1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The silly LOTR movie

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Ragusa, Dec 31, 2001.

1. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

well you can't get month's to pass like month's in a film. I missed Tom too, though I don't think they thought him crucial to the story and thus cut him out.
    Radagast is somewhat in the story, not himself, though the butterfly Gandalf speaks to, sums up this story rather well (compared to the 2min it got to "explain", I doubt it makes sense to anyone who hasn't read the book though.)

2. Rhythm Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

Hmm, my interpretation of the moth coming to Gandalf was that it was purely by chance. Radagast was removed from the movie, and his powers given to Gandalf, allowing him to speak to the moth that was luckily flying by.

3. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

Radegast was a small detail in the movie like many things that are left out.... Many of the book is not shown so you can't say weather the stay in Lorien was 1 day or 1 month....

In these days, Dwarfs went to the council of Elrond and they united against the same enemy. LoTR doesn't show anything of much hate between Elves and Dwarfs in this time.

Geladriel a criminal in Exile? Now you should be careful. All Elves where under the Curse of Feanor. But Geladriel is no criminal, nowhere in the Silmarillion is told that she had part of the Kinslaying of Alqualondë.. it was told that the sons and daughters of Finarfin (Geladriel's father) didn't walk in the front line but at the end of the great host that went to Middle Earth.

And after the War of Wrath and the destruction of Beleriand, most of the Noldor returned to Valinor, but Galadriel and Celeborn remained in Middle-earth, so she was no Exile, she chose freely to stay in Middle Earth. She is not evil so speak not evil of her...

4. bp Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

In the book, the hatred of the Dwarves and Elves is very much active; so active, that the entire party including Legolas had to be blindfolded to get into LothLorien. They left that out, and the reason for it too. Just a vague reference to "enemies".

Galadriel was an Exile. She was not able to go to the Havens and return to the West. Her refusal to take the freely offered Ring from Frodo was what enabled her to return from Exile. Although she was "redeemed" in the movie, they never said why. She's not evil, but was a "criminal in exile". I just felt like they should have tried to explain it some more. Celeborn had never been to Valinor, and was not one of the Noldor.

5. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Ok, Many of you speak of things I do not fully recall from my reading of the book(s). Some of this is in different threads but I want clarification of something. I did not know that Gandalf or Saruman, or even Sauron were Maiar. Nor did I know that Galadriel was supposedly in exile. Is that because I have missed things in Lord of the Rings, or is that knowledge based on reading other books eg the Silmarillion.

6. Azardu Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Ironbeard:

I think the part about the Istari/wizards being Maiar is found in the Silmarillion, without boing completely sure.

I'm not sure if this has previously been mentioned in the thread (too lazy to look), but I believe they were sent by the Valar around the end of the first milennium of the third age, to aid in the battle against Sauron.

You'll probably find the info on Galadriel there as well.

Damn, I really need to read these books again.

7. Namuras Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Yes, they were sent to 'aid', or to 'guide', if you will.

Also, Galadriel had the option to go back to Valinor whenever she wished to (after Morgoth had been defeated, that is), if I remember correctly, just like any other of the Eldar. Leaving Valinor was hardly a crime, and there is no mention of what she did during the Kinslaying of Alqualondë, but I can hardly picture her fighting with sword and armour... ;)

8. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

Indeed. After the War of Wrath in wich Morgoth (from origin he was a Vala) was overthrown and Angband made to a ruin, many of the Noldor moved to Valinor. Geladriel freely decided to stay, maybe because of the fact that Celeborn was a Sindar, that had never been in Valinor. Much more info about Geladriel can be found in the Silmarillion. So Geladriel was no Exile but one that freely chose to be a great queen in Valinor.

The Silmarillion tells less about the Istari, but Unfinished Tales contains a whole chapter about these wizards that where indeed send to aid in the war against Sauron the Maia.

9. bp Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I am relatively certain that Galadriel was banned from Valinor. Her rejecting the Ring from Frodo was what enabled her to go back.

She did not directly commit any crimes, but she did go with Feanor (being a cousin) and accepted the banishment.

Did she ride on the elven ships (that got burned), or did she come over on the Grinding Ice? I can't remember.

10. Feirhanith Dengeird Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

i hate Arwen!!! she had far too much of a part in the film and took too much credit for the parts she was in. the 'little' relationship' between Aragon and her was way too soon and in too much detail than was needed.

i didnt like when she sommoned up the wave in the river that washed the ringwraiths away that was not her part!

11. Alyr Arkhon Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Arwen had a very little part in the film. She wasn't embarrassing, I think. But I can understand you. They changed the plot in the film.

12. Gormenghast Gems: 10/31

I am worried since i have read the LOTR books and have seen the movie. Didnt Boromir die in the second book? Then when you saw the movie he dies in the Fellowship of the ring.
    Am i correct?
    They certianly have changed alot of things but imagine if they didint! We would come up with a 10 hour movie! Which wouldnt be too bad but that is my opinion!

13. Maldir Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Yes, but he dies in the first chapter of The Two Towers, so the plot hasn't been altered here - we just carried on a little bit into The Two Towers to get a cleaner ending for FoTR.

14. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG]
    If you don't like the LotR movie, go read the Wizards of the Coast review (you'll find links in the SP news) and get some sense into your head.

15. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

About that WoTC: It is not exactly like the LoTR story however it all looks great. As I already said, when you like WoTC compare a movie with a book you will always be disappointed, especially with such a big and detailed book.

16. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

"disappointed"

Only if you go in expecting the movie to be, word-for-word/line-for-line/page-for-page, the book.

Which (literally) converts to about 1 hour per 50 pages. And that's 'Episode-1' style, where there are no pauses between character dialogue, meaning you have bobbing heads instead of actors. Script readers instead of character interaction.

They have to make money on the movie, which factors in to all the 'artistic' side of it as well. By definition, the movie will (at least, in our lifetimes) always be different from the book.

I thought the adaptation was outstanding. Take someone who has never read the book (me, when I first watched it). I understood the plot, could follow the movie, and *THEN*, bought all three books to read.

I would not be even slightly surprised to find out that Tolkien sold more books in the months of December and January than in the past 10 years, tallied. That's why you don't hear much out of his son right now...

17. Christopher_Lee Gems: 10/31

Dear all,

I was serioiusly dissapointed in the new film... I thought that elves were supposed to have wings?

Also, I read the book of the film after seeing it and thought that was miles better - at least it didn't end in such a stupid, abrupt way.

One thing though, I don't like the way that Tolkein is trying to cash in on the success of the film by writing more books. Having said that, "The hobbit" was quite good also, shame about the blatant commerciallism of it all!

Anyone else feel like me?

You can profit from this or be destroyed...

18. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I take it that you are a troll trying to be cute. Not nice.

Nothing that you said made any sense. If you read the book of the film, you would know that it ends MORE abruptly than the movie. If you retrieved your head from your rectum, you would know that Tolkien has been dead for 30 years and is not writing anymore books. If you had clue 1, you would realize that Tolkien sold the movie rights before his death and his estate is not profiting directly from the movie.

But you knew all (or most of) this anyway. Trolling wouldn't be fun otherwise.

19. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] If you thought Arwen had too big a role in this movie...I fear more is in store. Did you notice that Aragorn left Riverdell without Anduril re-forged????

Who do you suppose will deliver it to him once it is re-made? My guess is that Arwen will come to Aragorn at some point in the next movie and hopefully will only deliver the sword to him - if she actually fights alongside him?!?!?! **shudder**

What do ya think of my prediction?

[This message has been edited by Sir Belisarius (edited February 04, 2002).]

20. Sapiryl Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG] I thought that the film was fabulous. As the movies were advertised as being BASED on the novels. The only true complaints I had were Glorfindel and Tom Bombadil (sp? I haven't read the books in years).

As Arwen shows up later in the trilogy (with that whole bet between Gimli and the other guy) and sets sail on the elven vessel, I can see why they embellished her role. Glorfindel has only that one scene in the trilogy. I can see leaving Tom Bombadil out as well. Yeah, he was a good guy and everything but he was simply filler.

Truthfully, it would take a mini-series to complete just the Fellowship of the Rings and would cost close to billions in the long run to produce. I actually like the movie better than the books.

Finally...What is everyone's problem with Boromir?! He was probably one of the better actors in the movie. His death scene was very touching.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.