1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Smear Campaign Against Kerry

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Taluntain, Aug 22, 2004.

1. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Sorry for the delay in entering the fray, but I've been up to my eyeballs in work after a nice vacation.

On topic - Tal, there hasn't been an American campaign since John Adams ran for office that didn't involve a smear (for those not up on American history, Adams was the second president and the first to really run against opposition). Hamilton and Jefferson created their own press corps to bad-mouth each other and Adams in the process, and it's been down-hill ever since.

Now, I freely admit to a dearth of knowledge on how other countries run their elections, but I can't imagine it's all that different, human nature being what it is.

As an aside, Moore isn't gonna be sued because his potshots are taken at public figures and there is a heightened standard where those people try to sue for defamation -- in other words, good luck.

On the topic of Kerry, Bush and Vietnam, my unofficial straw poll says it's all irrelevant. When push comes to shove, no one gives a rat's behind about what happened 30 years ago, they care much more about how the economy is doing right now.

2. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    I'm so glad you brought this up. This bill is one that neither the conservatives, nor the progressives like very much. Most of that "expansion" goes to the big drug companies, some of Shrub's biggest clients - oh, sorry, I think in places they are still called "contributors." But more importantly are the criminal charges leveled by Richard Foster. Who is this guy anyway?

Who's Thomas Scully?:

Hhmmm...

Suprise! Another Bushie minion vanishes quietly into the night. But let's not stop here, for the fun is just beginning.

Well, that is just opinion. However, it is shared by many, given the dubious circumstances of how this bill was passed.

Our plot thickens...

This bill certainly is one to be proud of. I can understand why the Republicans are so anxious for the American public to hear all the "gory details."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4571136/site/newsweek/

But what about the AARP? The ones who "supported" the bill? And said: "This bill is better than no bill."

Here's more from the AARP website:

http://www.aarp.org/bulletin/prescription/Articles/a2004-03-10-forces.html

3. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I don't know a lot about US politics and the muddy combination of power, money, business and political maneuvering overseas, but I feel like I'm sitting in a lecture right now. I'm just damn glad that it's not quite the same here in Australia - there are strict limitations on what is considered "political advertising", and it's nothing near as vicious or as underhanded as what I'm reading about. Sure, Labor is referring to PM John Howard as a liar, a deceiver and a man who deliberately misled the electorate, but that's nothing compared to some of what is being reported here.

All our politicians are lawyers or something similar, which means that although they might be shifty bastards by default, at least they're not in bed with corporate interests to the same extent (and part of that, I'm sure, is the fact that corporate Australia is minimal compared to corporate America). That said, I honestly hope Kerry wins - there's no way he can be as incompetent and as bad for the USA (and the rest of us) as Bush. The sooner the PNAC ideas are rejected out-of-hand, the better, IMHO.

4. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Tal ... I've learned never to argue with the man who has the microphone (or the moderators power). Opening this thread you state your anti-Bush slant, and I think you are supporting you argument by not allowing people to compare the Swift-Boat ads to F9/11. Both were big stories in the press. Both generated lots of debate.

Your key frustration in your opening post seemed to be that the White House did not renounce the ads. Did the Kerry campaign renounce F9/11?

In a recent Salon.com article, the Kerry folk are asking for the books to be taken off the shelves. Did Bush ask for F9/11 to be pulled? Did he manipulate the FCC or in some other way delay the release of the DVD's (which should be out just before November)?

The liberal folk have not let up on "Shrub" (as some tactless folk call him) since he was elected. He's had 3.5 years of negative press to overcome. The fact that he's still in the running is impressive.

If you are supporting Kerry, ask yourself a few questions. It doesn't matter what the Swiftboat vets are saying ... but (1) can you be confident that Kerry is not lying about his Vietnam record? Also, despite the fact that GW has made some mistakes in Iraq, can you (2) confidently state what Kerry's position is on that war? If you can answer "yes" to both, then sleep peacefully. If you have questions, then maybe you should take a step back and re-think your vote.

Just food for thought.
    :holy:

5. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Mathetais - Glad to see you again after some time. But:

Could we say the same for 8 years of negative, conservative press about the Clintons? By conservative accounts they were murderers, molesters, rapists, drug dealers and accused of not only renting the Lincoln bedroom for fun and profit, but stealing the furniture as well.

[ August 27, 2004, 08:24: Message edited by: Chandos the Red ]

6. DrowLicious Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

@Hacken Slash

Are you talking about a name I used to use in the forums? No. I use to be Naug, but I changed my name to Sauron the Wolf after I had a bad day and got particularly nasty in a thread. I thought it fit my evil, bitter state that day. Now I changed it to Sauron the Puppy 'cause i've since mended my ways and still pee on the carpets(j/k) :p

7. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    @Matethais

I personally think that attempts by Kerry to smear Bush, if there have been any, remain a legitimate topic of discussion in this thread. It remains connected, even if vaguely, to the original topic. However, after a quick scan on my part of this thread, I've yet to see anything that solidly connects Kerry to the production of Fahrenheit 9/11. If I'm wrong, by all means, point it out to me. I'm under the impression that movie was Moore's own project, on his own initiative. Just as books like 'Stupid White Men' were Moore's creations well before Kerry ever came into the spotlight as a presidential candidate. So ad nauseum discussion of Michael Moore and Farenheit 9/11 becomes well off-topic.

As for your suggestion that Tal's been trying to suppress debate, here's the pertinent quote from his post:

@ Everybody else here

I hope this is the last time that a reminder of 'staying on topic' needs to be given. Right?

8. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Mathetais, as Beren mentioned, there's just one problem with your thinking. Moore has, from the beginning, supported Nader, not Kerry. If you read any of his books, you'll see that he doesn't shy away from pointing out the screw-ups of the Democrats (and he does). He just thinks that they're still better than Bush, an opinion I share. So by default, F 9/11 is completely off-topic, as was said before, and again.

P.S.

And yes, I'll sooner trust Kerry's word than Bush's. But, of course, this is a personal choice.

9. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    1) I honestly don't care if some of the details of Kerry's war records are less glowing than he makes them out to be. How many tales don't grow in the telling? What I am SURE of is that the Swift Boat group has a much more explicit track record of outright lying than does Kerry.

2) Kerry's position on the war in Iraq is a very small piece of the overall picture. Maybe we shouldn't know exactly where anyone wants to take whole Iraq situation because the situation is so fluid and changeable. Again, while I may not be sure of Kerry's stance on this one little element of everything a president has to do, I am sure that I prefer his stances on many other issues.

10. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Tal & Beren ... some of the Swiftboat group are democrats who voted for Clinton. Others were supporters of McCain. You really can't write them off as being in Bush's back pocket.

Anyways, Tal, your idea here doesn't scare me as you don't get a vote. Its Bel, Rally and the rest of the US crew I'll be praying for (or against!!!! ;) ) :good:

11. Rallymama Gems: 31/31

Media:
    While it's people who are willing to believe whatever the right-wing propaganda machine churns out that I'll be praying for/against. ;)

12. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Ummm... Are you sure this is Australia and not the U.S.? What these people are saying about John Howard is the EXACT same thing the Dems are saying about Bush! Except they do it in reference to the war in Iraq.

13. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Interesting debate and I have three links to contribute, and a few thoughts.

The first one is about that politics in America have IMO ceased to be a poltical thing - the GOP has managed to persuade the Americans that elections are about culture and made America the country with the rightest public opinion in the world, to the extent that people vote GOP against their interests.
    GOP legislature may have crippled your income to lower wage, took away working standards, crippled unions and allowed companies control markets as a result of generous deregulation. Nevermind ... as Bush so nicely told his wealthy friends at dinner in Fahrenheit: "You are my base!"
    Not important to people who perceive the issue of, say abortion, or gay marriage, or gun control, as more pressing. Looking at US PR and elections campaigns I feel it is all about the importance of emotions over facts.

And that's the article: Bush, the working class hero.

The swift boat vet club pummeling on Kerry is just a convenient, denyable, way to achieve smearing the enemy, or political opponent. "It's not us, the Bush team, but concerned US citizens, more, war veterans!" :grin:
    The Swift Boat attack on Kerry uses a classic propaganda tactic: have PR professionals organize and launch a well-funded smear attack, an ad hominem barrage against Kerry's integrity, and do it through a front group with enough separation from the Bush campaign to pretend independence. Then use the right-wing echo chamber to keep the issue alive and churning, spitting plenty of mud and confusion. It's a strategy that is virtually guaranteed to hurt Kerry in the polls - and as there is election time that's Rove's way to do his job: Playing dirty.

The swift boat vet approach has two key advantages for Bush's campaigners:</font>
    1. Camouflage:
      By putting the attack in the mouths of Vietnam veterans, the Bush campaign has given its message a degree of credibility that it would not otherwise enjoy.
    2. Emotion over facts:
      It replaces factual discourse with emotion-laden symbolism. Sometimes the identity of the third-party messenger becomes more important than the content of the message itself. The Swift Boat Veterans are designed to symbolize "veterans versus Kerry," evoking associations and emotions that are difficult to address through logic or debate.
    GOP campaigners view politics as "the continuation of war by other means". That has an impact on their methods and especially applies to Rove.

So that's what this is about: Have someone else say it.

An overview on the swift boat vets, if no one has posted it yet, is here:
    http://www.disinfopedia.org/wiki.phtml?title=Swift_Boat_Veterans_for_Truth

PS: personally I find the name of that front interesting enough: It implies that there are lies about swift boat vets, and by criticising Kerry they imply he lies - aren't they out for truth? Really brilliant, these razor-sharp, or should I say, cut-throat, GOP PR goons.

PPS: Quite interesting is the funding info on the swift boat guys on disinfopedia. It has raised some $ 150.000, which mainly come from 3 sources:
    So the generous donors for the swift boat veterans are people working to discredit Kerry on Vietnam under Nicon already and friends of Bush's election campaign manager ... so it seems to me that Rove asked some likeminded friends for assistance, a smear campaign against the other candidate ... likely? Absolutely.

[ August 29, 2004, 12:15: Message edited by: Ragusa ]

14. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Fair call, I see your point Aldeth. As I see it, the principle similarity between "children overboard" and the justification for the war in Iraq (term used loosely) both here and in the US was that both were exaggerated grossly and based on faulty or fraudulent information. On that basis, there is little or no difference, I agree. From way over here, it seems that the US election is running on the basis of "who can you trust?" and "who is the better military man?" The emphasis on the personality of the candidates is bound to bring out slurs and attacks on their character, as it is an attempt to discredit Bush/Kerry the man, rather than Bush/Kerry the Republican/Democrat. In Australia, the attacks directed at the leader of the government are diffused over senior party members and aimed at discrediting the entire cabinet/ministry.

I think the other difference is in the intensity and vitriol in the statements. The election was called yesterday for October 9th, and although it's early days yet, so far everyone is talking about economic policy, health, education and national security. The delving-into personal lives and affairs doesn't seem to be happening here, and probably won't during the election campaign to any significant degree. Maybe it's to do with the position the US occupies in global economics and politics (as opposed to Australia), but the same amount of cut-throat willingness to do anything it takes to get the upper hand doesn't seem present here. Possibly this is because voting is compulsory and the majority of Australians hate the government no matter what happens, maybe it's because there are strictures on political advertising, probably also because there is far less money involved in Australian politics than in US politics.

15. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    Wow, if the SBV could cause such havoc with 150K, now I understand why the Bush campaign is so upset about the $60 Million spent against him.

I know the link is from foxnews, but it is an AP article.

16. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    That's what they started with, you can be sure they ended up using way more than that. The air time alone would have cost dozens of times that much. Unless, of course, the Bush-friendly TV stations donated it for free...

17. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Agreed. Those ads were shown in primetime in several states. A 30 second spot during primetime easily costs more than $150,000. The money they had wouldn't be enough to show the commerical more than once.

18. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    Once again, I think you are over-focusing because the attack campaign was critical of Kerry and ignoring that the campaign critical of Bush is far greater. You can't have your cake and eat it too. I believe Bush is correct in that the entire concept of the 527 organizations is flawed and they should be abolished. The fact that the federal elections committee is dragging its heels is not being treated with outrage by the media is a scandal of its own.

19. Taluntain

Media:
    [​IMG]
    That's a good one, considering Bush didn't want to do anything about them until the SBV frauds were exposed, but the damage to Kerry had already been done. Throwing away an empty shell after firing - yea, Bush is really being too kind. Not.

20. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I disagree with that statement. I believe Bush has been complaining about them for a long time. See the above link about his complaining to the Federal Elections Committee about them. He has been their target a hell of a lot longer than Kerry. It was only the attack on Kerry that woke the media up.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.