1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Square Basket Effect

Discussion in 'BoM Blogs' started by Silvery, Jun 28, 2010.

1. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    I have noticed an amazing and irratating phenomena in my local supermarket.
    The supermarket in question shall remain nameless, let's just call in Borrisons. Now, I don't know if this phenomena is specific to my local area, Borrisons in general, this particular nation or if it is a world wide thing.

The phenomena is (as the title suggests) The Square Basket Effect.
    In an effort to get rid of their crap stock, Borrisons strategically place large square baskets in the aisles and fill them full of stuff that nobody wants but everybody buys because it is discounted. The strategic placement comes in because the stuff in the baskets never relates to what the aisle itself actually contains. You have baskets of hen tooth remover in the soup aisle and elastic tape measures in the frozen fish aisle.

This is not the actual phenomena I want to discuss, it just goes some way to explain the mentality of shelf stackers in some supermarkets. The fact that people buy this crap explains the mentality of some shoppers as well.

The square basket effect comes into place when two people pushing trollies (generally trailed by several children, ancient relatives or an incredibly bored spouse) meet. These people always live about one street away from each other. Despite this, they won't have seen each other for anything from 10 years to 10 minutes (when they met in the car park). They always bump into each other at a square basket. They will then immediately push their trollies across the middle of the aisle and proceed to have a conversation that covers their entire life history, the complete unabridged version of their family trees, their work troubles and a catch up on who's died lately.
    Any attempt to move them will result in tutting, nasty looks and the ignorance of other people.

I'm seriously thinking of starting a campaign to get the damn thing moved or at the very least get them electrifyed!

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I'd petition for the installation of horns on every trolley instead. :D

3. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Tried that on my manual chair, bloody thing kept falling off.

People got out the way though. (Especially on hills)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.