1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Story of The Stave: Chapter one

Discussion in 'Creativity Surge' started by Ancalìmon, Jun 9, 2003.

1. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
  2. Ancalìmon Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

3. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

(I have returned from a 5-day absence. I hope that you do well on your exams, Ancky, and congrats on your 500th post. Oh, yeah, and I'm hijacking your part of the story again. Oops.)

There were three elite members of Lord Sadi's guard. But they had plans of their own. They were allies. Comrades. Brothers. The Keepers.

"I suspect," whispered the First, "that the Stave is resonsible for the charring of Tarsk."

"I suspect so too," replied the Second, stopping to take off his helmet and wipe the sweat from his brown, matted hair.

"Perhaps it is a coincidence," said the Third, shaking his head and examining an axe, "perhaps the fire is nothing but a harbinger of the Stave."

"The point is moot," said the First, "we all know that we were assigned by the Great Keeper to do what we were supposed to do, in the guise of these noble soldiers."

"Mmm," nodded the Third in agreement, "The Stave is to be destroyed. And those who touch it. For the greater balance."

Said the Second, "Alas, Third, if the rest of our unsuspecting comrades had the dedication as us!"

The First gave him a disapproving glance. "Be not proud in your youth, Second."

"Yes, First."

The stentorian voice of Sadi rang out. The Third jerked his eyebrows in surprise. Had he overheard?

"Time for rations!"

Of course not.

(I apologize for any interference I may have started with your ideas for the story. Tell me if I have done so. And on a side note, I keep forgetting what destroyed Tarsk. What was it again?)

(By the way, the First, Second, and Third is, of course, a group who knows a bit of the Stave. I request you to keep them alive until they can reveal what they intend to do. Sorry if I have interfered, again.)

4. Ancalìmon Gems: 14/31

(at last my exams are over! I didn't post a new part becouse I partied all weekend, so I didn't touch my computer. Oaz, it's okay what your're doing with those three guys. You control them! I'm gonna bring in Sadi now so we can finally continue! Oh, and it was Drogul who destroyed Tarsk, see previous posts for more info.)

It was a long journey all the way from Eaglewatch to Tarsk. The troops were getting tired, and there was very bad weather coming. Black clouds were darkening the sky, it wouldn't take long before the storm would start. They had been walking for three days straight, with only a few stops to eat and sleep a few hours. In about half an hour, they would arrive at Tarsk. Sadi had ordered his troops to get ready for battle, he knew Drogul would still have a small army in the city.

The city was quit, and there were no signs of activity. The army slowly moved in, cautiously advancing.

"I don't trust this at all. Our spied told us Drogul would still be here." said Sadi.
    Lelldrin didn't say anything. His face was hidden behind his helm. He just grumbled something.

Suddenly, the forward scout returned to report to Sadi. He was running very fast and looked exhausted. But before he could say anything, his throat was penetrated by an arrow. The man fell to the ground, choking in blood.

"The enemy!!!" Lelldrin roared and pulled his greatsword.

Several more soldiers got hit and killed by arrows, and soon the whole army was in chaos. Almost defenceless against the arrows, wich seemed to come out of nowhere, the formation crumbled.

Then, Drogul's army attacked. A huge force came storming out of the town centre. But, to everyone's surprise, Drogul's army was not a human one. Hundreds and hundreds of Goblins in black platemails attacked them, screaming and roaring. Lelldrin reorganised his army, and led them to battle. The clash of the two armies was immense. At least fifty soldiers died in the clash. Lelldrin's army was much better organised, but the Goblins just kept coming and coming. And with the battle, the storm had begun.

Sadi was too surprised to notice the elf, a women, a dwarf and a human observating the fight...

5. Oaz Gems: 29/31

The First drew a bloodied sword from the gut of a dying goblin. The second cried in shock as an arrow pierced his breastplate - and almost his heart. The Third sank his axe into the head of another enemy. The crunch that resounded made him wince, if only just a little bit. He raised it again, ready to strike, but he paused.

"Wait," the Third whispered to his comrades, "do you feel that?"

The First turned to the Third, and spear pierced his calf. The First raised his sword, but the goblin had already dodged out of the way. The First ignored him.

"The Stave. It's here."

The Second backed up from a fellow soldier's corpse, and met with his comrade Keepers.

"Pfaugh. How inconvenient."

The First's voice became hushed, and he waved his sword at a pair of incoming goblins.

"We will take care these little goblins first. Then we will deal with the possessors of the Stave."

The Third was holding up one of Sadi's soldiers now, staunching a grevious wound from an arrow.

"Agreed."

6. Rallymama Gems: 31/31

Media:
    The army’s approach was neither unique nor subtle. Their presence was first announced by the cloud of dust they raised, then by the glinting of the sun on their armor, then by the sounds they made: clopping hooves, creaking wagons, tramping feet, clanking weapons. It wasn’t much of a spectacle, though, and the group returned to their camp, speculating idly about what the army could be doing.

Drogul’s attack took everyone by surprise, and they scrambled to a small hill overlooking the ruined city. The battle quickly degenerated into chaos as the waves of ambushing goblins broke against the army’s formations. Glamrod secured his helm and started to descend the hill, but Callain stopped him.

“Wait until we see how things develop. We don’t know who’s fighting, nor why.” Glamrod shook Callain’s restraining hand from his arm.

“All I need know is that that army is fighting goblins. That’s good enough for me!” Drawing his axe, he ran down the hill and waded into the fray. Shaking his head, Callain followed by a more surreptitious path.

“This explains why you couldn’t find a trail to follow,” Illith’Hen said, turning to Lefkl, “they never left. But how could they remain concealed?”

There was no answer from the sorcerer. His eyes glowed red as he intoned a simple chant in a soft language that sounded more like tree branches rustling in a coming storm than words. One gnarled finger inscribed a circle in the air. He spoke a sudden word of command and gestured sharply towards the battle. The dust raised by the fighting began to coalesce and take form. A squad of goblins was quickly swallowed up by the rising dust.

Kibrani drew Illith’Hen’s attention back to the fighting. “That must be the leader,” she said, pointing to a group of footsoldiers who surrounded a mounted figure. “He’s not going to get out of this on his own – there are too many goblins and those guards are dropping too quickly. If you can cover me, I can bring him back here.”

Illith’Hen nodded and strung his bow. When he looked again Kibrani was nowhere to be found, but he noticed that some goblins were falling without seeming to be in active combat. A grin spread across his face as he fired volley after volley of arrows into the battle. Lefkl stepped to his side and added several glamours and illusions to the confusion.

On the ground, Kibrani had a few close calls as she worked her way through the goblins towards the mounted man. It was easy to slay them from behind, focused as they were on the army ahead of them. “Thank the powers that be, they haven’t enough brains to do more than follow the last order they were given,” she thought. One goblin turned as she struck her knife home, deflecting the blade and forcing her to slit its throat with her left hand. Another swung wildly at her but stumbled when she dodged. Its sword bit into her thigh before she could ram both knives into its kidneys from behind. Hearing its comrade scream, another turned her way with a huge mace raised. It fell when an arrow blossomed from its throat, and she spared a thought of thanks for Illith’Hen’s sharp eyes.

A cry in the coarse goblin-tongue went up as the last line of footsoldiers broke and the goblins swarmed towards the mounted man. His warhorse fought valiantly but could not stop the goblins from pulling it to the ground. In their lust for battle and fresh horseflesh, they didn’t notice Sadi roll away. He quickly realized that his best hope for survival lay in escape rather than conquest, so he started crawling towards the edge of the mass of goblins, adding to their dead whenever necessary. Suddenly he felt himself hauled roughly to his feet.

“If you can walk on two legs instead of four, I can get you to safety,” Kibrani said. Sadi simply nodded and followed as she wove her way back to the camp.

[ June 25, 2003, 14:54: Message edited by: Rallymama ]

7. Valkyrie Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

This is really interesting guys, I've enjoyed reading it. keep it up.

8. Oaz Gems: 29/31

Shouted the First, "Back off! Move away! Regroup as quickly as possible!"

The three, the Keepers retreated, and took their separate paths.

They regrouped behind a small outcrop of rock.

The Third frowned.

"What now?"

"Our cover and alias here is no longer of use," said the First, "we go find the Stave, and... eliminate those who have guarded it."

Said the Second, "Very well."

He cried out in pain. A dagger was embedded in his belly.

The First looked at him sadly, and produced a handkerchief. He removed the dagger. The Second screamed in pain.

"Staunch the flow yourself, Second," said the Third, nursing at a bleeding arm. "We have to find our allies. Hopefuly they can tend to our wounds."

"Wait," said the Second, "Do you see that glint? It's red."

Exclaimed the First, pulling himself up, "Where?"

"Over there. From, ah, it appears, from that man's eyes. Do you see him?"

The Third nodded.

"Aye. I saw him. Was he not one of those who was keeping the Stave?"

"Regardless," siad the Second, "we have to find allies. I'm going to die."

"We will not abandon you, brother," said the Third in his gravelly tone.

The other two pulled themselves to their feet, and with weapons drawn and eyes darting left and right, they cautiously, but clumsily, approached Lefkl.

9. Ancalìmon Gems: 14/31

Nice work guys, especially Rallymama! Just one comment though, Sadi isn't a coward. He isn't a real warrior either, but can survive with his knives.

=================================================

After Lelldrin's death, the human army quickly began to lose terrain. The overwhelming horde and the lack of leadership forced them to retreat, and even flee.

"Look who I found" said Kibrani. The party had already packed and was ready to leave.
    "What brings you and your army here?"
    "We were here to investigate the presence of Drogul's army" replied Sadi.
    "Who is Drogul?" said Glamrod.
    "Look, we really have no time for this. I'll explain it later, but right now we have to get out of here! My general is dead, my forces are scattered and those Goblins will be on us any minute now."
    They all agreed to that, and soon they were on their way to the north gate. Sadi knew the city well, and could lead them through narrow streets and secret passages in order to avoid the scavenging Goblins. But in order to cross the last 250 meters before the gate, they would have to go through the Goblin-filled street. There seemed no way to do this, If it wasn't for Lefkl to come up with an idea...

10. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

Lefkl pointed a bony finger to a warehouse they had passed. “Three was a lot of lantern oil in the barrels in there.” He said,

“So.” said Callain, bemused. Lefkl delivered a sharp slap to the back of his head.

“So, we pour it down on the goblins from those windows…”

“And set them alight,” finished Ilith’hen. “It sounds good to me. Kibrani, you and I shall find some suitable buildings. Callain, Glamrod fetch the barrels. Lefkl… just stay there.” With that, each party stalked their separate ways.

11. Oaz Gems: 29/31

The old man stayed there and said nothing. He thoguht about his children and grand-children. He thought about life and (more importantly to him) death. He thought about the future - or the drawing near of it.

The Three found him in the warehouse.

"You," said the First, "we need help."

"I have a name," said Lefkl, not bothering to turn around. "What do you need?"

Said the Third, "A comrade of ours is dying, and we are wounded."

Asked (or rather screamed) the Second, "Do you how to heal? Can you help? Please!"

"Shut up. Be quiet, or you'll betray my position. Aren't you aware of the goblins?"

The First glared at the old man, and tapped the hilt of his sword subconciously.

"We are aware of a lot of things. Goblins and old men are beyond our tasks."

"Hmph," snorted Lefkl, "I suppose you don't want my help then."

The Third produced his axe, dirtied and bloodstained from battle.

"You will help us, and we will not harass you. During the midst of combat, it is odd that we find an old man in the middle of a building. Especially when he has red eyes."

Lefkl sighed.

"Bring him forward."

The Second sighed a breath of relief.

12. Rallymama Gems: 31/31

Media:
    (ooc - A couple of things: First, I changed the ending of my last segment to make Sadi more prudent than cowardly. Sorry, A.! Second: Ancalimon asked for a romance, and you're about to get it. PLEASE don't leave this part all to me! I'm quite interested to see what teenage guys consider "romantic." R.)

The goblins still had great strength of numbers, so Kibrani and Illith'Hen decided that a distraction would be better than a frontal assault. Many of the creatures perished when the conflagration went up, and in the chaos that followed the group was able to escape.

"Who are these?" Illith'Hen asked when Lefkl came up with the Keepers. Sadi nodded approvingly.

"They were with my army - good men all. I'm glad to still have their blades at my side. But we must make haste away from here, lest Drogul pick up our trail."

Kibrani tried not to limp as Sadi set a quick pace, but the thigh wound she had taken from the goblins ached to the bone and throbbed with every step. She was grateful when they found an ideal campsite an hour or so before sunset and decided to break off early. Expecting to take first watch, she leaned against a tree and dozed.

Callain came by to wake her when Glamrod had supper ready. He was surprised that she took his hand to rise to her feet, and still let out a soft groan.

“You OK?” he asked, frowning. She shrugged. “Just stiff after a long march,” she replied in a tone that made him drop the matter.

Later, although their camp was undisturbed, Callain paced restlessly through the middle watch. He could feel the bloodlust rising and knew that something had to be done, soon, or the vampyric rage that simmered just under the surface of his mind would break free. Sacrificing the occasional small animal kept it in check but did nothing to satisfy his need. The stave had cleansed him once but was no longer an option. He wanted to fight and kill, to feel his enemy’s fear as he drained it of its life… He shook away the thoughts of violence, woke Illith’Hen for the next watch, and returned to his bedroll.

Kibrani mumbled and rolled towards him as he lay down. Lust replaced violence in his mind and he thought that their long flirtation might finally lead somewhere as he reached towards her. The imagined smell of blood lingered in his nostrils, inflaming him further. He stopped when he touched her arm: she was hot to the touch and slick with sweat. “Kibrani?” he called softly, giving her a gentle shake. When she didn’t respond his voice and motions became more urgent. “Kibrani!”

Illith’Hen hurried over and the others began to sit up. “What is it?”

“She’s feverish. The wound she took…” his voice trailed away as Lefkl knelt by her side. Fresh blood seeped from under the bandage on her thigh. Callain grabbed Lefkl’s arm roughly. “Save her, mage. Save her or I’ll -”

He broke off as he suddenly realized that vampyrism wasn’t about blood, it was about life – stealing unlimited supplies of life from unsuspecting victims who weren’t making good use of the miracle that had been granted to them. Before him lay a woman who had been gifted with a full measure of life and he couldn’t bear the thought that this gift be taken from her. He wanted to share her life, not consume it. Was this love? Maybe. Did she – or could she – love him in return? Perhaps. The result didn’t matter anywhere near as much as that he not lose the opportunity to find out. The rising tide of human passion quenched the vampyric fire in his soul forever.

“Yes?” Lefkl prompted gently. Callain met his gaze calmly, then dropped his hand.

“I would greatly prefer that she live,” he said simply, rising to his feet and disappearing into the woods.

13. Valkyrie Gems: 7/31

somebody has to keep this alive... I'll try, but... i dunno if it'll be any good

Callain stalked into the sparse woods that peppered the outskirts of the town, frowning at the dark sky. What the hell did it all mean? he wondered silently. The Stave purged the vampyrism from my body for a time, but now... Callain shook his head, brows knitted.

It was Glamrod who intruded on his thoughts. The dwarf stood before him for a moment, surveying Callain with an indecipherable expression on his face.
    "I thought i heard stirrings in the wood. Will you scout with me?" He said. Callain nodded mutely, and stood to pace beside the dwarf into the darkness.

Lefkl knelt beside the fevered body of Kibrani, sweat beading on his forehead. Kibrani wasn't responding to any of his mistrations, and she was slipping further into the fever. Lefkl wiped sweat from his upper lip nervously. This should not be happening, he thought. This is not a good omen.

"Can you see anything yet, dwarf?" Hissed Callain, as Glamrod's booted foot dug into his shoulder. The dwarf stepped off Callain's shoulders to stand on the steep rise, peering out into the gloomy woods.
    "Not yet. it's--" Glamrod suddenly broke off, and leapt off the rise before Callain could utter a surprised yelp. He landed square on Callain's chest, driving the air out ( vamypres need to breath at least to talk right? Can't talk w/o air, yes?) . Callain shoved ineffectively at Glamrod, who sat statue-still on his chest.
    "clumsy dw--" Callain growled, but Glamrod cut him off with a hand over his mouth and a fist in his gut. Callain whuffed in surprise, mentally promising himself to skin the dwarf.
    "Silence!" rumbled Glamrod, quietly. "Can't you hear it?"

Callain listened, and the haunting, echoing sound of hooves on stone rang through the wood. Callain froze, his hand groping for his crossbow. Glamrod stood, pulling his axe out. Callain deftly loaded a bolt onto his crossbow, and crept though the loam, taking care to not snap twigs. There was a cobblestone road not far past the rise, and Callain move silently to a screened area that gave him a clear shot at anything that might come down said road. However, Glamrod stumbled behind him, crashing into his back. They both misstepped and the soft loam gave out from under them.

Callain was momentarily dazed, and it took him a moment to take in the cloven hooves that stood next to his head. Automatically, his hand twitched, but his crossbow wasn't within reach. Callain rolled away from the creature, drawing his dagger. He came up in an offensive stance, facing---

A female of no determinate age, with long pure-white hair and a youthful face, seated lightly on the back of a stag. Both calmly looked Callain over with silver eyes. Callain relaxed minutely, seeing the girl carried no weapons. her silver eyes shone with a strange light. Her voice, silvered, like everything about her, chimed out in light words that carried heavy meaning.
    "What grows inside her is malignant, and unnatural. She needs more than what the mage can offer." Her eyes flickered to Glamrod, who was cursing and floundering in a deep heap of loam, spitting dirt. Callain felt a shock as her eyes met his again. "You know who I speak of, Callain."
    If thats bad, or not fitting, edited it and delete it... whatever.

14. Rallymama Gems: 31/31

Media:
    "They are focused on their companion. We could take the stave and be away before they knew," suggested the Third.

"Have you forgotten our orders?" the First rebuked sharply.

"We are to retrieve the stave and slay those who guard it," said the Second.

"Even if they do not understand its full power?" Third asked.

"Even so," answered the Second. The First nodded approvingly.

"We will travel with them, for now, and learn how much they know. When the time is right to strike, we shall."

Across the camp, Illith'Hen stood next to Sadi, watching helplessly as Lefkl tended Kibrani. He leaned lightly on the stave, fingering the ring that would not be dislodged from its middle. A small shock tingled through his hand and he looked sharply around the camp, but failed to notice how the eyes of the three Keepers bored into him.

15. Valkyrie Gems: 7/31

Kibrani. Callain's mind froze. Stooping swiftly, he snatched up his crossbow, unloaded it and slung it over his shoulder. He grabbed Glamrod and dragged him though the wood, as the dwarf shook leaves from his beard.

"what-? Who was speaking?" Grumbled Glamrod, "thrice curse this wood, I can't see for the loam in my eyes!"

"That was a friend," Callain said, even though he questioned her himself. He looked over his shoulder, but the girl was gone. Fog drifted silently were she had stood. Callain shrugged, and continued onward.

Illith'Hen spun and stepped back into a stance as Callain plunged into the camp. Illith'Hen relaxed and noted that Glamrod was not far behind the vampyre. But Callain did not take note of anyone else but Kibrani. Callain shouldered Sadi out of his way, and hauled Lefkl up, kneeling beside Kibrani, a frown creasing his face.
    "what...?" sputtered Lefkl, his concentration broken. Callain felt Kibrani's pulse, fluttering beneath his hand.
    "The weapon was poisoned." Callain proclaimed, dark eyes looking up at Illith'Hen. "there is a parasitic poison growing in her. Use the Stave to heal her. I do not dare contemplate what will happen when the poison takes her over."
    Illith'Hen blinked, "how do you know this?"
    "She told me, the girl. The girl on the stag, now heal her, elf!"
    Illith'Hen took up the Stave slowly, with Callain nearly growling with impatience. Illith'Hen reached inside the Stave, felt the power well up, and touched Kibrani with the Stave. Immediately, the power disappeared, running back into where ever it was drawn from. Illith'Hen frowned, and tried it again. Once more the Stave's power ran away like water through his fingers.
    "it won't work. The Stave won't work for her." Illith'Hen said finally, he turned to Callain.
    "Kibrani's going to be worse than dead in a few minutes and you tell me the Stave won't heal her?" Callain asked darkly.
    "the Stave won't work if she can be saved another way. It wont work for something you can solve yourself." Illith'Hen said calmly.
    Callain glared for a moment, and then turned back to Kibrani, his mind working quickly. This parasite must be purged from her, Callain pondered, but with what? Dragon blood would have worked, but we've none of that. What else? What--
    "Vampyric blood. My blood." he whispered out loud.

16. Rallymama Gems: 31/31

Media:
    Well, Valkyrie, I was waiting for the guys to chime in but it seems to be just you and me these days… I wonder what happened to them? Extended vacation? Debilitating sunburn? Scared off by the mention of “romance?” Whatever it is, I hope they’ll get back here, eventually. :roll: R.

Before anyone could stop him, Callain drew his dagger swiftly across his left wrist. The blood welled up quickly and he pressed the wound against the swollen gash on Kibrani’s thigh. A wave of dizziness passed over him and he could almost feel the parasites swimming through his veins as they eagerly sought this powerful new host to replace Kibrani’s weakened body. Callain fought the spinning in his head until he was certain that all of the taint had left her, then broke the contact and allowed himself to fall to the ground. He was barely aware of Illith’Hen bandaging his wrist as felt the battle being waged in his veins. Kibrani had washed the vampyrism from his soul, and now the last taint in his body burned itself out to save her in return.

The others were so focused on tending to Kibrani and Callain that only The Keepers noticed the arrival of the girl and the stag.

“Our quest does not go unnoticed by our enemy,” said the Second. “Many seek our Master’s prize.”

“Is she sent to guard it, or to retrieve it?” wondered the Third.

“That matters not, Third,” replied the First. “All who stand between our Master and the stave must die. So have we been commanded, and so shall we carry out.”

17. Valkyrie Gems: 7/31

Rallymama, I think the guys were scared off. Either by the mention of romance or by me. Their disappearance seems to coincide with my appearance... hmmm :confused: I'm not scary am I? I just don't get it.

Iliith'Hen had watched, aghast, as Callain slit his wrist and held it against Kibrani's wound. He'd watched, with further astonishment, as color returned to Kibrani's face, as she gagged, rolled over, and vomited. She had been trembling in every muscle, and had collapsed into unconsciousness soon after. Now she and Callain both lay motionless on the ground, covered by two bedrolls. Iliith'Hen replayed the past few moments in his head, frowning in confusion.
    "she? Who is 'she'?" he muttered.
    "Eh." Glamrod grunted, "we'd been scouting and she turned up on the road. I didn't get a good look at her for all the leaves in my face, so all I really saw was a brown and silver shape that might've been a deer or stag... She said somethin', too. But I was too busy spitting loam to hear."
    "Stag." Iliith'Hen murmured thoughtfully. "Kale'jhidohen . The People of the Stag."
    "The People of the Stag?" Repeated Lefkl, absently staring at Kibrani in something like shock.
    "they are an ancient tribe, who think they are seers. Their entire existance seems to be tied to the stag they ride and worship." Iliith'Hen added, "But they live in the Old Forest. And nowhere around here."
    "so what was this one doing so far from the Forest?" Sadi, who had been listening intently, asked. Iliith'Hen glanced at him, and then hoisted the Stave aloft.
    "I think it's the power of the Stave. It calls to all who would hear it. Good or..." Iliith'Hen hesitated, thinking of the Ulder'Gein "evil."

18. Rallymama Gems: 31/31

Media:
    (ooc - like I said in PM, Valkyrie - if The Guys don't get back here soon, they have no reason to complain about what they find! :lol: )

The extra day of rest wasn’t well-received by everyone. Sadi couldn’t sleep that second night. After what felt like hours of tossing about, trying to find a position for his body that would allow his mind to rest – he gave up and sat down by the remains of the campfire. He stoked it back to life and began heating water for tea. Illith’Hen took advantage of a quiet watch and sat down across from him, accepting a mug with a nod.

“I haven’t yet had a chance to thank you for getting me out of Tarsk,” Sadi said. “While I’m not one to question good fortune, I was wondering what brought you there?”

Illith’Hen took a long sip of tea before answering. The stave was never far from his hand or his thoughts, but he was reluctant to speak about it openly. Suddenly he remembered their original task. “We were searching for Kibrani’s sister, and got lost in a chain of underground caverns in the forest outside of Dhennon. Unfortunately, the news was bad…” His voice trailed away as he drank again. “We were so turned about after the battle with the Ulder’Gein th-“

“Ulder’Gein!” Sadi shouted. “They’re on the prowl again? By the gods, man, you’re lucky to be alive! Why were they attacking you?”

Illith’Hen shrugged. “We stopped trying to figure that out and concentrated on getting away. When we reached daylight again, the first road we came to brought us to Tarsk – or what was left of it, anyway. We were trying to decide where to go next when your army showed up. Funny thing is, we never saw a sign of those orcs when we went through the city.” He looked up expectantly.

“Drogul has ways of not being seen until he wants to. He also has the arrogance that usually comes with great power – something in Tarsk threatened him, so he destroyed the city. You weren’t seen as significant, so you were ignored.” Sadi sighed. “I wish I had been able to learn something of his purpose. All those men, slaughtered for nothing…”

They finished their tea and sat in silence as the sun rose and the others stirred for breakfast. Kibrani and Callain were able to travel so the group decided to move forward, but to where?

“Your path lies in flames before you. Follow the rising sun to Droangur,” a voice behind them said.

Illith’Hen spun at the mention of the name of the Great Wood. The stave thrummed in his hand, as if in agreement with the silver-eyed girl who stood in the middle of the path, one hand resting lightly on the back of a great silver-eyed stag. Sadi’s mind whirled at the name – few knew that it was Drogul’s birthplace. And what could be taking this elf from the Forest of Berwin (for what else could be “the forest outside Dhennon,” as Illith’Hen so casually called it, except that Great Wood?) to Droangur? He kept his reservations to himself.

19. Ancalìmon Gems: 14/31

Hey im back, I was on a short vacation. I'll post a new part later this day becouse I'm rather busy right now. I like what you guys did so far, keep it up! :)

20. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

[​IMG] Hey Guys Great Story!!Keep it up.

The Three should probably hold off unmasking themselves till a couple of fights later. No worrior with experience would give up a chance to study his enemy given a chance.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.