. When she finally spoke, it was in a low voice.

"That thing in the street - others have been seen over the past few weeks. Unfortunately, they've never been seen by the guards. You saw how the body melted away before they could come. And there have been other sightings, always accompanied by someone's disappearance. Until a few days ago it had been only whores and orphans so no one cared, but the latest victim was the lady's-maid to the head Alderman's wife."

She looked up from her plate and her face was hard. "I really don't care how loudly the fat lady screams about her maid. One of those whores was my sister, and I aim to find her. Melfdale, you seem to know something of these creatures - does this hold true to your lore?"

[ February 03, 2003, 20:11: Message edited by: Rallymama ]

10. Ancalìmon Gems: 14/31

"Then I insist we help you looking for her!" Iliith'Hen suddenly replied, snapping out of his silence. "You helped us kill the demon, now we shall help you! It is the least I can do!" Glamrod nodded and smiled. Kibrani was surprised by the words of the elf, who hadn't said a word since they entered the bar. "thank you...", she said silently, almost whispering to herself. There was a brief silence. Suddenly they heard their names in a far corner of the tavern. A small person could be seen there. he was asking something to another man sitting on a chair. the man answered the small person, but they could not hear anything of the conversation. Suddenly the man raised himself and pointed at the quartet. The small man turned his head in their direction too, and walked to them. As he came closer, it became clear the man was a dwarf. He had a long, brown beard and a friendly face. He smiled. Glamrod seemed to recognise the dwarf, and the following moment he ran towards him. The two men fell in each other's arms. The rest looked very surprised. "Huargin, my brother! It is good to see you! How long has it been?" "Far too long, Glamrod!" the dwarf replied. The two men came back to the table, were the rest still sat, confused. "This man is my brother!", Glamrod said. "Greetings, travelers. I already heard a lot of you, although you have just arrived." Huargin said. The group now started a long conversation, accompanied by a year's harvest of ale. It was late when they hired a room in the tavern and went to bed.

They learned Huargin was a skilled weaponsmith, having his shop to the edge of the town. They agreed to go to his shop tomorrow, to buy equipment.

-end of the day-

The next morning, ...

11. The Kilted Crusader

Callain leaned back against the tavern wall. He was now wearing a blue shirt and dark grey trousers. He felt slightly uncomfortable in the garments compared to his preferred black. The absence of his bow was also irking him.

Callain had been waiting for the party he'd seen the night before to leave the tavern. Judging by the sun he made out he had waited two hours since 7 o'clock. Callain rubbed his neck. The skin was beginning to burn. It was no suprise, for it had not seen the sun for several years, having been hidden under the wrapped maroon cloth Callain used as a hood.

He watched with little interest as the market began to fill with merchants and gullible tourists. The stalls were filled with fruit, cakes, all manner of clothing and even a small weapon stall. Callain wandered the market, frequently glancing back to the tavern.

He approached the nearest stall and bought a single apple. Callain flipped a coin to the merchant, snatching a second apple as the merchant's eyes were distracted.

Callain glanced back once more to the tavern, in time to see four leave. Taking a bite from the apple, Callain followed once more...

12. Rallymama Gems: 31/31

Media:
    The breakfast provided by the inn was hot, filling, and completely tasteless. They downed it quickly, then Kibrani expained what she knew as they headed towards Haurgin's smithy.

"The attacks began almost a month ago, at the dark of the previous moon. At first only beggar-children were targetted, and several attacks failed when gangs of children swarmed the beasts. They seemed to learn from their mistakes, though, and all subsequent attacks have been against those foolish enough to walk alone. No one was taken for three days around the full moon and we started to breathe easier, but the attacks resumed and have been happening more frequently as we near the dark again. My sister was taken six days ago.

"The children who managed to escape told me of waves of cold terror that emanated from the beast. They also said that blows that would kill a man - in the eye or the chest - hurt this beast but did not stop it. The only place to land the death-blow was at the back of the neck. Again I ask, Melfdale - you seem to know something of these beasts. Does this information match your lore?"

[ February 04, 2003, 04:16: Message edited by: Rallymama ]

13. Dalveen

Media:
    "Yes it does" replyed Melfdale, "but it is very unusual for them to not kill on site as you saw the one that attack us tryed to do"
    the group walked towards Huargin smith to stock up on arrows for Melfdale and a few throwing daggers for Kibrani.
    "its a very unusual bow you have there Melfdale, where did you get it?" enquired Huargin
    "It was a gift from my father before he was killed battling a deamon while trying to save my mother and I" replyed Melfdale sadly remembering his dead father
    "Im very sorry for you" said Kibrani in a carring tone
    "no need to dwell on the past, is this you shop here?" asked Melfdale

14. The Kilted Crusader

Callian watched the four walk into the smithy. There were no windows for Callain to watch from outside and so he waited. He became uneasy as he waited minute after minute. The fact that he couldn't monitor them bothered him. He swore softly and scooped up his bag containing his assassin garments and strolled into the smithy. The moment he walked in he knew he had made a mistake, as the smithy was only a small room that put him in plain view as soon as his shadow had touched the door frame. There was nothing for it but to continue on his plan.

Callain walked over to the ballistic stack, casually picking up a small crossbow and smoothly running his hand over the wings. It was suprisingly light and well balanced. He noticed there were no stirrups to place the feet in for reloading. Callain turned the crossbow over in his hands, finding two strange holes at the base of the wings. Slowly he placed his fingers in the hole. The wings shot back with a quiet snap. The sound almost made Callain jump. He clicked the wings back to their original position and replaced it on the rack. Callain risked a glance back at the party.

As he turned he swore in his mind. The elf was watching him, his steady eye never leaving Callain's own. Callain flashed a smile and returned his eye to the rack...

15. Ancalìmon Gems: 14/31

"Strange..." Iliith'Hen whispered to himself. "I could have sworn I saw that man steal a bow..." Anyway, Iliit'Hen started observing the various weapons and items on the shelves. In front of him was a large battleaxe. It was highly detailed, about 5 feet long, and fine Dwarven words were etched into the blade. He became facinated by the weapon, and as he looked even more closely, he could see a faint golden shine emminating from the weapon. "Interested?" Huargin asked Iliit'Hen. "Have you made this weapon?" Iliith'Hen said. "It is magnificent."
    "Aye, I did. I worked on it for more than a year." Huargin replied. "Could I ask something, Huargin? What do these words on the blade mean?" "Durgan Hern Gel Sennedho: 'Let thy purpose be true'. But I have to dissapoint you, master elf. It is not for sale, for it is my own weapon." "I understand" Iliith'Hen replied. He continued observing the other weapons. But between all the magnificent weaponry, Iliith'Hen saw an old and dusty scimitar, covered with spiderwebs. He walked towards it, and took it in his hand. It felt surprisingly light and balanced. It was a very simple weapon and it looked very old. But Iliith'Hen could see that the blade was still razor-sharp. He made a couple of swipes, and then he said to Huargin: "I'll take this one." Huargin looked surprised. "This old scrap? Well, that'll be 25 gold pieces..." "Iliith'Hen payed, and then he asked: "What is the weapon's name?" "It hasn't got a name", Huargin said. You'll have to name it". Iliith'Hen was silent for a short while. Finally, he said: "I shall call it Sillith'Jern Leth; 'Renewed Glory'." Very good name, master elf." Then Huargin walked away to the rest. After an hour, Glamrod had bought a shiny platemail, Kibrani a beautiful dagger, and Melfdale a masterwork bow. Huargin wished the party good luck, and so they left. They went to the busy market, and bought some food. "It is time we talk about what we are going to do now, friends." Kibrani said. "Follow me." ...

You guys now!

16. Rallymama Gems: 31/31

Media:
    Kibrani knelt and sketched a quick map in the dust. "I've tracked where and when each attack has happened. You can see that they're spreading out as time passes, but they're still all roughly centered here - around the "

(no, that's NOT a typo! ;) R.)

[ February 07, 2003, 15:35: Message edited by: Rallymama ]

17. The Kilted Crusader

"-Forest Of Berwin." interrupted Callain from behind the thief, "It lies only a few miles from the town."

"And who might you be?" inquired the elf who had first seen him in the armoury. His voice held a polite coldness about it. Callain realised he was not welcome among these folk.

"My name is E'gal." said Callain, reffering to his grandfather's name, "I noticed you may need a slightly better scout than this fellow," he said motioning at Melfdale, "considering he hasn't noticed his shirt is buttoned wrongly." Melfdale reddened slightly as he turned away to rebutton his shirt. The dwarf roared with laughter,

"Yer most welcome lad," he said. The elf who's face was once cold, warmed and stifled a slight chuckle. The thief who was kneeling had a face of puzzlement. Silently, she shaped "callain" across her lips. Callain disguised his nod by looking up to heaven, and down again...

18. Dalveen

Media:
    Read post above

[ July 28, 2004, 20:21: Message edited by: Dalveen ]

19. Rallymama Gems: 31/31

Media:
    Kibrani tried to hide her confusion by rising slowly and dusting her breeches. To suddenly have so much assistance in her efforts to find her sister – while she was grateful for the help, she couldn’t stop herself from wondering why they all arrived at the same time. Iliith’Hen and Glamrod, travel-scarred as they were, still retained enough youth to be straightforward in their dealings, so she didn’t doubt they were who they claimed to be. Melfdale was a bit of a mystery. Why would a wood-elf of his years be living in town? And just how did he learn so much about these Elder-Groin things, anyway?

But Callain… No, better think of him as E’gal – far be it from me to blow his cover. Word in the alleys and taverns is that he never goes anywhere except for a job, and never does a job except for a price. I wonder who is paying his price now?

“You’re right, E’gal, the forest is the center. Unfortunately, I’m more at home climbing walls than trees, so I didn’t think I should head there directly. I was hoping to be taken as the next victim – that’s why I was in the street last night.” She paused and scanned the faces of the others. “But now that you’re all here, does anyone have a better plan?”

[ February 09, 2003, 05:33: Message edited by: Rallymama ]

20. The Kilted Crusader

"I don't have a better plan than that," shrugged Callian. He turned to the others and was recieved with a series of shaking heads.

"why not wander closer to the woods though." said Melfdale, "there isn't anything more tempting than a young woman walking the wilderness alone."

"Sounds good big ears," said Callain. Glamrod gave a slight chuckle. "I will meet you at the gates in an hour, my friends." With that he turned, and walked swiftly down the nearest alley to slip into his darker fatigues...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.